Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Venting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaindonhopkin(at)aol.c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Fuel Venting Reply with quote

I'm new to this blog site and don't know if this has been discussed before. I have a 1980 Yak 52 that will vent fuel, usually from the port wing, unless I leave cracked open the gas cap. This will happen out on the ramp or inside a hanger. It will dump a couple of gallons or more. Has anyone engineered a fix for this? Thanks

Hoppy

Captain Don Hopkin
N6868Y
captaindonhopkin(at)aol.com (captaindonhopkin(at)aol.com)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Fuel Venting Reply with quote

Don,
This is a common problem for all pre-1989 Yak 52's with a single vent line, including mine. Opening up the fuel caps is typically the only way to relieve the pressure in the vent line. Another way to prevent this from happening is not to fill your fuel tanks until you are ready to fly. Most of the time if you have less than 30-35 or so liters in each tank, the fuel will not vent overboard with the fuel caps locked down.

The only real solution is to redesign the vent lines from the fuel tanks to match the 1989 and later fuel vent system, which has an individual vent line for each fuel tank. This is not an easy task, but it certainly is doable. Attached is an English translated original, early models, fuel system drawing.

BTW, for the folks on the Yak list, Don's Yak 52 is a very rare flush riveted Yak 52. Yes, it came from the factory that way.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Fuel_System_(English).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.05 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

Fuel_System_(English).jpg

jimscjs(at)mbay.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Fuel Venting Reply with quote

My Yak is Flush Rivited also.
Jim Selby
[quote] ---

captaindonhopkin(at)aol.c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: fuel venting Reply with quote

Dennis,

Thanks again for the quick reponse, as usual.

Hoppy

Captain Don Hopkin
N6868Y

[quote][b]

rob(at)redyak.demon.nl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Fuel Venting Reply with quote

Hi Don, Dennis, rest,Maybe this helps:
We have our '86 RedYak 52  since 1996 and off course the same fuel venting problem; especially in direct sun heat with full capped tanks some 5-10 liters will syphon/vent.
Preferably with someone smoking a fag next to the Yak in an airshow static display......

So I 'engeneered' a very simple and cheap 'solution', after trying some other tricks that did not work:

-take tank cap s home and drill an, e.g. M4 or M5 hole in it, then cut thread in it to fit M4 or M5 screw, I used surplus belly screws.
-Take your Dremel tool and slice a partial lenghtwise (so perpendicular to thread) slit in screws.
-unscrew partly when not flying, air and exess fuel will escape through small cut in screw.
-when checking tanks before flight fasten screw, when forgotten: fool proof; only very small amount of fuel will escape during inverted flight or because of underpressure over wing.

After this mod our problem was solved; only little venting from cap due overpressure; no more ( EURO 2,3/lit!!!!!) 5-10 lit's syphononing via center vent under belly.

Total cost: NIL
Time: 2 hours

try it; if it does not work: leave screw tight and no harm done to cap.

fly safe:

Sad to read about the Blues crash, we had them over here at Leeuwarden airbase in Holland last summer and I had a few brewskies with the hero's.......

Robert de Vries
Van Struykstraat 2
2203 HE Noordwijk
Holland,Europe
tel/fax:+31-71-3619730
mobile:+31-6-51792046
rob(at)redyak.demon.nl (rob(at)redyak.demon.nl)
www.redyak.tk
[url=skype:redyak]skype:redyak[/url]

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: