Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel selector valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pequeajim

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

I was thinking about using the ANDAIR fuel valve. I wanted one that would allow me to fly with both tanks selected if I wanted to.

This one that I found at Aircraft Spruce is exactly what I am looking for, but I quote their comment on the site: "The FS20x4 Fuel Selector is designed for high wing aircraft where it is possible to feed from both tanks simultaneously".

Wil this work if properly ported with the Lightning setup?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/fs20tYPE4.php

Also, I was looking for the smaller aluminum eyeball air vents, MAN! are they expensive! I have only gone to Wicks and Aircraft Spruce. Is there a better place to find this kind of stuff?

Jim!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Colin K.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Jim,

Someone on this list posted some nice photographs a few weeks back, where he had used 4 aluminium vents from the passenger compartment of a Jumbo Jet!

By my calculation, that means he has about 296 left over. He might be willing to part with them. Unless of course you have a scrapped Jumbo lying about somewhere yourself?

Smile
Colin K.
OK
---- Jim Langley <pequeajim(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking about using the ANDAIR fuel valve. I wanted one that would
allow me to fly with both tanks selected if I wanted to.

This one that I found at Aircraft Spruce is exactly what I am looking for,
but I quote their comment on the site: "The FS20x4 Fuel Selector is designed
for high wing aircraft where it is possible to feed from both tanks
simultaneously".

Also, I was looking for the smaller aluminum eyeball air vents, MAN! are
they expensive! I have only gone to Wicks and Aircraft Spruce. Is there a
better place to find this kind of stuff?

Jim!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Jim ...
the fuel selector will work if it also has a left and a right. This is because you should run either left or right tanks when below half capacity. With the low wing design the tanks may feed unevenly and when one emptys first the pump will continue to draw air from that tank because it is easier than drawing the fuel and result in fuel starvation. So you should be able to run left or right when getting down on fuel quantity...

Nick

Jim Langley <pequeajim(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote]
I was thinking about using the ANDAIR fuel valve. I wanted one that would allow me to fly with both tanks selected if I wanted to.

This one that I found at Aircraft Spruce is exactly what I am looking for, but I quote their comment on the site: "The FS20x4 Fuel [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48226/*http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php]Get the free Yahoo! toolbar[/url] and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection. [quote][b]

pete(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Jim,

You can run off both tanks until one goes empty. Then you will just suck air from the empty tank. Engine will run poorly on air alone.

Pete

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Langley
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:43 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuel selector valve

This one that I found at Aircraft Spruce is exactly what I am looking for, but I quote their comment on the site: "The FS20x4 Fuel Selector is designed for high wing aircraft where it is possible to feed from both tanks simultaneously".

Also, I was looking for the smaller aluminum eyeball air vents, MAN! are they expensive! I have only gone to Wicks and Aircraft Spruce. Is there a better place to find this kind of stuff?

Jim!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

pequeajim

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

"You can run off both tanks until one goes empty. Then you will just suck air from the empty tank. Engine will run poorly on air alone"

I heard that about aircraft engines... You would think that Jabiru would make an engine that can run on 100LL, AutoGas AND Air!

hmmmm..

BTW: I just bought the Jabiru Engine Installation Seminar from HomebuiltHelp.com. I've viewed about half of it so far; very good.

My wife wanted to know who that stud was who was explaining the operation of the carb? I told her not to worry about it and to keep sanding!

(just kidding...)

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Jim,
I've had experience with this. Nick told me to treat it like a Piper and
just switch every 30 minutes. The Grand Rapids EFIS also has a built in
interval alarm where it'll flash a message until you acknowlege it. Kind of
nice. I was flying Rick Bowen's plane and made a touch and go after about 3
hours of flight. I turned and the engine kind of choked down. I thought
that I had ran out of fuel on the high wing side. Come to find out it had
just burned uneven and the low wing had about 1/3 of a tank and was sucking
air in turning flight. Of course I followed the old pilot way of "undo
whatever you did if something goes wrong" and in straight and level it was
fine. Using the 30 minute interval I flew up to 3.5 hours at a time without
any further occurence. Brian W.
Reply-To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Fuel selector valve
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:13:05 -0700

"You can run off both tanks until one goes empty. Then you will just suck
air from the empty tank. Engine will run poorly on air alone"

I heard that about aircraft engines... You would think that Jabiru would
make an engine that can run on 100LL, AutoGas AND Air!

hmmmm..

BTW: I just bought the Jabiru Engine Installation Seminar from
HomebuiltHelp.com. I've viewed about half of it so far; very good.

My wife wanted to know who that stud was who was explaining the operation of
the carb?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=114623#114623

pilot(at)benjamindsmith.c

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

On Thursday 24 May 2007, pequeajim wrote:
Quote:
"You can run off both tanks until one goes empty. Then you will just suck
air from the empty tank. Engine will run poorly on air alone"

When I went snorkelling, the top end of the snorkel point down towards the
water (my head) there was a seal and a floatie ball in a cage. When I was up
for air, the ball would rattle in the cage and let the air thru.

But when I went under, the ball would rise and plug up the hole so I wouldn't
have to spit out the water when I came back up.

Seems to me that you could do something similar by putting a floating ball in
a cage over the fuel inlet. Add gas, ball floats, fuel flows. Burn gas, fuel
drops, ball plugs hole.

Any reason why this isn't done in fuel tanks to prevent accidental "sucking of
air"?

Surely the likelyhood of this clogging in the air (rare, if properly designed)
is much less than the likelyhood of sucking air into the motor?

// My $0.02

-Ben
--
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long
to return."
-- Leonardo da Vinci

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

In a message dated 5/24/2007 7:52:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pilot(at)benjamindsmith.com writes:
Quote:

When I went snorkelling, the top end of the snorkel point down towards the
water (my head) there was a seal and a floatie ball in a cage. When I was up
for air, the ball would rattle in the cage and let the air thru.

But when I went under, the ball would rise and plug up the hole so I wouldn't
have to spit out the water when I came back up.

Seems to me that you could do something similar by putting a floating ball in
a cage over the fuel inlet. Add gas, ball floats, fuel flows. Burn gas, fuel
drops, ball plugs hole.

Any reason why this isn't done in fuel tanks to prevent accidental "sucking of
air"?

Surely the likelyhood of this clogging in the air (rare, if properly designed)
is much less than the likelyhood of sucking air into the motor?

// My $0.02

-Ben

Ben,

In my opinion, less is more.

The more crap you put in an airplane to fix something that isnt broke, the more chances you have to experience unplaned landings. Adding anything to a fuel system is just asking for the opportunity to be a part of the statistical data that shows 80% of the homebuilt crashes are due to fuel problems.

You simply must pay attention to fuel tanks in a Lightning or you will cease flying. Knowing you must switch tanks at some point is actually helpful. Thousands of Pipers do it all the time.

Doug Koenigsberg

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Jim,
Nick, Pete, and Doug have answered your fuel valve question, and I agree totally with what they said. But let me add that I think the Andair line of fuel valves is probably the best available. So I would definitely recommend your use one of theirs.
However, why put a valve with a both position on a low wing airplane? What does that do for you other than give you a potential for a "flame out". In other words, it add a "trouble mode" that may or may not bite you. So, I see no operational reason to have a both position - certainly not on a low wing airplane. When I had a Cessna 170B, I almost never used the both position. Why, because I wanted to know where my fuel was (how much and in which tank). When you feed from both at the same time, one side will always feed faster and then you are guessing how much is in which tank because the fuel gauges are always inaccurate. We all know that the most accurate fuel gauge is the one on your wrist.
The Lightning fuel gauges are probably better than most because Pete and Nick have spent the extra money to provide the kits with the capacitance type of tank quantity measuring system. They are certainly more accurate than the float type. Add to that the ability to put a fuel flow system on the Jabiru and you have a totally separate back up fuel quantity system. The fuel flow system can be calibrated so that your "totalizer" is very accurate.
Blue Skies,
Buz

PS: Just thought of another point about not using the both position. By burning from either left or right tanks (not both) you can control your aircraft balance in roll. If you are flying alone (like most of the time) then you can burn from the left tank first and keep that side a few gallons below the right to keep the aircraft balanced in roll.

[quote][b]

pequeajim

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the explanation of why not both. I guess flying a 172 all the time, I have always flown with the selector in the both position because that is what the instructor tells you to do. It makes sense what you are saying and I will look for the same valve with left-right-off positions.

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: Fuel selector valve

Jim,

Nick, Pete, and Doug have answered your fuel valve question, and I agree totally with what they said. But let me add that I think the Andair line of fuel valves is probably the best available. So I would definitely recommend your use one of theirs.

However, why put a valve with a both position on a low wing airplane? What does that do for you other than give you a potential for a "flame out". In other words, it add a "trouble mode" that may or may not bite you. So, I see no operational reason to have a both position - certainly not on a low wing airplane. When I had a Cessna 170B, I almost never used the both position. Why, because I wanted to know where my fuel was (how much and in which tank). When you feed from both at the same time, one side will always feed faster and then you are guessing how much is in which tank because the fuel gauges are always inaccurate. We all know that the most accurate fuel gauge is the one on your wrist.

The Lightning fuel gauges are probably better than most because Pete and Nick have spent the extra money to provide the kits with the capacitance type of tank quantity measuring system. They are certainly more accurate than the float type. Add to that the ability to put a fuel flow system on the Jabiru and you have a totally separate back up fuel quantity system. The fuel flow system can be calibrated so that your "totalizer" is very accurate.

Blue Skies,

Buz

PS: Just thought of another point about not using the both position. By burning from either left or right tanks (not both) you can control your aircraft balance in roll. If you are flying alone (like most of the time) then you can burn from the left tank first and keep that side a few gallons below the right to keep the aircraft balanced in roll.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: