Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alcoholic gas tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josandt(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: alcoholic gas tanks Reply with quote

Hey gang, I'm one of the new guys. I'm taking the bold action of installing Steve Winder's crosslinked poly gas tanks into my Kitfox Seven to avoid the evils of alcoholic gas tank degeneration (if it really exists). I've received the plastic tanks and cut the old fiberglass tanks out of my wing. Wasn't near as bad as I had anticipated. "Airedale" Steve has been very helpful. He does respond to e-mail. The new tanks look very good. Anyway, within the next few days I hope to install the tanks into one wing and will be able to give ground level info if anyone is interested. Cost per wing $500. There's more info (at) WingTanks.com than was originally posted there. Have really enjoyed the dialogue here on the list.

John Sandt / Kitfox 7 Builder / Tri-gear / Corvair / Ridgecrest, CA

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: alcoholic gas tanks Reply with quote

As the tanks are load-bearing structurally, how do you know the new tanks will do that job?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

josandt(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: alcoholic gas tanks Reply with quote

Bob, When I pulled the factory-installed tanks (Sky Star '94) out of a Series 5 factory-built wing, I noticed that 90% of the adhesive designed to bond the tank to the spars was cured without any contact with the spar. This was because of the large gap between the tank's front and rear surfaces and the spar surfaces. With almost no adhesive bond, how strong could that be? It was mostly just the small tank flanges glued to the top surface of the spar (most of which was also loose). The fabric is glued down to the top of the tank, but how strong could that be? Anyway, the new tanks connect with small aluminum tubes connected between the spars, plywood over and under the tanks - glued all the way around, and expanding foam filling the voids. I've built houses, surfboards, worked on boat construction, etc. And all I can say is that this APPEARS that it will be at least as strong as what was there. And that's just an opinion, I'm not an aero engineer. As you say, info on the net is worth what you pay. But ours is an experimental hobby by nature. Steve of "WingTanks.com" says that other experimentals are flying with this type of tank and similar wing construction - I believe he said "Just Aircraft" are using this type of tank.
John Sandt / Series 7 / tri-gear / Corvair / Ridgecrest, CA

<<As the tanks are load-bearing structurally, how do you know the new tanks will do that job?>>

--------
Remember that internet advice may only be worth what you pay.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=109327#109327

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: alcoholic gas tanks Reply with quote

At 04:26 AM 4/26/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
As the tanks are load-bearing structurally, how do you know the new
tanks will do that job?

Hi Bob. Would you please put your full name, approximate location,
aircraft and engine type, and build / flying status in your
signature? Mike and I are trying to make the place a little more
friendly and the information helps people get to know each other a
little better.

Thanks,
Guy Buchanan, Kitfox List Moderator
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

jdmcbean(at)kitfoxaircraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: alcoholic gas tanks Reply with quote

Just for the record..

To the best of my knowledge SkyStar never installed fuel tanks in other
then factory demonstrators.. factory built wings did not include fuel tank
installation.

The install is very different in the other aircraft and usually results in
much less fuel capapcity.

Fly Safe !!
John & Debra McBean
www.kitfoxaircraft.com
"It's not how Fast... It's how Fun!"

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: