Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John H Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just got back from a two day (16 hour) FAA Inspection course at Rainbow Aviation in Northern California. Excellent course. I will be able to do all my FAA annuals on any E-LSA that I own now or in the future. The instruction from Carol & Brian Carpenter was really first class.

Anyway Brian told the class that the Firestar is unable to complete a aileron roll because of the wing design. He said the only way to recover is to put the aircraft in a dive (I hope I have this right).

Not that I intend to do any aileron rolls in my Firestar II but what's the story? Is this true? Is there a flaw in the Firestar's wing design?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

At 04:00 AM 3/12/2007, John H Murphy wrote:
Quote:

Not that I intend to do any aileron rolls in my Firestar II but what's the
story? Is this true? Is there a flaw in the Firestar's wing design?

It's not a design flaw; it's just a matter of the design parameters
chosen. The Firestar isn't designed to be an aerobatic ship. The flat
bottom airfoil is good for low speed performance and flying right side up,
but flat bottom airfoils just don't work very well upside down. A Pitts
Special can fly upside down all day long, but it doesn't have any hear the
STOL capability of a Kolb, either.

-Dana

--
--
For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

He probably should not have used the term "Unable To complete a Roll". The flat bottom wing does not fly well upside down, but they do roll. You do not have to go negative G to roll a plane.

Chances of it being successfully done are probably pretty low, im sure the great majority of people would screw it up and probably overstress the airplane, or kill themselves.

But to say it "Cant Be Done", I just dont buy that.

JettpIlot

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
jghunter(at)nol.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

well, the procedure to roll a c-150 or a c-172 is to add power, lower
nose and roll... maybe toss is a bit rudder. and even then it is a
wallowed out roll at best. all the time trying to not overspeed nor over
stress...

so given the limited envelope of an ultralight such as a firestar... how
could it be done? and would it not be just a wallow through?

just curious...

jamn

do not archive

On 3/12/2007, "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

He probably should not have used the term "Unable To complete a Roll". The flat bottom wing does not fly well upside down, but they do roll. You do not have to go negative G to roll a plane.

Chances of it being successfully done are probably pretty low, im sure the great majority of people would screw it up and probably overstress the airplane, or kill themselves.

But to say it "Cant Be Done", I just dont buy that.

JettpIlot

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=100107#100107

jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

Normally in a low performance airplane you would get some speed, raise the nose 20 degrees, then do your aileron roll. The slower the roll response the higher you raise the nose to start; that way you won't exceed Vne on recovery. The nose should end up only slightly nose low; not 30 degrees nose down.

jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

I`ll bet Dennis S. Knows the answer to this.!!
---

jwdfly16(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
Dennis will not have to respond. Can not be done.
You had better take care of that Mark III.
Jack D. do not archive
[quote]

I`ll bet Dennis S. Knows the answer to this.!!
---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

The nose should end up only slightly nose low; not 30 degrees nose
down.
|
| --------
| Jim

Jim:

Firestars, especially the early model Firestar, would not roll. I
used to practice hours at a time. Even had my old buddy on the ground
coaching me with a hand held radio. I could get her upside down and
she would fall out of it. Was not problem other than the fact we
could only get half way through the maneuver. No big problem when one
screwed up, turn loose of the stick and she would start flying again.
Amazing little airplane, but.............she was not built for
aerobatics and tried to kill me when she had had enough. Aerobatics
are for aerobatic aircraft. Aerobatics are not for little airplanes
that are not rated as such. I have not done an aerobatic maneuver, on
purpose, in 17 years tomorrow, if I remember correctly.

If some of you all still want to do loops and rolls, hammer heads, and
all the rest of the fun stuff in a Kolb, be my guest. However, please
remember the penalty for performing these maneuvers is a great
possibilty you will die. Thanks, Jim Handbury, for designing and
manufacturing a great deployed emergency parachute. Dennis Souder
used a similar parachute when he folded the wing on the Ultrastar six
years prior.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim Handbury, for designing and
| manufacturing a great "HAND" deployed emergency parachute.
|
| john h
| mkIII

Titus, Alabama
jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron rolls in a Firestar - It cannot be done? Reply with quote

I did not mean to imply that you can do an aileron role in any airplane. That is not the case, at least not safely. See how well it does through the first 90 degrees. If not satisfied, ABORT. If not confident in your ability and the airplane, do not try it. It takes a long time to complete that last 270 degrees of roll in a low performane airplane. Do not apply G while rolling; wait until wings are level.

Legaly, if experimental you need to be above 5000 agl and wear an approved parachute.

jim wrote:
Normally in a low performance airplane you would get some speed, raise the nose 20 degrees, then do your aileron roll. The slower the roll response the higher you raise the nose to start; that way you won't exceed Vne on recovery. The nose should end up only slightly nose low; not 30 degrees nose down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: