Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke System Warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamara_b(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Group,

End of 2005 I had a "Smoking Airplanes" smoke
system installed in my CJ by a reputable AMO.
Today in the afternoon the cheap plastic elbow
near (and due) that heavy brass valve cracked
and the inside of my airplane is a living mess,
smoke oil everywhere.
So far for the MIL SPEC PARTS, now I am the
guy who is steaming - I do not need a smoke
system anymore.

I need a drink now.............

cheers

Elmar (C-FTKL)
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Well that rules out smoking airplane as the manufacturer of my future smoke
system.
So who else out there makes a reasonable system for a YAK-50?
Doc Kemp

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

In a message dated 5/22/2007 12:27:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, viperdoc(at)mindspring.com writes:

I do not know what smoking gun s(whoever) charges for their stuff, but I am will to bet you can build you own for almost the same price. The most expensive item would be the pump, particularly if you go to an STC'd aircraft fuel pump. You may want one that runs on 24V (pricey) but you can find no aircraft rated pumps, much cheaper.

Figure out where you want to mount the smoke oil tank. Make a card board model with scissor and masking type. Figure how you'd want to mount it and where would be the best place for a filler point. Take the model to almost any welding shop and have them weld it up out of .040 aluminum. Your tank does not have to be large. Mine holds a little over 5 gals. I made it the exact same size as the old ADF box and mounted it on the same rack. The tank and oil weight less than the ADF did so the rack will hold it (and has now for over 500 hours) just fine. 5 gals last long enough for most any show.

I found a RED tagged 24v fuel pump that ran, but the bearings were bad. Since this in NOT a safety of flight item, it service its purpose fine. It was very inexpensive. Common auto fuel hose from NAPA and simple hose clamps, the hose runs for the tank, to the pump, to a though the fire wall T fitting. From there I use high press, stainless steel covered flexible hose to the exhaust stacks.

Than all you need is a switch and wire to run the pump.

BTW. You can clean out the belly of the CJ fairly easy. Get some "Gunk" or other good degreaser. Mix it 1/4 degreaser to 3/4 mineral spirits. Remove the ADF cover on the belly. Have someone hang on the tail skip while you put a couple of 2x4s under the nose wheel. Now spray inside the airframe. Now rinse out with copious amounts of fresh water. You will not need high water pressure, just let the water flow out. Just don't go spraying water on electrical stuff of course. Leave her in the sun for a few hours, and she'll dry out nicely.

Smoke oil can be messy but it usually does not hurt the airframe.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "viperdoc" <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com>

system.
Doc Kemp

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Elmar
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 10:42 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Smoke System Warning

--> Yak-List message posted by: Elmar <tamara_b(at)telus.net>
Group,

End of 2005 I had a "Smoking Airplanes" smoke
system installed in my CJ by a reputable AMO.
Today in the afternoon the cheap plastic elbow
near (and due) that heavy brass valve cracked
and the inside of my airplane is a living mess,
smoke oil everywhere.
So far for the MIL SPEC PARTS, now I am the
guy who is steaming - I do not need a smoke
system anymore.

I need a drink now.............

cheers

Elmar (C-FTKL)
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

steve.fox(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Viper DocI know a number guys with The Smoking Airplane System, including myself, who have had zero problems. I had one small leak of my own doing. However, I am going to suggest to John at Smoking Airplanes that he change all his fittings over to ANR, as I have done. The vibrations in the Yak may just be too much for plastic.

Steve
On May 22, 2007, at 12:25 AM, viperdoc wrote:
Quote:

system.
Doc Kemp

Stephen Fox
Consulting Partner/Facilitator & Trainer
thinkx Intellectual Capital
Think Exponentially
308 Columbus Ave. #2
Boston, MA 02116
http://www.thinkxic.com
email: steve.fox(at)thinkxic.com (steve.fox(at)thinkxic.com)
Direct: 603.924.8660
Cell: 603.547.0448

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Pappy and Steve,
Thanks. It may be better to make my own since I can fit it in the hell hole very easily and not affect the cg hardly at all since it near the spar.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cjpilot710(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: Smoke System Warning

In a message dated 5/22/2007 12:27:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, viperdoc(at)mindspring.com writes:

I do not know what smoking gun s(whoever) charges for their stuff, but I am will to bet you can build you own for almost the same price. The most expensive item would be the pump, particularly if you go to an STC'd aircraft fuel pump. You may want one that runs on 24V (pricey) but you can find no aircraft rated pumps, much cheaper.

Figure out where you want to mount the smoke oil tank. Make a card board model with scissor and masking type. Figure how you'd want to mount it and where would be the best place for a filler point. Take the model to almost any welding shop and have them weld it up out of .040 aluminum. Your tank does not have to be large. Mine holds a little over 5 gals. I made it the exact same size as the old ADF box and mounted it on the same rack. The tank and oil weight less than the ADF did so the rack will hold it (and has now for over 500 hours) just fine. 5 gals last long enough for most any show.

I found a RED tagged 24v fuel pump that ran, but the bearings were bad. Since this in NOT a safety of flight item, it service its purpose fine. It was very inexpensive. Common auto fuel hose from NAPA and simple hose clamps, the hose runs for the tank, to the pump, to a though the fire wall T fitting. From there I use high press, stainless steel covered flexible hose to the exhaust stacks.

BTW. You can clean out the belly of the CJ fairly easy. Get some "Gunk" or other good degreaser. Mix it 1/4 degreaser to 3/4 mineral spirits. Remove the ADF cover on the belly. Have someone hang on the tail skip while you put a couple of 2x4s under the nose wheel. Now spray inside the airframe. Now rinse out with copious amounts of fresh water. You will not need high water pressure, just let the water flow out. Just don't go spraying water on electrical stuff of course. Leave her in the sun for a few hours, and she'll dry out nicely.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote]

system.
Doc Kemp

--

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Talk to Tim Williams - he has the list of parts and pumps we are using in 3 TW's , 1 CJ, and a couple straight Yak's.. simple stuff, aviation grade parts, and economical.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:32 AM
Subject: RE: Smoke System Warning

Pappy and Steve,
Thanks. It may be better to make my own since I can fit it in the hell hole very easily and not affect the cg hardly at all since it near the spar.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cjpilot710(at)aol.com

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote]

system.
Doc Kemp

--

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Here is a picture of that system at work..

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David McGirt
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:47 AM

Talk to Tim Williams - he has the list of parts and pumps we are using in 3 TW's , 1 CJ, and a couple straight Yak's.. simple stuff, aviation grade parts, and economical.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp

Pappy and Steve,
Doc

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote]

system.
Doc Kemp

--

CIMG1892.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.16 KB
 Viewed:  153 Time(s)

CIMG1892.JPG

cliff(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Or if you want to go whole hog....

Cheers,
Cliff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5_K7exnVys

David McGirt wrote:

[quote] Here is a picture of that system at work..

[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *David McGirt
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:47 AM
*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* RE: Smoke System Warning

Talk to Tim Williams - he has the list of parts and pumps we are using
in 3 TW's , 1 CJ, and a couple straight Yak's.. simple stuff, aviation
grade parts, and economical.

[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Roger Kemp
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:32 AM
*Subject:* RE: Smoke System Warning

Pappy and Steve,

Thanks. It may be better to make my own since I can fit it in the hell
hole very easily and not affect the cg hardly at all since it near the
spar.

Doc

[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of
*cjpilot710(at)aol.com
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:22 AM
*Subject:* Re: Smoke System Warning

In a message dated 5/22/2007 12:27:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
viperdoc(at)mindspring.com writes:

I do not know what smoking gun s(whoever) charges for their stuff, but
I am will to bet you can build you own for almost the same price. The
most expensive item would be the pump, particularly if you go to an
STC'd aircraft fuel pump. You may want one that runs on 24V (pricey)
but you can find no aircraft rated pumps, much cheaper.

Figure out where you want to mount the smoke oil tank. Make a card
board model with scissor and masking type. Figure how you'd want to
mount it and where would be the best place for a filler point. Take
the model to almost any welding shop and have them weld it up out of
.040 aluminum. Your tank does not have to be large. Mine holds a
little over 5 gals. I made it the exact same size as the old ADF box
and mounted it on the same rack. The tank and oil weight less than
the ADF did so the rack will hold it (and has now for over 500 hours)
just fine. 5 gals last long enough for most any show.

I found a RED tagged 24v fuel pump that ran, but the bearings were
bad. Since this in NOT a safety of flight item, it service its
purpose fine. It was very inexpensive. Common auto fuel hose from NAPA
and simple hose clamps, the hose runs for the tank, to the pump, to a
though the fire wall T fitting. From there I use high press,
stainless steel covered flexible hose to the exhaust stacks.

BTW. You can clean out the belly of the CJ fairly easy. Get some
"Gunk" or other good degreaser. Mix it 1/4 degreaser to 3/4 mineral
spirits. Remove the ADF cover on the belly. Have someone hang on the
tail skip while you put a couple of 2x4s under the nose wheel. Now
spray inside the airframe. Now rinse out with copious amounts of
fresh water. You will not need high water pressure, just let the
water flow out. Just don't go spraying water on electrical stuff of
course. Leave her in the sun for a few hours, and she'll dry out nicely.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Well that rules out smoking airplane as the manufacturer of my
future smoke
system.
Doc Kemp

--

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

If I can get him to answer his cell phone or his email, I will. May just have to fly over there on a regualar basis circling his hanger until I catch him home! Damned early retirement must be great! What did I do wrong…oh forgot…agreed to accept BC/BS PMD and Medicare! F*&$#^(at)! Thieves!
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David McGirt
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:47 AM

Pappy and Steve,
Doc

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote]

system.
Doc Kemp

--

ByronMFox(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

Once again, John at Smoking Airplanes has responded as I knew he would. Never met a man more sincere about his product. You can absolutely trust him to do the right thing.

His system in my CJ has operated flawlessly for more than three years with its original plastic elbow.

....Blitz

[quote][b]

jeffpritchard(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

I just visited with John about a system for my CJ. Due to the problem with Linedog's CJ, he now provides metal fittings for all of his systems.
Fiddler
[quote] --

Jetj01(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Smoke System Warning Reply with quote

As has ours in the YAK 50s. Since we know the YAKs/CJs do vibrate a lot and have greater Gs to them than average, I'd recommend checking over them every few hours and making sure everything is still airworthy. I never read anything on the smoke system instructions that said, "Fly and forget..."

Jj
YAK 50

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: