Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irons for covering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

I'm in the covering stage on my kitfox 2 with the Stitts Dacron 1.7 oz. and I'm having trouble finding the right Iron, the first one only went up to 325 took it back the next one a black and Decker goes from 223 to 253 and 331 to 355 at one setting is there a good one out there I can calibrate closer or is it necessary I have a digital deep fryer thermometer seem to be accurate in boiling water. Anyone know?

Jerry Evans
kitfox 555 [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

I got my iron information from Jim Miller at Aircraft Technical
Support, in Columbus, Ohio, a Polyfiber dealer, and EAA workshop
presenter. Their number is 1-877-877-3334. I can't recall what Jim
told me about the model numbers of the various Black and Decker
irons, but the one I got fit within the models he suggested. It is
Model S220. He said not to get the automatic temperature controlled
models. Get the cheaper manual control models. Yes, calibration is
necessary. I spent about three hours calibrating mine. The
temperature will go up to a certain point and then drop. I used the
mercury (I think) thermometer that Polyfiber sells for about $12, but
also used a digital thermometer in conjunction with the mercury
thermometer. Both were imbedded into a blob of Silicone Heat Sink
Compound on the base of the iron. I won't go into the whole
calibrating process, but I watched the digital numbers go up to a
certain point, wrote them down, and watched as the numbers dropped
and recorded the lowest number. I did this through 5 cycles of the
iron's temperature fluctuations, and averaged the readings, then
called that number the for that particular setting. I had previously
made 11 marks around the temperature control dial. I did this
watching of each rise and fall of temperatures for each of the 11
positions of control setting, until I had 11 heat ranges for my iron.
(imagine how upset I was when one iron went belly up and I had to buy
another and do it all over again) I now had 11 choices for setting
the heats: my 11 different choices were: 215, 222, 228, 230,238, 256,
266, 290, 312, 337, and 358.
You mentioned one went up to only 325...that would have been enough,
I think. I seem to recall I only had to go to 312 for complete
tightening. Jim told me the more recent irons just don't hold temps
all that accurately. You have to realize that there will be a range
of temps that the iron will fluctuate around, and do your work around
these ranges. As I recall, the Kitfox manual says to stop tightening
when the structure starts to distort...and it will, especially the
fuselage longerons. Have you got the Polyfiber covering manual? If
not, get it. Jim will answer any and all questions. He and wife Dondi
are valuable assets to the homebuilding community, and are glad to help.

Lynn
Kitfox IV Speedster...Jabiru 2200

On Apr 23, 2007, at 10:15 PM, jerry evans wrote:

Quote:
I'm in the covering stage on my kitfox 2 with the Stitts Dacron 1.7
oz. and I'm having trouble finding the right Iron, the first one
only went up to 325 took it back the next one a black and
Decker goes from 223 to 253 and 331 to 355 at one setting is
there a good one out there I can calibrate closer or is it
necessary I have a digital deep fryer thermometer seem to be
accurate in boiling water. Anyone know?

Jerry Evans
kitfox 555 _-
www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List _-
============================================================

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

xfire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Irons for covering Reply with quote

I would be VERY careful. I had to recover the rudder and elevator due to trying to bring it up to the full 350. If you read the manual (for stits covering), it states that you should not go over 250 on the wing or you will pull the fabric off the undercamber. The tubes in the KF are much smaller than most "certified" aircraft and you will buckle them if you try for the full tension. About 275 was the most I could go before the tubes started to pull in.

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

The Iron I use is a Proctor Silex. I can get a pretty accurate 350F with it. I don't use a thermometer. They can be hard to calibrate. Even testing using boiling water is not as reliable as you may expect. Water seldom, if ever, boils at 212F. Altitude and low pressure areas can have a pretty good boil going on at temperatures below 180F or as high as 220F. They say you can't cook an egg or make a good cup of tea in the Rockies for that reason.

I think if I was to use a thermometer I would use a glass candy thermometer. The accuracy of these thermometers should be very high. Remember to cushion the thermometer in several layers of newsprint paper... After all they are glass. The down side is it will take several minutes to make a reading and then you will want to calibrate your iron to make resets a bit faster.

I don't use a thermometer. I use a special wax sticks. A throw back to then I used to set the thermal back printing decks on photo paper processors. There are several wax sticks which melt at various exact temperatures and the ones marked 300F and 350F get regular usage. Once the 300 wax stick melts and the 350F stick barely melts I'm there. The melted wax wipes off easily, makes checking the temp easy and as a bonus the wax cleans the face of the iron. I can even tell the hot and cool parts of the iron's surface.

I am, however, wondering if any one is using a laser thermometer and if so how is the accuracy. I think that may be an accurate alternative to the old candy thermometer.

Noel [quote]
--

dan(at)azshowersolutions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

One thing I have found that will vary temp settings is the extension chord used. You should use the same chord that you calibrated with. I tried using a 50' chord after I calibrated with a 25'...it was off a bit. Also, pay attention to other devices that are being used on the same circuit. If the radio was on and a drop light was being used when you calibrate...yup...better turn em on when you use the iron on your plane. FWIW
Dan Billingsley
Mesa, AZ
N314DW / KF-IV / 912S still building http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Kitfox1.html

Noel Loveys <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca> wrote:
[quote] The Iron I use is a Proctor Silex. I can get a pretty accurate 350F with it. I don't use a thermometer. They can be hard to calibrate. Even testing using boiling water is not as reliable as you may expect. Water seldom, if ever, boils at 212F. Altitude and low pressure areas can have a pretty good boil going on at temperatures below 180F or as high as 220F. They say you can't cook an egg or make a good cup of tea in the Rockies for that reason.

I think if I was to use a thermometer I would use a glass candy thermometer. The accuracy of these thermometers should be very high. Remember to cushion the thermometer in several layers of newsprint paper... After all they are glass. The down side is it will take several minutes to make a reading and then you will want to calibrate your iron to make resets a bit faster.

I don't use a thermometer. I use a special wax sticks. A throw back to then I used to set the thermal back printing decks on photo paper processors. There are several wax sticks which melt at various exact temperatures and the ones marked 300F and 350F get regular usage. Once the 300 wax stick melts and the 350F stick barely melts I'm there. The melted wax wipes off easily, makes checking the temp easy and as a bonus the wax cleans the face of the iron. I can even tell the hot and cool parts of the iron's surface.

I am, however, wondering if any one is using a laser thermometer and if so how is the accuracy. I think that may be an accurate alternative to the old candy thermometer.

Noel
[quote]
--

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

Noel, I just ordered an infrared thermometer and it claims 1% accuracy. It
is a recognized mane brand unit and think the claims are valid.

Your mention of the temps you test for makes me wonder if you have seen the
Poly Fiber manual. It recommends calibrating at 200°, 225°,250° and 350°.
There are procedures at each of these temps in the covering process. My 912
manual calls for a maximum shrink temp of 300°, this, I understand is due to
the light weight structure that can deform with the 350° max Polyfiber
recommends.

I understand the wax concept as it is similar to the cones that jewelry
manufacturers use to calibrate their furnaces, but I would be a bit
concerned about wax residue on the fabric. It could cause fish eye in the
final finish.

Lowell

---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

Thanks Lowell

I've never had a problem with the cloth pulling too tight Except once when I
used a fairly heavy cloth on a rudder...I cant remember the weight off hand.
The wax is so easy to wipe off the face of the iron there is no residue
left. I do have to be careful not to allow it to get into the steam vents
though.

Fish eye has never been a problem with any of the finishes I've used. What
is a problem here though is our damp climate. You have to wait for a warm
dry day for a lot of the finishes or you will get blushing. A good cold
winter day with a hot wood fire also works but you are up all night keeping
the fire burning.

Noel Loveys, RPP
Campbellton, Newfoundland, Canada
Kitfox Mod III-A, 582, B box, Ivo IFA
Aerocet 1100s
noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca

[quote] --

occom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

I have a Black and Decker iron I stole from the missus. (she bought a new
one). I have an infrared thermometer and one of the open coil coverite ones
and a glass thermometer from way back in the days of prohibition, They all
read roughly the same. The iron drifts up and down about 10 deg.

Do not archive

smokey_bear_40220(at)yaho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

After fooling with 2 irons for a bit, I bought a hobby
shop tacking iron that guarantees within 3% accuracy.
It was about $30 and has lights on it that tell you
when it is up to temperature and flash if it falls out
of the 3% range. I found it quite accurate, but you
must go slowly, or it will not be able to keep up the
heat. Great in the corners though.

I used this almost entirely using N-S-E-W passes to
ensure even temps. One day I caught the cord and
knocked it down. When I plugged it in to begin work,
the thing melted down! It worked fine on planes but
wasn´t up to being Marined..... Breaking things is
part of a Marine´s job after all.

Kurt Schrader
S'5 NSI turbo and CAP 140 prop
Florida and Panama City Panama

Shameless ad, trying to develop an airport reirement
community down here in Panama.....

dpremgood(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

Jerry, I used a Black and Decker household iron (I forget the model
No.) with a manual thermostat.

I bought a 'MiniTemp' infrared temperature sensor to calibrate the
iron.
The beauty of this thing is that it takes a second to see what the
temperature of the iron is. One can also see the temperature variation
in the iron instantaneously.

I strongly suggest reading the Polyfiber Manual THUROUGHLY before
beginning your covering process.

Regards,

Doug Remoundos
Classic IV
Montreal, Canada

--

barry(at)pgtc.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

OK, I have to throw this in. I drilled a hole in the small iron that
receives a precision laboratory thermometer with a dial indicator. The
hole is more than an inch deep. This way, I have a constant reading of the
temperature. I believe this could be done with the household iron. Based
on my experience, most of these thermostats are terribly inaccurate and
inconsistent. I tried several before finding one that is nearly consistent.
It is a Sunbeam. I calibrated it by the Polyfiber instructions.

N880BW has been flying for 6 years now and has 500 hours on it and the
fabric is holding up well.

Barry West. Model IV, 1200

dafox(at)ckt.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

Hello Barry, and all,

I, like all of us that spent hours calibrating our Irons, Manacote irons too, till they were
as good as we could get them. I was ready to start covering, and I chose the wing to be first.
after I had it covered, it sure looked wrinkled, I called a friend who had his Kitfox covered, painted,
and ready to fly, and told him,I think I messed up my wing cause it was so wrinkled. He drove almost
a hundred miles to come and help, he said the wing was covered just fine. I gave him my calibrated
iron to use, he said I brought my own and do it by feel. His Iron was not calibrated and he done a
great job, and that was six years ago this month that I have been flying my IV 1200. Incidently,
while my friend was here that day, he covered both sides of the fuselage, the verticle stabilizer, and the
bottom, and had it heat shrunk before he went back home, with an uncalibrated iron.

I finished the covering, had help on the other wing, but done the rest myself, did I use my calibrated
iron ? you bet I did. This guy just knew exactly how to use that Iron, He had lots of experiance !!!!!

David, Kifox IV 1200 912 UL

[quote] ---

cjswa(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Irons for covering Reply with quote

Jerry,

Sorry I'm a little late in replying. I tried at least 5 irons, some quite high priced, before I found one that held calibration well. Two years ago, the best iron I found was a Sunbeam Model 3980, which held calibration within PolyFiber's requirements. It was also the cheapest at about $12 from Walmart. For the tighter areas, I use a Coverite Black Baron Iron (I think you can get this at Aircraft Spruce). The Black Baron maintains a very accurate temperature.

When you are calibrating the iron, make sure you let it go through a few heating cycles before you check the temperature. The first couple of times the thermostat turns on and off it will overshoot.

Bill Anderson
Brentwood, NH
Model IV - 1050 (not yet done)

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: