Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

filling air tanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild.blue(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Y'all--

I s'pose it goes without saying that any pressurized vessel (like onboard air tanks) can be dangerous. You may recall that at the Reno races last year a very expensive (and formerly very pretty) P-51 had a very large hole blown in it because somebody overfilled an oxygen tank.  Didn't happen right away either--took a while after the fill. Fortunately (?), it happened on the ground, not in flight, nobody hurt.

We gotta worry about both the contents and the pressure.  Be careful out there, especially if you let somebody else service your air supply. Dennis' suggestion to place a conspicuous label--"compressed air only"--by the fill port is a good one. I'd also add "maximum pressure 50 bar (735PSI)".

P.S.
For sale: beautiful Yak-52TW, only 168TTSNEW, Whirlwind 3-blade, King, Garmin, lights, baggage, lotsa fuel etc. Imported and sold here new--only $135K--half the price of a new Yak-52TW. See my website/Barnstormers or call for details. Hope to have her at ARS for the benefit of inquiring minds.

Jerry Painter
Wild Blue Aviation
425-876-0865
JP(at)FlyWBA.com (JP(at)FlyWBA.com)
http://www.FlyWBA.com

Time: 11:09:36 AM PST US
From: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com ([email]dsavarese(at)elmore.rr Ecom[/email])>
Subject: O2 in air tank??????

This same situation happened a few years back and literally ejected the
pilot from the Yak 52. It blew lines, tank and everything else. If someone
was in the back seat, they would not have made it because of the shrapnel.

Although there is no clear way to prevent someone unfamiliar with the
airplane with filling the pneumatic system with O2, putting a conspicuous
label at/around the external air fill port saying "compressed air only" in
big, bold, letters may help at some point in time.

Dennis

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

My question for everyone is ... why do you need a placard? Who is PIC? Are you not regulating your own a/c? The two times I have had to bum air at airports I got the maintainers to donate their nitro and it worked fine, but I knew better than to put pure O2 in. I think this might be just a case of darwinism and you need to watch what you do with your ride. Don't know the particulars of Reno, but the previous posts about dudes using pure O2 are frankly scary and self-critiquing!
Smash

Jerry Painter <wild.blue(at)verizon.net> wrote:
[quote] v\:* {behavior:url (#default#vml);} v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml) } Y'all--

I s'pose it goes without saying that any pressurized vessel (like onboard air tanks) can be dangerous. You may recall that at the Reno races last year a very expensive (and formerly very pretty) P-51 had a very large hole blown in it because somebody overfilled an oxygen tank. Didn't happen right away either--took a while after the fill. Fortunately (?), it happened on the ground, not in flight, nobody hurt.

We gotta worry about both the contents and the pressure. Be careful out there, especially if you let somebody else service your air supply. Dennis' suggestion to place a conspicuous label--"compressed air only"--by the fill port is a good one. I'd also add "maximum pressure 50 bar (735PSI)".

P.S.
For sale: beautiful Yak-52TW, only 168TTSNEW, Whirlwind 3-blade, King, Garmin, lights, baggage, lotsa fuel etc. Imported and sold here new--only $135K--half the price of a new Yak-52TW. See my website/Barnstormers or call for details. Hope to have her at ARS for the benefit of inquiring minds.

Jerry Painter
Wild Blue Aviation
425-876-0865

From: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com (dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com)>

pilot from the Yak 52. It blew lines, tank and everything else. If someone

Dennis

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

f4ffm2(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Well, uh, gee gosh....that's an "interesting" position to take.  I must confess that there have been 1 or 2 occasions in my flying career when other people have done maintenance/service to "my" airplanes....military, airline, and even (gasp, say it isn't so!!!) my Yak or Sukhoi that I didn't personally supervise.  I guess I just didn't realize what a dangerous act I was performing by having professional maint./service people work on my airplanes without my direct supervision. I guess I should have realized that they could have made a mistake....and I should be there 24/7 to correct them.  Holy crap! (Of course, in the most politically correct sense of the expression...no insult intended to any real or imiginary religious being nor to any fecal matter that might be involved).
Roger________________________________________________________________________________
On Mar 30, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Sarah Tobin wrote:
[quote]My question for everyone is ... why do you need a placard?  Who is PIC?  Are you not regulating your own a/c? The two times I have had to bum air at airports I got the maintainers to donate their nitro and it worked fine, but I knew better than to put pure O2 in.  I think this might be just a case of darwinism and you need to watch what you do with your ride.  Don't know the particulars of Reno, but the previous posts about dudes using pure O2 are frankly scary and self-critiquing!
Smash

Jerry Painter <wild.blue(at)verizon.net (wild.blue(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
[quote]Y'all--

I s'pose it goes without saying that any pressurized vessel (like onboard air tanks) can be dangerous.  You may recall that at the Reno races last year a very expensive (and formerly very pretty) P-51 had a very large hole blown in it because somebody overfilled an oxygen tank.  Didn't happen right away either--took a while after the fill. Fortunately (?), it happened on the ground, not in flight, nobody hurt.

We gotta worry about both the contents and the pressure.  Be careful out there, especially if you let somebody else service your air supply.  Dennis' suggestion to place a conspicuous label--"compressed air only"--by the fill port is a good one.  I'd also add "maximum pressure 50 bar (735PSI)".

P.S.
For sale:  beautiful Yak-52TW, only 168TTSNEW, Whirlwind 3-blade, King, Garmin, lights, baggage, lotsa fuel etc.  Imported and sold here new--only $135K--half the price of a new Yak-52TW.  See my website/Barnstormers or call for details.  Hope to have her at ARS for the benefit of inquiring minds.

Jerry Painter
Wild Blue Aviation
425-876-0865

From: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com (dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com)>

pilot from the Yak 52.  It blew lines, tank and everything else.  If someone

Dennis

---

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Every fill port for every type of fluid or gas that could in any way be
serviced by line personnel should be labeled and clearly marked to
prevent ANY type of confusion. The idea to add one where one may be
missing is unquestionably sound judgement.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

P.s. Smash, I too like to do everything myself as well. BUT.....Do you
know for sure which ones are legal for you to actually do, or even
Supervise? That list would make an interesting question some day, but
for me... I just do it and worry about the consequences later. In other
words, I go too far the OTHER direction...admittedly. As for pure oxygen
being pumped into your tank.... How are you going to know FOR SURE (I
repeat... FOR SURE) just WHAT is inside the bottle that is connected to
your aircraft and filling up your tank? The only way to be 100%
absolutely positive is for you to have filled the tank, that is actually
filling your aircraft. I do that... Do you?

--

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Guys,
There is one way to absolutely know if what is in the green bottle is pure
O2. Hold a lighter infront of the nozzle!
You'll get the light show of your life if it is pure 02. If it is
compressed air, you'll blow your lighter's flame out!
I for one do not have the gonades to do that and am not looking for a
Darwin Award so I'm not going to do something that stupid.
Now a more common sense way would be to look at the green bottle, say "that
is a GREEN" bottle with a yolk on it. That must mean the it has or had 02
in it and it will probably do some serious damage to my airplane or me if I
put it in my fill port. The only way you know what goes in your airplane is
to monitor what is being done to it. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of
that pimplely assed lineboy or that crusty ol FBO manager! Learn your
airplanes and know what is being done to them.
Doc
Quote:
[Original Message]
From: Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E
<mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

Quote:
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 4/4/2007 2:30:59 PM
Subject: RE: filling air tanks

MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

[quote]

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

--

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Hi Doc.

I am from an area where everyone who lives here is known as a "good ole boy". The color on the high pressure bottles around here are the color that happened to be in the spray gun when the guy pulled the trigger that released the mist.

There is a grey and black tank that is filled with compressed air instead of nitrogen. A yellow and green that is filled with CO2. An argon tank that who knows WHAT is inside of it.

So buddy.... unless you DO test it, or know for sure who filled that bottle last, you are STILL at the mercy of the folks at the FBO.

mgb

p.s. The local dive shop will fill any bottle with compressed air that you bring in as long as it has a valid test stamp. They could care less what color it is... after all, diving tanks come in any color that you want, starting with blue. The only people I have seen get really serious about tank color are people that work in the local hospital, but hey.. they are not good ole boys.

p.p.s. We could always put a canary in a box and spray some gas in it's face and see what happens! Worked for the coal miners! Smile

Roger Kemp <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Roger Kemp"

Guys,
There is one way to absolutely know if what is in the green bottle is pure
O2. Hold a lighter infront of the nozzle!
You'll get the light show of your life if it is pure 02. If it is
compressed air, you'll blow your lighter's flame out!
I for one do not have the gonades to do that and am not looking for a
Darwin Award so I'm not going to do something that stupid.
Now a more common sense way would be to look at the green bottle, say "that
is a GREEN" bottle with a yolk on it. That must mean the it has or had 02
in it and it will probably do some serious damage to my airplane or me if I
put it in my fill port. The only way you know what goes in your airplane is
to monitor what is being done to it. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of
that pimplely assed lineboy or that crusty ol FBO manager! Learn your
airplanes and know what is being done to them.
Doc
Quote:
[Original Message]
From: Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E

Quote:
To:
Date: 4/4/2007 2:30:59 PM
Subject: RE: filling air tanks

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point,
MALS-14 64E"

[quote]

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

--

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

MGB,
On could do what I did. I took one of my steel (silver) dive tanks and used it for my compressed gas tank in the hanger. I took it to the dive shop to have it filled. I made the schrader valve conversion on my YAK. I bought a first stage manifold from my dive shop, high pressure hose, a 5000 psi pressure gauge, and an air fitting so I could refill my tank if it leaked down for some reason. I also bought a pony tank that fits nicely in a helmet bag with the fill hose/manifold for when I go on road trips. It guarantees me at least two attempts at a start with the amount of air in the pony tank. The pony tank is painted yellow by the way. That is the way that I know for sure what is going into my plane provided I trust my dive shop operator. Now that could be another ball of wax too I guess.
We have Bubba's down here in Al too. So I feel allot more comfortable taking my own spare air on the road with me than asking a good ol' boy if they have any spare air around I can use to fill my tanks to start my plane.
I sure as heck am not going to do the flammable gas test with a lighter. Now I guess one could fill a balloon or a latex glove with the gas from that questionable tank and light it off with that lighter or a flaming stick from a distance. There will be a nice bang when the balloon goes up just have to dodge the melted plastic fragments. We could also check with the local chemistry lab to see who has a mass spectrometer. They could burn the gas in a controlled combustion and analyze the gas for us. We would know for sure then what was in the tank.
I believe this tread started with the question of what color is an oxygen tank. Green. Now what happens out there in Bubba town happens in Bubba town. With all the lawyers standing behind the bushes just waiting for a personal injury lawsuit if I were a FBO operator in the business of servicing aircraft on my ramp, I would think twice about being a good ol boy an just put air in what ever I could find that would hold it. Just mort one aircraft owner from filling his airplane's air tank with 02 and see how fast the $1 million liability policy will be eaten up if he even has liability coverage.
So to avoid such, I carry my own air on the road. Your call after all it's your rosey pink that is risk here.
Doc

[quote] ---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

There is one other alternative. Learn how to properly hand prop your airplane. Then you'll be sure that only compressed air goes into the main air tank.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Forgot one thing. One could also buy a 02 analyzer. The last unit I priced from Drager was $1500 or you could buy their 5 gas analyzer for around $5000. That way you'll know if that unknow gas is C02, 02, C0, He, Ar, or N20. There are a whole sprectrum of analyzer wafers one could place in this portable system. It even comes with it's own carrying case, charger, and computer hookup soft/hardware.
Guess you could go to your friendly anesthesiologist and ask him to stick his 02 analyzer into your bag of unknown gas. If it reads 98-100% then you probably have pure 02. If you don't then you have something else. Either way I'm not putting it in my air tank without knowing what it is.
As for hand propping, without the aircraft chocked,tied securely down, and the brakes locked if I am doing this by myself I am not even going to think about it. Without someone sitting in the cockpit that has a reasonable clue as to what to do agian I am not even considering it. Others may, but not me. I can get air from a dive shop if my pony tank leaked down because I have my stage one regulator with me on the road. We can always ask our friend over at Tallassee that hand propped his 50 when it was out of air. Not a happy camper after it taxied through his hanger and a couple of other aircraft too! So much for chocks!
Doc

[quote] ---

f4ffm2(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Dennis suggestion is a very good one.  The M-14P is, if done properly, among the easiest of engines to prop.
Roger__________________________________________________________________

On Apr 5, 2007, at 4:52 AM, A. Dennis Savarese wrote:
[quote]There is one other alternative.  Learn how to properly hand prop your airplane.  Then you'll be sure that only compressed air goes into the main air tank.
Dennis

[b]

MarkWDavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Don't forget about a strut pump with appropriate adaptors. Takes a long time to pump it up and an air compressor which makes at least 130 psi, but you know what you're getting out of the end of the hose.

Mark Davis
N44YK
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Learning how to properly hand prop your airplane if of particular importance should the air start valve fail and the air start valve in your particular airplane does not have the manual release tab it. A full tank of air will do you no good should any failure of the air start system occur.

Then there are the "sissy Yak's", which are those that have the electric start on them. Smile
Dennis

[quote] ---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/5/2007 10:18:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com writes:

A small flat blade screw driver, inserted in one of the small rectangular holes on the Chinese start valves, will work the same way. However knowing how to hand prop these engine is a very handy thing in a real pinch. The strut pump is a very good idea and is usually around most maintenance shops.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote] Learning how to properly hand prop your airplane if of particular importance should the air start valve fail and the air start valve in your particular airplane does not have the manual release tab it. A full tank of air will do you no good should any failure of the air start system occur.

Then there are the "sissy Yak's", which are those that have the electric start on them. Smile
Dennis

[quote] ---

drc(at)wscare.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Or if the sissy electric start is not working also.  This happened to me - no air, dead starter and it was quite exciting to hand prop.  I had a cub, and have hand propped the wilga - very easy compared to the yak - but with enough gas and air in the cylinders it it not too bad.  BE SURE YOU HAVE GOOOD HELP.  AND PROP FROM THE LEFT BEHIND THE PROP.  GOOD COMMUNICATION SPOT WITH THE COCKPIT AND FOR SAFETY !!- when the m-14 fires of hand propping it is overwhelming if your helper has only hand propped cubbies.
Herb

On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:16 AM, A. Dennis Savarese wrote:
[quote]Learning how to properly hand prop your airplane if of particular importance should the air start valve fail and the air start valve in your particular airplane does not have the manual release tab it.  A full tank of air will do you no good should any failure of the air start system occur.

Then there are the "sissy Yak's", which are those that have the electric start on them. Smile
Dennis

[quote]---

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

You are right on the money Herb. ALWAYS hand prop from behind the prop. Must less intimidating and certainly much safer for sure. With no air, tying the airplane down is and absolute must.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Brings up another point.

Most if not all of our aircraft came with an air start valve that had a
tab on it for manual operation. If you replace this valve, the newer
model valve lacks this tab. So, always SAVE that OLD VALVE. The lower
case half that contains the tab will screw right on the new replacement
valve retaining the manual capability of the valve.

My suggestion.... Never throw a Russian part away.... You just never
know what part inside of it might become essential someday.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

--

rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Mark,
I can only speak to the Chinese start valves but they seem to be fond of
removing the tab but oddly enough they seem to do it upon installation.
I say this because 100% of the new valves received from China have the
tabs in place.

Always Yakin,
Doug

Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

[quote]

Brings up another point.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

--

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know whether the CJ start valve is identical to the
Russian one.

I need to send you a few digital images.

Mark

--

aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

Me personally, I bought an industrial size tank (4' tall) and filled it myself at a local air distributer, so I know when I fill my tank, yes. That is my technique...and when I bought the tank I asked them to paint it yellow to preclude any confusion.

"Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote: [quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E"

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

--

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: filling air tanks Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/5/2007 4:13:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil writes:

They are exactly the same except that the Russian one has the little manual
tab that you Yak guys move with your toe.
Pappy

MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

I'd be curious to know whether the CJ start valve is identical to the
Russian one.

I need to send you a few digital images.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Doug Sapp
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 16:01
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: filling air tanks

Mark,
I can only speak to the Chinese start valves but they seem to be fond of
removing the tab but oddly enough they seem to do it upon installation.

I say this because 100% of the new valves received from China have the
tabs in place.

Always Yakin,
Doug

Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

Quote:

--> Point, MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

Brings up another point.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis
Savarese
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 13:43

You are right on the money Herb. ALWAYS hand prop from behind the
prop.

Quote:
Must less intimidating and certainly much safer for sure. With no air,

Quote:
tying the airplane down is and absolute must.
Dennis

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 11:04 AM

Or if the sissy electric start is not working also. This
happened to

Quote:
me - no air, dead starter and it was quite exciting to hand prop. I
had a cub, and have hand propped the wilga - very easy compared to the
yak - but with enough gas and air in the cylinders it it not too bad.
BE SURE YOU HAVE GOOOD HELP. AND PROP FROM THE LEFT BEHIND THE PROP.
GOOD COMMUNICATION SPOT WITH THE COCKPIT AND FOR SAFETY !!- when the
m-14 fires of hand propping it is overwhelming if your helper has only
hand propped cubbies.

Herb

On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:16 AM, A. Dennis Savarese wrote:

Learning how to properly hand prop your airplane if of
particular

Quote:
importance should the air start valve fail and the air start valve in
your particular airplane does not have the manual release tab it. A
full tank of air will do you no good should any failure of the air
start system occur.

Then there are the "sissy Yak's", which are those that
have the

[quote]electric start on them. Smile
Dennis

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: