Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 Starter Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

I just recently developed a problem with the starter on my 582. I have a one year old Odyssey 18 Amp battery that used to spin the engine just fine. Now, I get one turn and not enough to start. The battery indicates almost fully charged and the Key West is putting out between 13.8 and 14.5 volts. I've pulled the battery and it does seem to have a problem when charging with my battery charger. Will also replace/clean all ground wires from the battery to the engine. Just wondering worst case if the "Starter" itself could be the culprit. Any first hand experience with this?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Those Odysseys are supposed to be good for 5 or 6 years, but it's possible that you have a shorted cell. Unlikely the starter. Cleaning the ground and power lugs is a good idea. Have you tried to jump it? If it spins right up like normal then you have a bad battery. If it doesn't, then suspect the starter or terminals.
Good luck.
Deke

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

henrysfork1(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> The starter is probably dragging.

Do not archive
[quote] ---

dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Deke,
That's when things started to get strange. I took a fully charged car battery and jumped the system. The voltage dropped on both batteries after one swing of the prop. In order to get the engine to start I had to temporarily remove the prop. Got a good and fast start...Once the engine warmed up (being very careful on the RPM's), I shut down and reinstalled the prop. Warm engine started right up on the first swing???? The above makes me suspect of a bad ground connection or, the dreaded bad starter. Troubleshooting to continue....
Something is telling me not to sell my plane. I had an Air Force Major on the way to PHF this morning to purchase my plane and I really needed to get it started. About half way to my location, his aircraft radio bit the dust. He had to turn around since he couldn't enter class "D" without radio. This is the second time a prospective buyer has had to cancel due to similar junk. Something ain't right here???

Don Smythe
[quote] ---

dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Ok, can you be a little more specific. What is a dragging starter?

Don Smythe

Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

Malcolmbru(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

some time my starter will just buzz the prop will move a little then the next hit of the switch it will role just fine and start. my problem is different than yours don maybe a little feed back on mine too good luck don mal michigan

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

tstaley(at)centurytel.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Don,
A dragging starter is caused by the armiture rubbing against the housing of the starter as it spins around turning the motor.
LeRoy
[quote][b]

smokey_bear_40220(at)yaho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Hi Don and Malcholm,

Quote:
From Malcolm,

"some time my starter will just buzz the prop will
move a little then the next hit of the switch it will
role just fine and start. my problem is different
than yours don. maybe a little feed back on mine too
good luck don mal michigan"
Quote:
From Don Smythe

Quote:
Deke,
That's when things started to get strange. I
took a fully charged car battery and jumped the
system. The voltage dropped on both batteries after
one swing of the prop. In order to get the engine
to start I had to temporarily remove the prop. Got
a good and fast start...Once the engine warmed up
(being very careful on the RPM's), I shut down and
reinstalled the prop. Warm engine started right up
on the first swing???? The above makes me suspect
of a bad ground connection or, the dreaded bad
starter. Troubleshooting to continue....

Malcholm, yours' do sound different if Don is jumping
to the aircraft battery, not the engine....

Don, hopefully a bad ground or starter switch.
Consider this though:

I don't know the construction of your starters, but
there are only a few variations on the theme. Each
has to have some kind of solenoid to engage the
starter to the flywheel and an internal high amp
contact to power the starter motor. (Unless you have
a starter/generator connected to the engine all the
time. Not likely?)

I did a field repair on mine a few years ago when the
starter solenoid contactor failed internally. In my
case, the solenoid is supposed to engage the starter
and also make the high amp connection that gives the
electron path to the starter motor. This connector
had burned sufficiently to not allow high current
flow. First it was intermitant, then it got like
yours Malcholm, where it would hardly make contact.

If this is the case, you should hear the solenoid
cleanly snap the starter gear in place, but then the
starter motor acts weak. If the solenoid or contacts
to it are bad, or the battery is weak, the solenoid
itself vibrates or engages weakly. Since this all
happens very fast, you really have to listen for the
solenoid action before the starter action.

In my case, I was not able to find someone who was
able to rebuild mine quickly, or get a replacement, so
I made my own contact out of the brass end of a large
$10 fuse from the local hardware store. My repair
lasted until I sold..... ah.... my old Dodge Caravan
at 200,000 miles. Sorry, but a starter is a starter.

If you want to trouble shoot it, try the following:

With the prop and ignitions off, connect your jumper
cables directly to the starter cable bolt at the
starter and to a ground on the motor. Battery
negative to ground of course. This takes the aircraft
battery and other wiring out of the loop.

With a third small jumper wire, connect the jumper
battery + at the starter contact to the small wire
post on the starter used for your start switch. Be
careful! That should turn the starter over. Make
sure the ignitions are off first. Electrons can flow
in directions you don't anticipate.

If it spins up like new, you have a wiring problem on
the plane or bad battery, not a bad starter.

If it still shows problems, it is either the starter
motor, or the starter solenoid. That is all you have
connected.

Don, you said it worked OK with the prop off. You can
carefully try this with the prop on, just be careful
when the starter motor swings the prop. It may take
this greater load to make the problem occur, if your
solenoid contact can still pass some amps, but not
full power.

This is not to start the engine, as I said. Keep the
fuel and ignition off. All this is done with a jumper
battery up front taking the plane's systems out of the
loop.

Malcholm, yours does sound like the starter more than
Don's, but both of you need to troubleshoot to know.

On the starter, you could also have a bad solenoid,
bad solenoid contact, dirty armature contacts, or a
physical problem like case rubbing, or bad bearings.
Don't know if you really want to break it down past
starter or airplane though. Just something if you
want to repair your own starter. Some things are
easier than others.

Hope that helps,

Kurt S.

PS: When I was young, I took stuff apart all the time
at home. Good education, but when I got older and it
stopped being cute, I had to learn to put it all back
together too. :~(

Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.
Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Good morning Mr. Smythe. Yup, that's pretty strange all right. Personally, I'm skeptical about the prop having anything to do with it. Probably just coincidence and one of those things that only confuses the issue, causing you to go off in the wrong direction in your trouble shooting. Kurt's idea about taking the electrics out of the picture by going directly to the starter has merit, but isn't your starter at the back of the engine inside that cubby hole in the firewall? Still, you can just use one jumper lead to engine ground and the other to the main power lead going to the starter wherever you can hook on to it.
The reason I don't think it's the starter itself is because they will usually give warnings long before they give up the ghost.
If none of this works, the Aeroelectric list has a bunch of electrical geeks that love this sort of thing and I'm sure they could lead you to a quick resolution.
Good luck.
Deke

---

dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

Deke,
The only thing about the prop is, when removed it takes all the load off the starter/engine. Even a weak battery will spin the Rotax with no prop load. You're right, the starter is tucked away so I can't get to the hot lug. I don't like jumping 12 volts directly to a starter. You always get a nice arch before you can get good contact. I would prefer to take the 12 volts directly to the starter through a temporary knife switch or similar device.
BTW, it has always been a strong suggestion to "never" run a 582 with the prop removed. I can tell you this much, if you ever do this you better make sure the throttle is off and stand by with your fingers on the kill switch. As soon as the engine starts it will want to idle at about 2400 RPM's. As the engine warms up the RPM's will creep up to about 3000 + by the time you get to operating temps. Don't even try to give any throttle or it can run away easily.

Don Smythe
Do Not Archive

---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

I was talking to out old, MIA, quick lipped, bud Dave F. He runs a shop and rebuilds starters among other things. (Jack of all trades) He said he got banned... Another topic not for here.

I asked him if he thought the bushings on the starter might be worn to the point that the starter would not produce the proper torque to swing the engine.

What he said was:

Denzo brushes and a clean of commutator bars would likely fix it . All avail but NOT at Rotax.
The starter drive on C box is expen$ive........ The housing the starter bolts to is $350 alone.

He also warned me not to tighten the starter too tight and break that part of the case - it is rubber mounted.......... It should have about 1mm clearance ( .040" )

He doubts it is a bad connection but said it was a possibility.

If you want to contact him directly on this try: davef(at)cfisher.com (davef(at)cfisher.com)

I thought this was pertinent to the list so I decided to chance my membership and make the post for him.

Noel

[quote] --

Malcolmbru(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: 582 Starter Problem Reply with quote

I think the need to add moor power to the starter or take the drag off the motor is a sign the starter is wearing out. cleaning some connectors and replacing the other electric parts is all you can do before you take the motor out and I know how much that sucks.  A place like leaf or lockwood can tell you in what order to replace the parts and which ones fix the problem most commonly . If I called them tomorrow they could tell me why my starter acts the way it douse and how to fix it. mal

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: