Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stoped / windmilling propeller drag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
propellerdesign(at)tele2.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have a question from a Polish Pilot, if drag is less or not from a free spinning propeller (engine with clutch) or stopped propeller, when engine is stopped or out, and how much it will do on sink rate?

I think we all agree on the fact that drag is higher if propeller is rotating and driving the engine, then if propeller and engine is stopped.

I can't think about a better place to ask this question then here on this active list with all different engine / prop setup that exists on kitfoxes.

The Polish guy is replacing his VW with a modern BMW with a 2,75/1 reduction on a Tulak airplane.

Best

Jan Carlsson
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
wingsdown(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

For those that would argue differently. If the prop did not create drag in free rotation helicopters could not auto rotate. As far as how much. It take some nerve to test that feature. I never intentionally shut off the engine in flight. There must be some formula to do the math. I did once go beta and full power. That was way different being pulled forward while in the air. Went back to regular flight real quick. Fun though.

Rick
[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

crazyivan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

There are a few guys on this list that like to shut the engine off in flight.

I, on the other hand, am too chicken. What I can offer is the drag difference between different pitches of prop. I had my IvoProp set for a flat (climb) pitch and it was tough to get the prop to spin at 2000rpm at idle on final at 55mph but the drag was noticable. When I had a fatter pitch set for cruise, I had to be careful to keep the rpm above 1800 (gear box chatter) and I had a harder time slowing down...I had to make a flatter approach.

There wasn't a big difference, but it was noticable. If I lost the engine on final, I'm certain that there would be reduced drag from a stationary prop. I'm not sure how much and I ain't gonna find out on purpose unless I'm over the great salt flats.

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

Rick,
Shut off the engine.

Perhaps it helps that I started out as a glider pilot, but I enjoy shutting off the engine and enjoying quiet flight. Sometimes I do it just to show passengers that it is no big deal. Sometimes, like this past Sunday, I do it to work the thermals. The Kitfox does not have a great glide ratio, but that is not what is needed to work thermals. What is needed is a low sink rate – lower than the vertical speed of the thermal. I get about a 500 fpm sink rate at about 63 mph airspeed. That’s not too bad for a starter glider, but a high performance glider can get under 200 fpm.

If your engine is off for a long time, start it early enough so you can warm the engine before you get close to the ground. Usually, unless you are going to do a dead stick landing this will be only 6 – 12 minutes anyway so your engine is still warm.

To get back on topic, with my old prop, I had to slow nearly to full stall to get the engine to stop windmilling. So it was easy to measure sink rate with it windmilling or without. I didn’t test it real carefully, but sink rate was over 600 fpm with the prop windmilling versus 500 with the prop stopped.

With my new prop, I can get the prop to stop windmilling if I just slow to about 55 mph. I haven’t tried to measure windmilling versus stopped.

To start the engine, I just have to bump the starter and it starts right off with the air pushing it.

Try it. You will like it! And it will make you a more confident pilot.

Randy

Randy Daughenbaugh, N10NH
Black Hills of South Dakota, - Near Mount Rushmore
Home Strip, Grass Room in Hangar for visitors
Series 5/7 (7 Firewall Forward) 912S, Warp Drive Taper Tip
Gross Weight 1320 lbs, Flying since November 2004

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:26 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag

For those that would argue differently. If the prop did not create drag in free rotation helicopters could not auto rotate. As far as how much. It take some nerve to test that feature. I never intentionally shut off the engine in flight. There must be some formula to do the math. I did once go beta and full power. That was way different being pulled forward while in the air. Went back to regular flight real quick. Fun though.

Rick
[quote]
--

kirkhull(at)kc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

From the aerodynamics classes that I took ( what I remember of them anyway) a freewheeling prop looks like a solid circle to the air. In other words a lot of drag. As far as stopping the engine in flight , it was removed from the training curriculum for a reason.

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:26 PM
Subject: RE: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag

Rick
[quote]
--

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

I have never done it but this topic came up during the trip to So. Cal. and
the other three pilots had done it and our most experienced pilot said he
guessed it would be 20-30° greater glide. That corresponds pretty well with
Randy's experience.

Lowell Fitt
Cameron Park, CA
Model IV-1200 R-912 UL Warp
1998 850 hrs.
---

N81JG(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

A wind-milling, undriven rotor (no motor drag) is what allows a helicopter to descend in autorotation. A stopped rotor will not allow an autorotation, only descent like a brick. Hence rotating blades have more drag.

John Greaves
VariEze N81JG

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

akflyer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

[quote="N81JG(at)aol.com"]A wind-milling, undriven rotor (no motor drag) is what allows a helicopter to descend in autorotation. A stopped rotor will not allow an autorotation, only descent like a brick. Hence rotating blades have more drag.

John Greaves
VariEze N81JG
Close... In a helicopter, autorotation is possible from the stored energy in the blades. If you can go to negative pitch, you can acutally gain rotor RPM. To auto rotate, you go negative on the pitch and fly with the cyclic as you normaly would. you start you flare a little later than normal and pretty much arrest forward speed then you pull the pitch to gently set her down...all this happens very fast. A huey can store enough energy to autorotate, land then lift off do a complete pedal turn and set back down... if it was empty to begin with..

This is an issue I am wrestling with on my Avid with the clutch.. If I have an engine out, I still fall like a rock with the prop windmilling and cant stop it.

See what's free at AOL.com.
Quote:
[b]

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

Leonard,

Have you actually tried it in your clutch-equipped Avid? I.e, turn off power and let the prop freewheel? If so, please advise as to sink rate and other performance characteristics you experienced. I'd like to know what to expect before I try it myself.

akflyer <akflyer_2000(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

This is an issue I am wrestling with on my Avid with the clutch.. If I have an engine out, I still fall like a rock with the prop windmilling and cant stop it.

--------
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Marco Menezes
Model 2 582 N99KX
Shape Yahoo! in your own image. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48517/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7]Join our Network Research Panel today![/url] [quote][b]

akflyer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

I have not flown the Avid yet as I am still one wing short... But, I have flown my Brothers KF II with the clutch set up. You dont have to kill the engine to get it to free wheel just pull the power back to an idle. With the power at idle and the prop free wheeling, at 55-60 I am dropping around 1000' min. I would hope this would go up if the prop stopped turning.

I have tested it on a cub with the prop windmilling and with the prop stopped. When starting from 6000' and crossing cook inlet, it was a matter of making the far shore and having to slip to hit the beach with the prop stopped, and having to re-start or swim about a mile to mile and a half in real cold water to get to the beach if I let it wind mill.. Until I had tried it I would never have figured it would make that much difference.

I put the clutch on my avid as most of the time I will be dealing with cold weather (rough starts and warm up) and float flying (nice to warm up without moving).

I hope to have mine in the air by the end of the month and will do some testing with fine and coarse pitch and see how much of a difference that makes.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

I've also cut power to idle at altitude in my clutch-equipped model II. In this configuration, I can usually hold the descent rate to about 600 fpm, at 50-55 mph indicated. I suspect that with the engine completely off, it will sink much faster.

akflyer <akflyer_2000(at)yahoo.com> wrote: [quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "akflyer"

I have not flown the Avid yet as I am still one wing short... But, I have flown my Brothers KF II with the clutch set up. You dont have to kill the engine to get it to free wheel just pull the power back to an idle. With the power at idle and the prop free wheeling, at 55-60 I am dropping around 1000' min. I would hope this would go up if the prop stopped turning.

I have tested it on a cub with the prop windmilling and with the prop stopped. When starting from 6000' and crossing cook inlet, it was a matter of making the far shore and having to slip to hit the beach with the prop stopped, and having to re-start or swim about a mile to mile and a half in real cold water to get to the beach if I let it wind mill.. Until I had tried it I would never have figured it would make that much difference.

I put the clutch on my avid as most of the time I will be dealing with cold weather (rough starts and warm up) and float flying (nice to warm up without moving).

I hope to have mine in the air by the end of the month and will do some testing with fine and coarse pitch and see how much of a difference that makes.

--------
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Read this topic online Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222]Comedy with an Edge [/url]to see what's on, when. [quote][b]

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

the conclusion below might not prove out in practice. with the reduced drag of a stationary propeller the 50-55 mph indicated will be attainable at a lesser decent angle.

John Kerr

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------
I've also cut power to idle at altitude in my clutch-equipped model II. In this configuration, I can usually hold the descent rate to about 600 fpm, at 50-55 mph indicated. I suspect that with the engine completely off, it will sink much faster.

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "akflyer"

I have tested it on a cub with the prop windmilling and with the prop stopped. When starting from 6000' and crossing cook inlet, it was a matter of making the far shore and having to slip to hit the beach with the prop stopped, and having to re-start or swim about a mile to mile and a half in real cold water to get to the beach if I let it wind mill.. Until I had tried it I would never have figured it would make that much differen ce.

--------
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Read this topic online Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222]Comedy with an Edge [/url]to see what's on, when.
Quote:

[b]

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

That much sink at that airspeed. Like a Cessna with full flaps. Clint
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:45:35 -0700 (PDT)

I've also cut power to idle at altitude in my clutch-equipped model II. In
this configuration, I can usually hold the descent rate to about 600 fpm, at
50-55 mph indicated. I suspect that with the engine completely off, it will
sink much faster.

"akflyer"

I have not flown the Avid yet as I am still one wing short... But, I have
flown my Brothers KF II with the clutch set up. You dont have to kill the
engine to get it to free wheel just pull the power back to an idle. With the
power at idle and the prop free wheeling, at 55-60 I am dropping around
1000' min. I would hope this would go up if the prop stopped turning.

I have tested it on a cub with the prop windmilling and with the prop
stopped. When starting from 6000' and crossing cook inlet, it was a matter
of making the far shore and having to slip to hit the beach with the prop
stopped, and having to re-start or swim about a mile to mile and a half in
real cold water to get to the beach if I let it wind mill.. Until I had
tried it I would never have figured it would make that much difference.

I put the clutch on my avid as most of the time I will be dealing with cold
weather (rough starts and warm up) and float flying (nice to warm up without
moving).

I hope to have mine in the air by the end of the month and will do some
testing with fine and coarse pitch and see how much of a difference that
makes.

--------
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=115755#115755

Marco Menezes
Model 2 582 N99KX

---------------------------------
Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.

msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag Reply with quote

Pretty draggy. Alot like full flaps on a 172. In fact, I've also used the big fan to steepen glide on short final.

Clint Bazzill <clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.com> wrote: [quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Clint Bazzill"

That much sink at that airspeed. Like a Cessna with full flaps. Clint
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Stoped / windmilling propeller drag
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:45:35 -0700 (PDT)

I've also cut power to idle at altitude in my clutch-equipped model II. In
this configuration, I can usually hold the descent rate to about 600 fpm, at
50-55 mph indicated. I suspect that with the engine completely off, it will
sink much faster.

akflyer wrote: --> Kitfox-List message posted by:
"akflyer"

I have not flown the Avid yet as I am still one wing short... But, I have
flown my Brothers KF II with the clutch set up. You dont have to kill the
engine to get it to free wheel just pull the power back to an idle. With the
power at idle and the prop free wheeling, at 55-60 I am dropping around
1000' min. I would hope this would go up if the prop stopped turning.

I have tested it on a cub with the prop windmilling and with the prop
stopped. When starting from 6000' and crossing cook inlet, it was a matter
of making the far shore and having to slip to hit the beach with the prop
stopped, and having to re-start or swim about a mile to mile and a half in
real cold water to get to the beach if I let it wind mill.. Until I had
tried it I would never have figured it would make that much difference.

I put the clutch on my avid as most of the time I will be dealing with cold
weather (rough starts and warm up) and float flying (nice to warm up without
moving).

I hope to have mine in the air by the end of the month and will do some
testing with fine and coarse pitch and see how much of a difference that
makes.

--------
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=115755#115755

Marco Menezes
Model 2 582 N99KX

---------------------------------
Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.

Live Hotmail. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48250/*http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v9.php?o=US2226&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=AprNI&s=Y&s2=EM&b=50]Pinpoint customers [/url]who are looking for what you sell. [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: