Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabin doors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookflys(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Thanks to all that responded on where and what model of lift strut to purchase. My model II builders manual has no information on location and how to attach struts. With out seeing an example, what seems to be a easy installation has me second guessing. Any suggestions, pictures, drawings before I start boring holes would be appreciated.

Charles Cook KF363

Kitfox-List Digest Server <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:
[quote]*

==================================================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
==================================================

Today's complete Kitfox-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Kitfox-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter 07-04-12&Archive=Kitfox

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter 07-04-12&Archive=Kitfox
================================================
EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
================================================
----------------------------------------------------------
Kitfox-List Digest Archive
---
Total Messages Posted Thu 04/12/07: 38
----------------------------------------------------------
Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 12:29 AM - cabin door struts (charles cook)
2. 05:19 AM - Re: cabin door struts (Noel Loveys)
3. 06:11 AM - Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (Clem Nichols)
4. 06:56 AM - Re: bing 64 carb (kitfoxmike)
5. 07:21 AM - Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (Larry Martin)
6. 07:48 AM - Re: cabin door struts (Guy Buchanan)
7. 07:56 AM - Re: Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (Guy Buchanan)
8. 08:01 AM - Re: cabin door struts (Lowell Fitt)
9. 08:29 AM - Re: Carb slide position at full throttle on a two stroke Rotax (Tom Jones)
10. 08:31 AM - Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (kurt schrader)
11. 08:32 AM - Re: cabin door struts (jdmcbean)
12. 08:46 AM - Re: cabin door struts (flier)
13. 08:51 AM - Re: Re: Carb slide position at full throttle on a two stroke Rotax ()
14. 08:53 AM - attn John McBean Wing tips ()
15. 09:21 AM - Re: cabin door struts (Marco Menezes)
16. 09:52 AM - Re: Fuel tanks (Bob)
17. 10:15 AM - Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (Clem Nichols)
18. 10:18 AM - Re: attn John McBean Wing tips (jdmcbean)
19. 11:59 AM - Re: Re: bing 64 carb (mic thiessen)
20. 12:03 PM - Re: Carb slide position at full throttle on a two stroke Rotax (Tom Jones)
21. 12:07 PM - Locktite on spinner bolt. (Tom Jones)
22. 02:23 PM - Re: bing 64 carb (kitfoxmike)
23. 02:38 PM - Re: 912 UL with IVO props (crazyivan)
24. 03:50 PM - Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL (Larry Martin)
25. 04:44 PM - Kitfox powder coat surface rusting?? (George Michaels)
26. 04:54 PM - Re: Locktite on spinner bolt. (neflyer48)
27. 05:00 PM - Re: Re: Carb slide position at full throttle on a two stroke Rotax ()
28. 05:17 PM - Kitfox List Admin Retirement (fox5flyer)
29. 05:25 PM - Re: Locktite on spinner bolt. (Tom Jones)
30. 05:50 PM - New List administrators coming on board (Don Pearsall)
31. 05:53 PM - Re: Kitfox List Admin Retirement (Herbert R Gottelt)
32. 06:10 PM - Re: Kitfox List Admin Retirement (Larry Huntley)
33. 06:23 PM - Re: Re: Locktite on spinner bolt. (Randy Daughenbaugh)
34. 06:23 PM - Re: Kitfox List Admin Retirement (Randy Daughenbaugh)
35. 07:09 PM - Re: cabin door struts (Glenn Horne)
36. 08:23 PM - Re: New List administrators coming on board (Roger McConnell)
37. 09:52 PM - Re: Kitfox List Admin Retirement (Mdkitfox(at)aol.com)
38. 10:02 PM - Re: Kitfox List Admin Retirement (Mdkitfox(at)aol.com)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
Time: 12:29:00 AM PST US
Subject: cabin door struts

Does anybody have a picture or drawing on where and how to attach the lift struts
to the door frame and cabin door. Where did you buy the gas struts?
Charles Cook
---------------------------------
Looking for earth-friendly autos?
Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
Time: 05:19:50 AM PST US
Subject: RE: cabin door struts

I got one that I was able to fit to the plane from a salvage yard. I
have
two others here that art too long.
Noel

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

I put one on the pilot side without drilling any holes.... I'll send a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Noel [quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

xfire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: cabin doors Reply with quote

[quote="Float Flyr"]I put one on the pilot side without drilling any holes.... I'll send a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Noel
Quote:

--

Noel, can you please send the pics to me also

Thanks

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

I was working outside all day today. I'll go out in about a half an hour
and take the pictures and post them here. They will be small but accurate.

Noel

[quote] --

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Ok now I have the pictures.

The installation was done with two small pieces of angle. I used some metal (about .032") which I bent into angle. The angle is is held to the cross tube behind the pilot and to the frame of the back of the door. I put the strut on the back of the door because I fly floats and have to enter from the front. The angle extrusions are slotted With a Dremel tool right at the angle to allow them to be mounted on the tubes with small gear clamps. Every thing is out in the open where it is easy to inspect. Surprisingly none of the four gear clamps have loosened at all. The brackets have a hole drilled in them which the ball end of the two ball and socket ends is bolted through.
The height of the bracket on the door is important. It should be higher than the distance of the lower bracket form the door closed position to give an over centre positive close to the door when the door is pulled down.

The position of the door bracket is set to allow an almost a full closure of the strut while closing the door.

This strut is 9 in. long, 10.5 in over all and has the ball and socket joints with the balls at both ends. I got this strut from a local salvage yard and have no idea what it came out of. I'm sure you can find the complete unit at an automotive supply shop if you don't have a salvage yard you can browse.

[img]cid:303392322(at)20042007-2BF0[/img]

The next picture is a close up of the bracket on the cross tube. It strut ball is mounted far enough into the plane so as not to interfere with the operation of the door.
[img]cid:303392322(at)20042007-2BF7[/img]
I put this on my door as occasionally I like to fly and always taxi with the door open. If the salvage yard had two of these struts I would have installed both of them. It has worked well for the past year or so so I guess the next thing to do is paint the brackets to make them look as if they belonged there.
I'm far from a fortune teller but I do see another trip to the salvage yard for me in the near future.
Removing the door is easy as there is a little metal clip that holds the socket of the strut over the ball. I just have to make sure to keep the clips with the strut.
Clear as Mud??
Noel

[quote] -----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of xfire
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:55 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: cabin doors
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "xfire"
<leonard.perry(at)acsalaska.net>

[quote="Float Flyr"]I put one on the pilot side without
drilling any holes.... I'll send a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Noel
>
> --
Noel, can you please send the pics to me also

Thanks

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=107902#107902

===========
Kitfox-List http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
===========
bsp; available href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
===========

att411.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.21 KB
 Viewed:  522 Time(s)

att411.jpg

Door_Lift_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.46 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

Door_Lift_2.jpg

GONER752(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Noel,
Thanks for posting the pic's. I've been wanting to strut the doors, but really couldn't imagine any mounts pop riveted to tubing lasting against the forces of the struts.Good job.These are keepers for me.
Greg G
375KL
Mod 2

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

davef(at)cfisher.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Greg,
I don't have lift struts but just a clip on each door and i can fly with one or both doors half open or full open.
There it really no force at all on them.
"pop rivets" can be extremely strong depending on the rivet and the install .
Many many planes are made of alum and " pop rivets " only.

Dave
[quote] ---

kirkhull(at)kc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

My classic 4 came with the strut mounts as part of the kit but I did not know it was safe to open the doors in flight. Do a lot of people open them in flight or just leave them open when taking off.

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Noel Loveys
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 5:34 PM
Subject: RE: Re: cabin doors

The installation was done with two small pieces of angle. I used some metal (about .032") which I bent into angle. The angle is is held to the cross tube behind the pilot and to the frame of the back of the door. I put the strut on the back of the door because I fly floats and have to enter from the front. The angle extrusions are slotted With a Dremel tool right at the angle to allow them to be mounted on the tubes with small gear clamps. Every thing is out in the open where it is easy to inspect. Surprisingly none of the four gear clamps have loosened at all. The brackets have a hole drilled in them which the ball end of the two ball and socket ends is bolted through.

The height of the bracket on the door is important. It should be higher than the distance of the lower bracket form the door closed position to give an over centre positive close to the door when the door is pulled down.

The position of the door bracket is set to allow an [b]almost[/b] a full closure of the strut while closing the door.

This strut is 9 in. long, 10.5 in over all and has the ball and socket joints with the balls at both ends. I got this strut from a local salvage yard and have no idea what it came out of. I'm sure you can find the complete unit at an automotive supply shop if you don't have a salvage yard you can browse.

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C783E2.313198D0[/img]
The next picture is a close up of the bracket on the cross tube. It strut ball is mounted far enough into the plane so as not to interfere with the operation of the door.
[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C783E2.313198D0[/img]
I put this on my door as occasionally I like to fly and always taxi with the door open. If the salvage yard had two of these struts I would have installed both of them. It has worked well for the past year or so so I guess the next thing to do is paint the brackets to make them look as if they belonged there.
I'm far from a fortune teller but I do see another trip to the salvage yard for me in the near future.
Removing the door is easy as there is a little metal clip that holds the socket of the strut over the ball. I just have to make sure to keep the clips with the strut.
Clear as Mud??
Noel

> --

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)

image002.jpg

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

I've opened mine in flight , but only at or about 50mph.

Lynn
p.s. The installation of the struts is a lot cleaner if using the pre-
made parts probably available from John McBean. My parts came with my
kit. The mounting "angles" are actually a piece of tubing with the
mounting flange welded on (you can make these if you can weld), then
cut lengthwise. The roundness of the tubing gives a better contact
with the door frame.

On Apr 21, 2007, at 7:57 AM, kirk hull wrote:

Quote:
My classic 4 came with the strut mounts as part of the kit but I
did not know it was safe to open the doors in flight. Do a lot of
people open them in flight or just leave them open when taking off.

asq(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

My 4 Has no struts,but the doors fly in the up position when open in flight. It is a long reach over nothing to reach out and close the left one ,but if you slip a bit it will come down and close by itself. You just have to latch it.
I usually don't open it til after takeoff as the wheels throw stuff on the glass. I guess it wouldn't make any difference if you are flying off dry pavement.     Larry Huntley 4-1200
[quote] ---

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  430 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  466 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Some guys have strutted the doors from the front the hose clamps would have to be placed through between the glass and the frame. Because the installation isn't permanent you can move from front to back in a few minutes.

Noel [quote]
--

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

At 04:57 AM 4/21/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
My classic 4 came with the strut mounts as part of the kit but I did not know it was safe to open the doors in flight. Do a lot of people open them in flight or just leave them open when taking off.

I open mine in flight. I don't like distractions during takeoff. I have the struts aft so they vibrate a little when open above 65 mph. They are bubble doors and generate quite a bit of lift. You have to be careful opening them lest they rip out of your hands and you have to pull hard to close them. It's a great view, though!

Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar. [quote][b]

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

I guess that depends on what you are doing. My model III-A cruises something less than 90 mph. If I want to take a picture or something I will slow that down to below 70 and open the door with no problem. At cruise it gets a bit cold and that's enough reason to keep the doors closed. On the water I think it's a good idea to at least unlatch the door....Just in case.

Noel [quote]
--

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  462 Time(s)

image002.jpg

kirkhull(at)kc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: cabin doors Reply with quote

Well I guess on the next warm day I will just have to slow it down a little bit and open the doors. Thanks for the input

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of kirk hull
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:57 AM

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Noel Loveys
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 5:34 PM

The position of the door bracket is set to allow an [b]almost[/b] a full closure of the strut while closing the door.

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C78415.AC594660[/img]
[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C78415.AC594660[/img]
Clear as Mud??
Noel

> --

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: