Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to rivet rear fuselage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

We are up to 6-B-11B fuselage assembly which talks about taking the fuselage assembly off the bench and on to stands, to make it easier to work on.

My question is at what stage do you rivet the rear fuselage. The picture guides show that some pictures are riveted and some are still clecos.

I am thinking that I would want all the aft area tight and locked in with rivets before I took it off the bench??

over to you fellow builders..
Chris..

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Michael Valentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Chris - I am pretty much at the same point. I riveted the rear fuse (except the front of the longerons and the most forward two L-stiffeners) before I moved on to the firewall. So, at the same stage you are at, I have a riveted rear fuse, a riveted firewall, and an unriveted cabin floor. Unfortunately, because we are at the same stage I can't tell you if this will be a problem later! I will note that my version of the guide said to rivet the rear fuse and other builders have told me they pretty much riveted when they ran out of clecoes.

Michael in NH

do not archive

On 6/2/07, chris Sinfield <chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au (chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au)> wrote: [quote]--> Zenith-List message posted by: "chris Sinfield" < chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au (chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au)>

We are up to 6-B-11B fuselage assembly which talks about taking the fuselage assembly off the bench and on to stands, to make it easier to work on.

My question is at what stage do you rivet the rear fuselage. The picture guides show that some pictures are riveted and some are still clecos.

I am thinking that I would want all the aft area tight and locked in with rivets before I took it off the bench??

over to you fellow builders..
Chris..

Read this topic online here:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Go ahead and rivet except for anything on the upper longeron, the Z-angle on the forward end of the access hole (due to the step fairing) and the two most forward vertical L-angles (due to the baggage deck and step fairing). You will need to free up cleco's because the rest of the fuselage will get almost all the way built-up before you can think about riveting it.

Good luck!

naumuk(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Chris-
When I was at Brampford a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy (I
believe his name was Mike) who built his entire plane in clecos in the
basement, tore everything apart to get it out, then riveted. Guess you can
theoretically wait forever.
Best compromise I've heard of is to put in just enough rivets to
stabilize the individual parts. If you know you're going to have to take
them out later on, put them in upside down for easy identification.
Bill Naumuk
HDS Fuse/Corvair
Townville, Pa
---

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Also, if you have a squeezer and dimple dies, set 4 - 6 flush-set A4 tack rivets on each side to hold the rear side skins to the top longerons. It really helps keep things trued up the way they were when rivetted.

Dred
[quote][b]

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

I riveted my 601 XL basically from both ends towards the center and from
the bottom up. Leaving the turtle deck and the side skin overlap for last
without any problems.
My front top skin is removable nutplated #8 w countersunk machine screw
heads. This is a huge advantage during the wiring and troubleshooting phase
later.
Gary Ray

wjones(at)brazoriainet.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Hello group ,I am at the stage where I am ready to take my fuselage off the table and put it on the saw horse .I have completed all the riveting with the exception of the top skins .The reason I did not take it off the table sooner was that I believe I had better control keeping it straight and level while riveting .My next move is to the saw horse ,then slide my spars into the center section spar to see if all fits well. leaving it on the table helps to alien all the parts but many times I was having to stand on a box to reach inside even at 6' tall . So far this has worked for me .DO NOT ARCHIVE
Wade Jones South Texas
601XL plans building
Cont. 0200
[quote] ---

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: When to rivet rear fuselage Reply with quote

Wade,

I did the same thing and kept my fuselage on a table the whole time. It was a pain to access the bottom to drill, but it can be done with some extra thinking and planning involved. I am now ready to take mine off and get it on the gear. Building it per the plans with saw horses is probably the way to go, but I had been using my table to store parts and tools due to my limited space. I could not disperse those items to build on saw horses so I stuck with the table.

Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: