Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C-FXCS Flies....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted French

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

RV-10 C-FXCS took to the air on Thurs Apr 5 with Colin Jordan at the controls. He flew for one hour high power for break-in. The aircraft has a heavy left wing, an oil leak on the pilot side, and I managed to reverse the action on the aileron trim and the altitude hold. Colin said when he landed that this was as close to taking off in a jet as you can get without being in a jet. He was VERY impressed with the aircraft.

I delayed leaving on a weeks holidays so we could get the first flight in, so I haven't addressed any of the issues as yet.

Question. What is the procedure to correct a heavy wing in an RV-10?

Do Not Archive
Ted French C-FXCS
RV-10 Flying
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

Ted French wrote:
Quote:
DIV { MARGIN: 0px } RV-10 C-FXCS took to the air on Thurs Apr 5 with Colin Jordan at the controls. He flew for one hour high power for break-in. The aircraft has a heavy left wing, an oil leak on the pilot side, and I managed to reverse the action on the aileron trim and the altitude hold. Colin said when he landed that this was as close to taking off in a jet as you can get without being in a jet. He was VERY impressed with the aircraft.

I delayed leaving on a weeks holidays so we could get the first flight in, so I haven't addressed any of the issues as yet.

Sit in the other seat???? The heavy left wing may be due to a heavy .... nah, I won't go there. Seriously, I'd worry about the heavy left wing after you fly with both front seats filled ..... preferably with pilots close in weight.
Linn
[quote]

Do Not Archive
Ted French C-FXCS
RV-10 Flying
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

Aileron trim, I’d say. Make sure your flaps and ailerons are rigged evenly, because that can make it want to roll one way or the other, but burning fuel out of the left first would lighten that side. I doubt there is much more weight there, just having you sit on that side alone makes a little difference. Again, aileron trim and rudder trim will make the thing fly like it needs to no matter how you are loaded, for the most part.

Do not archive.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
www.saintaviation.com
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted French
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 8:15 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: C-FXCS Flies....

RV-10 C-FXCS took to the air on Thurs Apr 5 with Colin Jordan at the controls. He flew for one hour high power for break-in. The aircraft has a heavy left wing, an oil leak on the pilot side, and I managed to reverse the action on the aileron trim and the altitude hold. Colin said when he landed that this was as close to taking off in a jet as you can get without being in a jet. He was VERY impressed with the aircraft.

Do Not Archive
Ted French C-FXCS
RV-10 Flying
[quote] [b]

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

I helped a local builder install the wings and ailerons this weekend and we noticed that the aileron deflected up about 2-3 time more than it did down on both sides. We didn't check the rigging yet but I wonder if that is normal or if there should be equal deflection in both directions.
Thanks!
Pascal
[quote] ---

Miles Bowen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

[quote="rv10builder(at)verizon.ne"]I helped a local builder install the wings and ailerons this weekend and we noticed that the aileron deflected up about 2-3 time more than it did down on both sides. We didn't check the rigging yet but I wonder if that is normal or if there should be equal deflection in both directions.
Thanks!
Pascal
Quote:
---

Most airplanes have this feature designed in to reduce adverse yaw. Perfectly normal. Check your manual for what the actual deflections should be.

HRII Plans#211
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

That’s normal.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
www.saintaviation.com

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pascal
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: C-FXCS Flies....

I helped a local builder install the wings and ailerons this weekend and we noticed that the aileron deflected up about 2-3 time more than it did down on both sides. We didn't check the rigging yet but I wonder if that is normal or if there should be equal deflection in both directions.

Thanks!

Pascal
[quote]
---

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

It is called differential aileron throw. The idea is that a down aileron
creates a lot more drag than the up aileron. Basically it limits the adverse
effect of the down aileron causing a yaw problem.

less down more up.

John

[quote]From: "Jesse Saint" <jesse(at)saintaviation.com>
Reply-To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: C-FXCS Flies....
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:35:15 -0400

That's normal.

Jesse Saint

Saint Aviation, Inc.

jesse(at)saintaviation.com

www.saintaviation.com

_____

[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pascal
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 11:42 AM

I helped a local builder install the wings and ailerons this weekend and we
noticed that the aileron deflected up about 2-3 time more than it did down
on both sides. We didn't check the rigging yet but I wonder if that is
normal or if there should be equal deflection in both directions.

Thanks!

Pascal

---

jim(at)CombsFive.Com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

Ailerons are rigged as differential. In order to offset adverse yaw, the aileron traveling up moves more than the aileron traveling down. (Downward aileron increases wing camber / lift causing more drag.)

No it's normal for the aileron to move up more than down. It's by design.

Jim C

Do Not Archive

============================================================
Date: 2007/04/16 Mon AM 11:42:18 EDT
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>

Thanks!
Pascal
---

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: C-FXCS Flies.... Reply with quote

Thanks all for the responses!
Pascal
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: