Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMA EFIS Lite for Yak-55 - oppinions needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilot2874

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: BMA EFIS Lite for Yak-55 - oppinions needed Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a newly minted owner of a Yak-55M and I'm looking to add some navigation capabilities to the aircraft. Originally I though just to buy a nice GPS (Garmin 396) and wire it up to electrical system. But recently I ran the searches for EFIS systems and came accross this one from Blue Montain Avionics:

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences intalling/using this or similar EFIS in Yak-55 aircraft?

Also, how would it compare to the Garmin 396 in terms of ease of use and features.

thanks,
Kirill

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
tamara_b(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: BMA EFIS Lite for Yak-55 - oppinions needed Reply with quote

some of my gyro instruments are
due to be replaced, so I looked into
BMA and DYNON.

The other week on an airshow I had
the chance to see both system at work.

Don't like either of them. I cannot scan
them as quickly as the steam-gauges,
I might need bifocal glasses soon
to encrypt those colorful displays.

If I want to play with a computer, I have
a nice bottle of wine and do it at home.

I prefer the three dimensional appearance
of the original instruments, much easier
to scan and much bigger numbers.

Regards

Elmar (C-FTKL)
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: BMA EFIS Lite for Yak-55 - oppinions needed Reply with quote

[quotesome of my gyro instruments are
due to be replaced, so I looked into
BMA and DYNON.

The other week on an airshow I had
the chance to see both system at work.

Don't like either of them. I cannot scan
them as quickly as the steam-gauges,
I might need bifocal glasses soon
to encrypt those colorful displays.

If I want to play with a computer, I have
a nice bottle of wine and do it at home.

I prefer the three dimensional appearance
of the original instruments, much easier
to scan and much bigger numbers.[/quote]

Having flown a large turbo-prop that was mostly steam guages and then moving to a jet with all glass, I would take glass any day. It takes a little getting used to but them amount of info that can be put in one place reduces pilot workload. Our particular airplane's PFD (Primary Flight Display) can depict nearly 80 pieces of info. We do not fly like that but it is an option. Too much can be too much!

The main reason I would not go glass in these airplanes is because I do not see the need for it. Are you flying hard IFR...or IFR at all? That is the only reason I see for replacing the current instruments. YOu are dealing with a simple airplane with minimal instruments (minimal systems) and I do not see the need to have glass represent simplicity. The cheapest system is around $2500.00! I can think of more things I would spend the $$ on.

In a turbine or more capable airplane, I would go glass. Buzzing aorund the patch..wasted money in my opinion.

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: BMA EFIS Lite for Yak-55 - oppinions needed Reply with quote

I've had a BMA Sport Lite in my CJ for about 3 years. For the most part I am happy with it.

I was use to using "glass" at the airline. The bigger the screen the better, the one reason I did't go to the Dyon. Dyon now has a bigger screen and its price is very nice.

My BMA has a moving map feature but you can not use a the horizon at the same time. The really nasty problem with it is you must disassemble the unit to update the data card. I understand that they have since change this so that the date card is external and has snap in-snap out feature.  Also BMA now have an even larger screen unit where you can split the display with a horizon on top and moving map on bottom. I would prefer to have this unit BUT it will just barely fit in the CJs panel area, so the 55's panel may not be possible at all.

My personal set up is a BMA Sport in the middle. 2 1/4 manifold gage to the left. ILS/VOR head to the right. Under the Sport is T&B with back airspeed on the right and altimeter left. The T&B will soon be replaced with a combination T&B/autopilot with just a simple heading hold function. Above the BMA mounted on the glare shield, is a AVMAP big screen GPS moving map.

Years ago I remember when the big deal in instrument flying was when some study group found that if instruments were arranged in what they called the "Basic T" how much simpler staying up right would be. "Scan rate" and instrument relationship. Then came the "tap gages". I remember a real like or dislike among the airline guys when the L1011 came on line with them. And when glass came out, there were a large number of pilots who remained on the "Jurassic Jets" because they did not trust that "fancy stuff".

I guess "my time is near". I've come full circle. Started out flying airplanes with "steam gages" in no set pattern, all over the place.  Flew the latest glass. And now I back flying a WW2 B-24J that has its original panel set up with steam gages unaligned and all over the place. Yes we fly it IFR and IT IS A CHORE.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: