Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice--final update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcr(at)fdltownhomes.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice--final update Reply with quote

Guys: Re the looking for advice on the FSDO dude inspecting my -9A. Pre-inspection on last Wednesday caused heartburn as the inspector had serious doubts about certified engine with Van’s experimental prop by Sensenich, non-TSO equipment bolted to engine, wanting A&P to sign off prop install, do complete AD review on engine and sign off as completed, experimental sign embroidered on upholstery on baggage compartment bulkhead and not immediately by each entrance, and finally a 25 mile radius Phase 1 test area. Oh, and to make the situation more simple I could make the certified engine experimental by removing and destroying the ID plate in front of the inspector. After reading the emails giving good advice and talking to EAA AB DAR instructor, my local technical representative and my A&P buddy, I was ready for the final inspection this Monday morning at 0900. I had FAA manuals, documentation, and EAA training materials all ready to refute each and every item I thought the inspector was incorrect on. Damn, he walked in this morning and said in one breath, “the engine is ok, the embroidered experimental is ok, and you can have the 100NM radius you requested, lets finish the paperwork and get you flying”. I still don’t know what happened. I just want to say thanks to you guys and the EAA for the support. I learned more stuff than I wanted to know about amateur built airworthiness that I ever wanted to know. For instance, did you know you don’t need and ELT while in Phase 1 testing? Lots of neat info in them there manuals. Thanks, Dan
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
cjensen(at)dts9000.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Looking for advice--final update Reply with quote

Dan,

One may not need an ELT during Phase 1 testing, but for the life of me, I can imagine why I wouldn't want one....especially during testing and the known high risks associated the first few flights and specifically, the first two. That's how regs work---they tell us what we have to have, but not what we should have.

Chuck Jensen

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n616tb(at)btsapps.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Looking for advice--final update Reply with quote

Someone must have got to him. Good thing, and good luck Dan
Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Ross
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 11:03 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Looking for advice--final update

Guys: Re the looking for advice on the FSDO dude inspecting my -9A. Pre-inspection on last Wednesday caused heartburn as the inspector had serious doubts about certified engine with Van’s experimental prop by Sensenich, non-TSO equipment bolted to engine, wanting A&P to sign off prop install, do complete AD review on engine and sign off as completed, experimental sign embroidered on upholstery on baggage compartment bulkhead and not immediately by each entrance, and finally a 25 mile radius Phase 1 test area. Oh, and to make the situation more simple I could make the certified engine experimental by removing and destroying the ID plate in front of the inspector. After reading the emails giving good advice and talking to EAA AB DAR instructor, my local technical representative and my A&P buddy, I was ready for the final inspection this Monday morning at 0900. I had FAA manuals, documentation, and EAA training materials all ready to refute each and every item I thought the inspector was incorrect on. Damn, he walked in this morning and said in one breath, “the engine is ok, the embroidered experimental is ok, and you can have the 100NM radius you requested, lets finish the paperwork and get you flying”. I still don’t know what happened. I just want to say thanks to you guys and the EAA for the support. I learned more stuff than I wanted to know about amateur built airworthiness that I ever wanted to know. For instance, did you know you don’t need and ELT while in Phase 1 testing? Lots of neat info in them there manuals. Thanks, Dan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Looking for advice--final update Reply with quote

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Tim Bryan" <n616tb(at)btsapps.com> wrote:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Ross
To: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />rv-list(at)matronics.com

amateur built airworthiness that I ever wanted to know. For instance, did you know you don’t need and ELT while in Phase 1 testing? Lots of neat info in them there manuals.  Thanks, Dan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
5 [quote][b]

khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Looking for advice--final update Reply with quote

There are FAA guys building RVs. Maybe one of them read about this
event, tracked down the FAA inspector, and gave him a quick
education. Or, maybe he finally realized that he was in an area that
was outside his expertise, and did some digging by himself.

Kevin Horton
do not archive

On 24 Apr 2007, at 09:07, Tim Bryan wrote:

Quote:
Someone must have got to him. Good thing, and good luck Dan

Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-
server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Ross
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

Guys: Re the looking for advice on the FSDO dude inspecting my
-9A. Pre-inspection on last Wednesday caused heartburn as the
inspector had serious doubts about certified engine with Van’s
experimental prop by Sensenich, non-TSO equipment bolted to engine,
wanting A&P to sign off prop install, do complete AD review on
engine and sign off as completed, experimental sign embroidered on
upholstery on baggage compartment bulkhead and not immediately by
each entrance, and finally a 25 mile radius Phase 1 test area. Oh,
and to make the situation more simple I could make the certified
engine experimental by removing and destroying the ID plate in
front of the inspector. After reading the emails giving good
advice and talking to EAA AB DAR instructor, my local technical
representative and my A&P buddy, I was ready for the final
inspection this Monday morning at 0900. I had FAA manuals,
documentation, and EAA training materials all ready to refute each
and every item I thought the inspector was incorrect on. Damn, he
walked in this morning and said in one breath, “the engine is ok,
the embroidered experimental is ok, and you can have the 100NM
radius you requested, lets finish the paperwork and get you
flying”. I still don’t know what happened. I just want to say
thanks to you guys and the EAA for the support. I learned more
stuff than I wanted to know about amateur built airworthiness that
I ever wanted to know. For instance, did you know you don’t need
and ELT while in Phase 1 testing? Lots of neat info in them there
manuals. Thanks, Dan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: