Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final schematic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaughnray(at)bvunet.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

I am attaching my final(almost) main schematic. There are lots of switches, but all up makes it run and all down kills the sparks. All subscribers feel free to critique, not criticize, due to delicate feelings of neophyte.
Vaughn Teegarden
Europa XS mono, Rotax 914

[url=][/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

scan0001.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  scan0001.pdf
 Filesize:  63.92 KB
 Downloaded:  375 Time(s)

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Are the flaps electric? If so, do they get there power from a fused circuit or a breaker?

Likewise, shouldn't the prop controller come from a switched breaker circuit to aid in "resetting" it, and also positively overriding it's operation? What type of electric prop is it?

Bevan
RV7A finishing kit

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gaye and Vaughn
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:21 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Final schematic

I am attaching my final(almost) main schematic. There are lots of switches, but all up makes it run and all down kills the sparks. All subscribers feel free to critique, not criticize, due to delicate feelings of neophyte.
Vaughn Teegarden

[url=][/url]

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vaughnray(at)bvunet.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Brevan

Thanks for the comments. The flaps and monowheel are manually controlled with one lever. I will contact Airmaster to see if they recommend a switch for the prop. They told me that if it quit working, it stayed in the last postion that it was in before it failed. I did not think to ask if I needed an on/off switch. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Vaughn Teegarden
[quote] ---

rcole927(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Vaughn,My only suggestion would be to make a space on the panel between the four groups of switches (i.e/, DC Power, Engine, Avionics, and Lights).  That way you will be able to find the switch that you want by feel in darkness, turbulence, or whatever.Roger Cole
Murphy Elite (building wings)
On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Gaye and Vaughn wrote:
[quote]  I am attaching my final(almost) main schematic. There are lots of switches, but all up makes it run and all down kills the sparks. All subscribers feel free to critique, not criticize, due to delicate feelings of neophyte.  
Vaughn Teegarden

[url=][/url] 
<scan0001.pdf>

[b]

sarg314(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

I strongly second roger's observation. A row of a dozen identical
toggle switches spaced exactly evenly is hard to use - you'll find
yourself trying to read the little labels in flight. Mine are in groups
of 2 or 3 and not even all in a row at the bottom of the panel. It
makes it easy to find the switch you want without looking or even in the
dark. I recall an article about panel design in Kit Planes a few years
ago that made this same point.

Roger Cole wrote:

Quote:
Vaughn,
My only suggestion would be to make a space on the panel between the
four groups of switches (i.e/, DC Power, Engine, Avionics, and
Lights). That way you will be able to find the switch that you want
by feel in darkness, turbulence, or whatever.
Roger Cole

Tom Sargent, RV-6A, wiring.

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Vaughn,

Because you are running a Rotax 914, which has no mechanical fuel pump, you must have at least one of your two electric pumps working to avoid a silent experience in flight that would probably upset Gaye's delicate feelings as well as yours. I therefore consider it unwise to feed both pumps from your battery bus because a single failure (e.g. of the 12 awg feed to that bus) could render both pumps inoperative. I suggest one pump should be fed from a supply that can receive power from either alternator, such as the endurance bus.

You may wish to consider your overvoltage protection relay for the Rotax alternator circuit operating to open the AC voltage input that goes to the regulator G terminals (i.e. break into one of the yellow leads) as suggested in the Z 16 schematic. Bob now recommends this in preference to interrupting the output of the regulator.

Best regards

Mike

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gaye and Vaughn
Sent: 08 April 2007 17:21
Subject: Final schematic

Vaughn Teegarden

[quote][b]

vaughnray(at)bvunet.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Thanks Roger,

I can do that by moving my Cabin Light switch overhead next to the light. That will give me enough space. I like that idea.

Vaughn
[quote] ---

vaughnray(at)bvunet.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I moved the secondary pump over to the endurance bus, which will be powered by the Rotax internal alternator with all switches off.

I thought Bob interrupted the "C" connection on the Ducati regulator, which Lockwood says not to do. They insist that R, B, and C be connected so that they can't be one without the other. I wouldn't go against their recommendations for warranty reasons.

Vaughn
[quote] ---

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Final schematic Reply with quote

Vaughn,

In Bob's earlier Z 7 schematic for the Rotax-type dynamo/alternator, the voltage regulator B and R were joined together at the capacitor and then to the battery via the OV relay contacts. The voltage regulator C terminal was connected to the battery via the alternator/battery master switch, and provided the battery reference voltage to the regulator. Rotax subsequently changed their circuit recommendation so that the B, R. and C terminals were all connected together, and Bob developed Z 16, which has the overvoltage relay killing the input to the regulator rather than its output. This is a safer way to react to an overvoltage output from the regulator, because without any input its voltage output is automatically killed and also it cannot overheat.

Please make sure that in your physical layout you provide a good cooling air flow for the Ducati regulator, because a number of people have reported problems with short life if this gets too hot in service.

Best regards

Mike

Sent: 10 April 2007 20:30
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Final schematic

Thanks Mike,

I moved the secondary pump over to the endurance bus, which will be powered by the Rotax internal alternator with all switches off.

I thought Bob interrupted the "C" connection on the Ducati regulator, which Lockwood says not to do. They insist that R, B, and C be connected so that they can't be one without the other. I wouldn't go against their recommendations for warranty reasons.

Vaughn
[quote]
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: