Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb Wing Attach Points
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

The two pins on each end of the wing strut have the most force on them then the pins in the center section, but not a huge amont... The two strut pins have something like 25 % more force on them than the pin that attaches to the wing center section. But the huge bending moment caused by that large 1 inch gap makes that one the one that will fail first... What it takes to bend that pin at a one inch spread, I cannot find a spec on that anywhere. I would be ok with this on a FireStar, or FireFly, but not on a heavy MK III. Have you ever seen how thick the wing attach bolts are on a J-3 Cub, they are about twice the streingth of what the MK III is for the same weight class plane.

To help this, I have gone to NAS hardware which is about 20 % stronger than AN hardware, and I am using a bolt and nut, so that if it does bend, one end will not pull out. I will be drilling that out and going to a bigger diameter bolt there just to be sure. I would also like to drill out and go one size bigger bolts on the strut ends, but it it might remove to much material from the ends and cause weakness in the 4130 metal of the wing strut end, so I will not. These have much less bending moment, so are not as likely to fail as the center section as can be seen in the pictures below. Larry had a good idea of putting a spacer in the lower attach point pin to keep the stress to one side of it. That will put almost all the stress on one side of the fitting, but will keep that bolt stressed in sheer instead of bending force. I will use a bunch of washers to do this. I will also be careful to make sure I do not put to many in so that it does not cause this fitting to be tight. Making this tight instead of free floating could cause fatigue on the strut end and cause a fialure over time. Remember the tail that fatigued fialed when its foward fitting was not allowed to float free ?

Attached are pictures so you all can see what I am talking about, and if any one has any more ideas or sees something I dont by all means respond to this thread.

Michael Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.77 KB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-09.jpg

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.86 KB
 Viewed:  648 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-15.jpg

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  381.08 KB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-05.jpg

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.63 KB
 Viewed:  679 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-04.jpg

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

What it takes to bend that pin at a one inch spread,........ on a heavy MK
III. >>

Hi Michael,

I can give you something to work on.

If you accelerate a Mark111 with a Jabiru engine full throttle over about 50
yards from a standing start and hit a vertical RSJ with the port wing just
outside the lift strut attachment point it will bend the front attachment
pin approc 3/16 of an inch. It will also distort the cockpit cage.

Dont ask...

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

OUCH ! THAT HURT !
On Apr 6, 2007, at 6:36 AM, pat ladd wrote:

Quote:
If you accelerate a Mark111 with a Jabiru engine full throttle over
about 50 yards from a standing start and hit a vertical RSJ with
the port wing just outside the lift strut attachment point it will
bend the front attachment pin approc 3/16 of an inch. It will also
distort the cockpit cage.

FS2Kolb(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Whats an RSJ?

In a message dated 4/6/2007 4:37:38 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com writes:
Quote:
If you accelerate a Mark111 with a Jabiru engine full throttle over about 50
yards from a standing start and hit a vertical RSJ with the port wing just
outside the lift strut attachment point it will bend the front attachment
pin approc 3/16 of an inch. It will also distort the cockpit cage.

Dont ask...

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Whats an RSJ?

Recreational sport Jaguar

do not archive
Vic
[quote][b]

a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

RSJ= Real Stout Joist
regards,
Bob N.    FireFly 070 Old Kolb
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/

do not archive

[quote][b]

David.Lehman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Mike...

Take a look at what holds the Luscombe (heavier than a Cub) wing spar to the fuselage carry-through... An aluminum pin, drilled at both ends and held in place with cotter pins...

DVD

do not archive

On 4/5/07, JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com (orcabonita(at)hotmail.com)> wrote: [quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com (orcabonita(at)hotmail.com)>

The two pins on each end of the wing strut have the most force on them then the pins in the center section, but not a huge amont... The two strut pins have something like 25 % more force on them than the pin that attaches to the wing center section. But the huge bending moment caused by that large 1 inch gap makes that one the one that will fail first... What it takes to bend that pin at a one inch spread, I cannot find a spec on that anywhere. I would be ok with this on a FireStar, or FireFly, but not on a heavy MK III.  Have you ever seen how thick the wing attach bolts are on a J-3 Cub, they are about twice the streingth of what the MK III is for the same weight class plane.

To help this, I have gone to NAS hardware which is about 20 % stronger than AN hardware, and I am using a bolt and nut, so that if it does bend, one end will not pull out. I will be drilling that out and going to a bigger diameter bolt there just to be sure. I would also like to drill out and go one size bigger bolts on the strut ends, but it it might remove to much material from the ends and cause weakness in the 4130 metal of the wing strut end, so I will not. These have much less bending moment, so are not as likely to fail as the center section as can be seen in the pictures below. Larry had a good idea of putting a spacer in the lower attach point pin to keep the stress to one side of it. That will put almost all the stress on one side of the fitting, but will keep that bolt stressed in sheer instead of bending force. I will use a bunch of washers to do this.   I will also be careful to make sure I do not put to many in so that it does not cause this fitting!
to be tight. Making this tight instead of free floating could cause fatigue on the strut end and cause a fialure over time.   Remember the tail that fatigued fialed when its foward fitting was not allowed to float free ?

Attached are pictures so you all can see what I am talking about, and if any one has any more ideas or sees something I dont by all means respond to this thread.

Michael Bigelow

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

[b]

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--- George Bernard Shaw
d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

At 08:06 PM 4/5/2007, JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

The two pins on each end of the wing strut have the most force on them
then the pins in the center section, but not a huge amont... The two strut
pins have something like 25 % more force on them than the pin that
attaches to the wing center section. But the huge bending moment caused
by that large 1 inch gap makes that one the one that will fail
first... What it takes to bend that pin at a one inch spread, I cannot
find a spec on that anywhere....
To help this, I have gone to NAS hardware which is about 20 % stronger
than AN hardware...

I've been kinda wondering about that too, so I looked at the numbers. On
my Ultrastar, the wing attachment with the 1" gap is in the rear, using a
1/4" diameter clevis pin. That pin is rated at 7360# double shear, which
would seem to be no problem... but it's not really loaded in
shear. Bending is indeed another matter. Figuring the bending loads on
that pin very roughly, if the fitting is exactly in the center and is 1/8"
thick, the clevis pin will hold 877# (with no safety factor). If you can
space it all the way to one side, then the single shear strength of 3680#
would be in effect... but on the Ultrastar you can't control where it ends
up. However, on the US this attachment sees only drag loads so it's
probably OK... though there would be added loads due to aileron
deflection. Does make me wonder if there was ever a published maneuvering
speed for this plane, though...

If the gap at a fitting is less than 1", the bending stresses on the pin go
down proportionately. A 5/16" pin is 1.56X as strong in shear and 2.44X as
strong in bending; a 3/8" pin is 2.25X and 5.06X, respectively. Good
design practice dictates that a fitting be designed so that it can be
drilled out for the next larger size fastener if necessary (in case of
wear), but not necessarily the next size over that.

On the lift strut and inboard wing attachment at the main spar, the wing
strut takes the bulk of the vertical load (exactly all the vertical load
if it attaches exactly at the midpoint of the wing panel). However, the
tension in the lift strut is twice the vertical load (assuming a strut
angle of 30°, which is about right), thus the tension in a lift strut is
approximately equal to the airplane's weight plus any tail downforce. I
don't know how much gap there is on the later models' strut attachment but
on the US it's a pretty close fit.

On the forward wing root attachment, there's little or no vertical load,
but it has to oppose the inward force from the lift strut, which is the
strut tension times cos(30) or 87% of the plane's weight... so that's the
force on that pin or bolt.

Of course, none of the above takes into account flight load factors or
required safety factors.

I don't know the specs of the NAS hardware you're using, but I'm not sure I
like that idea... I hate to second guess the designer, especially on a
proven design, and a stronger bolt will be more brittle... fatigue may
become an issue, especially if the bolt gets worn or nicked.

Eeek, too much thinking for a Friday night... Smile

-Dana
--
--
The citizens of the United States are getting the government they deserve.
The problem is that I'm also getting the government they deserve.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Hi Dana,

That is a very good analisys of the loads on the pins, where did you get the figures for bending the pins across 1 inch ? According to your figures, the pin is only 1/10 th as strong when the load is bending instead of sheer, which seems about right.

There is very little force on the trailing edge attachment of a Kolb, I would not worry at all about that. My MK III weighs almost 3 times what the Ultrastar and the Firefly do, but uses the same size pins... What is not an issue on some planes could be on others.

The one thing I think you got wrong is the stress on that center pin that I am talking about. It is more than the weight of the airplane. With the struts at 45 degrees it would be the the same as the aircraft weight, having the strut go out at a 60 degree angle from vertical makes it 1.7 times the weight of the plane, or 1700 pounds at 1 G on my MK III. The spar is being forced inwards by the struts at a 60 degree angle from the load, I think you just used the wrong part of the triangle.

NAS 6600 hardware is used as aircraft structrual bolts, and is used in many airplanes for very high stress wing spar attachment ( Low wing planes with no struts ). This type of bolt was recommended to me by an airline structrual inspector. I searched the applications and confirmed this to be true before switching bolts.

To put the next size bigger pin in, I will have to be careful to drill the holes larger only inwards, taking care not to make the holes any closer to the edges, but there is plenty of material to do this. See the attached picture.

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.48 KB
 Viewed:  619 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail01-08-2007-11.jpg

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:36:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
To put the next size bigger pin in, I will have to be careful to drill the holes larger only inwards, taking care not to make the holes any closer to the edges, but there is plenty of material to do this. See the attached picture.

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Mike,
What you propose to do is not that easy. You may end up with loose out of round holes in your pursuit to improve a tested design. As an alternative you might consider using spacers or washers to fill the gaps. If you carefully trim a spacer to a snug fit you will be able to tighten your bolt without deflecting the main tabs. Deflecting the tabs would also worsen your situation.

Steve B
do not archive

[quote][b]

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

At 11:35 PM 4/6/2007, JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

That is a very good analisys of the loads on the pins, where did you get
the figures for bending the pins across 1 inch ? According to your
figures, the pin is only 1/10 th as strong when the load is bending
instead of sheer, which seems about right.

I just treated the pin as a small beam in bending, supported at the ends,
and calculated the stresses.

Quote:
There is very little force on the trailing edge attachment of a Kolb, I
would not worry at all about that. My MK III weighs almost 3 times what
the Ultrastar and the Firefly do, but uses the same size pins... What is
not an issue on some planes could be on others.

At low AOA (i.e. cruise) the loads are very low. At high AOA the drag
loads can become significant... I guess a good reason not to do high speed
accelerated stalls or snap rolls in these planes.. . Smile

Quote:
The one thing I think you got wrong is the stress on that center pin that
I am talking about. It is more than the weight of the airplane.

No, remember that each wing holds only half of the plane's weight.

Quote:
NAS 6600 hardware is used as aircraft structrual bolts, and is used in
many airplanes for very high stress wing spar attachment ( Low wing planes
with no struts ). This type of bolt was recommended to me by an airline
structrual inspector. I searched the applications and confirmed this to
be true before switching bolts.

It may very well be fine, probably is, I haven't seen the actual specs for
those fasteners.

Hopefully I can get some work done on my plane this weekend (including
replacing all the fasteners we've been discussing with new ones) so I can
have it done in time for Homer's fly-in...

-Dana
--
--

worrybear(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

---

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

At 09:01 AM 4/7/2007, DANIEL WALTER wrote:

Quote:
I believe it was the Ultrastar wing that was tested to failure, I think the
pins in question all surived. Dennis would know for sure.

Yes, he beat on it until the drag strut (which the pin is on the end of)
failed in compression. The design was changed to reinforce the drag strut
and they called it good enough.

Took balls with only a hand thrown parachute...

-Dana
--
--

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

RSJ= Real Stout Joist>>

Hi Bob,
well.. it was certainly stout enough that the roof didn`t fall on me when I hit it.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Whats an RSJ?>>

Hi ,
sorry, different language. Rolled Steel Joist. You call them `I` beams, I think.
Cheers

Pat

do not archive

[quote][b]

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Oh come off it.

There are hundreds of Kolbs out there and there are even a few Kolbs that
have thousands of hours on them with in-flight loads over gross and the has
never been even a bent pin (from flight loads). That's not to say there
isn't maybe a good idea to put spacers in but....

Also that plane that Dennis folded the wing on was one of the newer kolbs
(maybe a MKII). He had to really really work at it to get it to fail. Also
they didn't just fix the drag strut and call it good enough!!! They fully
inspected the wing. If the attach point pins were bent in any way they would
have fixed that also. This wasn't just some required test that they went
thru (it isn't required and no one else cared enough to do this). The point
was they cared enough make sure it was safe. Just don't go fixing something
not broken and make it fail

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/7/2007 11:23:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
That's not to say there
isn't maybe a good idea to put spacers in but....

Hi Rick,

I agree with you that no change is required but the idea of the spacers was to give some peace of mind to those that do not believe in the tried and tested method. I also think that if done improperly the spaces could cause harm.  For the record, I use the factory method.

Steve B

[quote][b]

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

At 11:22 AM 4/7/2007, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:

Quote:
There are hundreds of Kolbs out there and there are even a few Kolbs that
have thousands of hours on them with in-flight loads over gross and the
has never been even a bent pin (from flight loads). That's not to say
there isn't maybe a good idea to put spacers in but....

Also that plane that Dennis folded the wing on was one of the newer kolbs
(maybe a MKII). He had to really really work at it to get it to fail.

No, it was an Ultrastar:
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=19920

I'm not worried about it, myself... as an aeronautical engineer, I was
curious about it from an academic standpoint. I'm leaving my plane stock,
as designed.

-Dana

--
--

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Greetings,
In the 11 years I have been a list member, every once in a while, I read with great amusement how people want to change Homer's design because they feel they can do a better job. IMHO nothing is going to just break if you build it to plans so stop worrying so much.
Regards,
Guillermo Uribe
FireStar II N4GU
El Paso, TX

P24-MO~1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.9 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

P24-MO~1.JPG

P24-MO~2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.5 KB
 Viewed:  443 Time(s)

P24-MO~2.JPG

P24-MO~3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.78 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

P24-MO~3.JPG

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Kolb Wing Attach Points Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not worried about it, myself... as an aeronautical engineer, I was
curious about it from an academic standpoint. I'm leaving my plane stock,
as designed.

-Dana

Then one could safely surmise that you just enjoy being a "Devils Advocate",
or something painful like that! :-/

The most likely failure of any part in a Kolb is always going to be the
brain.

Larry, Oregon
do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: