Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

radio light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icubob(at)newnorth.net

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

hi all,
i have just gotten my icom 200 wired and it works! no credit to me , i had help. the radio reqiures a separate power feed for its lighting. the plane will be used daytime vfr only. i could wire the lighting on always , wire it to go on with the nav lights, and numerous other ways. not a very big deal but i wanted to hear if there is a logical reason to do it one way versus another. thanks
bob noffs
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
klehman(at)albedo.net

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

Hi Bob

FWIW I have a bright/off/dim switch on mine because I like it dimmed at
night. On bubble canopy aircraft it doesn't seem to make much difference
whether it is lighted during daytime but in my high wing machine with
sunglasses on, the light does seem to make it slightly easier to read
during the day. Actually when I realized that all the little lights
were incandescant instead of LED's, I put a 10 ohm resistor in series
with the light for the bright setting to insure long life but I have no
real idea of the bulb life without the resistor. My dim position puts a
22 ohm resistor in series with the lights. It would have been fine wired
to the instrument light dimmer as well but I wanted it on when the other
things were turned off.

Another peculiarity I had was that the mic gain on the top of the radio
was set too high from the factory for any mic that I tried which
resulted in poor transmissions initially.

Ken

bob noffs wrote:

Quote:
hi all,
i have just gotten my icom 200 wired and it works! no credit to me ,
i had help. the radio reqiures a separate power feed for its lighting.
the plane will be used daytime vfr only. i could wire the lighting on
always , wire it to go on with the nav lights, and numerous other
ways. not a very big deal but i wanted to hear if there is a logical
reason to do it one way versus another. thanks
bob noffs

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

I couldn't resist to ask you 2 naughty questions:
If you airplane will be used daytime vfr only, why does it have nav lights for?
Second question, even if you don't want to get rid of those (perhaps useless) nav lights, are you wanting to turn them on whenever you feel you need to turn on your radio's lighting?

Now more seriously, wire your radio lighting to its own power (lighting always on if the radio is on), or to the instruments lighting, if your plane has it.

Carlos

[quote] ---

luigit(at)freemail.it

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

Hi all.
Installing my Icom 200 I have a question.
I have a three wire shielded cable available and I wish to use it for the microphone and the phones jacks at the same time ,two wire for the mike and one for the earphone, using the shield for both. Is my project applicable ? Is there any problem arising with this scheme ?
Thank you for the help.
Luigi
Rome, Italy

--- Messaggio originale --- hi all,
i have just gotten my icom 200 wired and it works! no credit to me , i had help. the radio reqiures a separate power feed for its lighting. the plane will be used daytime vfr only. i could wire the lighting on always , wire it to go on with the nav lights, and numerous other ways. not a very big deal but i wanted to hear if there is a logical reason to do it one way versus another. thanks
bob noffs
Quote:

-- Dada.net: fai nuove amicizie e ... guadagna con loro grazie a friend$! --

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

Hi Luigi,
I believe what you are saying is correct and if you look at the bottom
diagram of the drawing
I did for my ICom 200 radio and intercom set, the three wires you speak
of for the mic and headset
are shown.
http://www.macsmachine.com/images/electrical/full/primary-wiring-(SH-2).gif

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Quote:
Hi all.

Installing my Icom 200 I have a question.

I have a three wire shielded cable available and I wish to use it for
the microphone and the phones jacks at the same time ,two wire for the
mike and one for the earphone, using the shield for both. Is my
project applicable ? Is there any problem arising with this scheme ?

Thank you for the help.

Luigi

Rome, Italy

n801bh(at)NetZero.com

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I have the Icom 200 too and during the day I wish I would have wired the light to be on all the time to properly see the digits in the display. YMMV
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "bob noffs" <icubob(at)newnorth.net> wrote:
hi all,
bob noffs
[quote]

====================================
c-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tronics.com

[b]

icubob(at)newnorth.net

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: radio light Reply with quote

hi carlos,
my airplane was built to be vfr day or night but i probably wont renew my private lic. when it flies. a night landing in the northern wisconsin woods would probably be the last thing i ever did. you are right about not needing the nav lights but they were cheap enough from aeroflash with the wingtip strobes and it cant hurt to run them. anyway, i think the way to go on the radio lights is to wire them to the same power suply as the radio. thanks to all who replied.
          bob noffs
          woodruff, wi.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: