Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lightening hole dies..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lo2u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: lightening hole dies.. Reply with quote

I am in need of the three dies or someone to make them for me at a price. I don't mind owning,buying or renting with deposit. I have the little jig with the wheels but can't seem to make the thing work well enough or quick enough..
Thanks,
Ron Culver
701 Scratch builder
e-mail addy available on request
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
dfmoeller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: lightening hole dies.. Reply with quote

I feel your pain.

That thingy with the wheels does a crappy job on unflanged parts; I found that its actual use is to tweak curvature induced by the flanging process out of the part after the flange is formed. At this task, it works like a dream!

I screwed around with synthetic decking (doesn't actually come wide enough to do the 115 hole and isn't flat either), and finally made a set out of high quality plywood using a sandwich technique and a router table. This solution turned out to work the best. After flanging two wings worth, the only wear they show is on the back side from the clamps and vise.

The key to making ANY flanging die set work is to ensure that the small end of the male die JUST clears the deburred hole that you make in your parts. If you are thinking in terms of the raw hole, the deburring process will remove enough material that the male die will no longer fit correctly. Zenith specs the fit at +/- 3 mm, but that will produce flanges that are wayyyy offset. That may be all thats required structurally, but you won't want anyone to see your work at the airport when you are done! Any slop at all results in horrible looking offset on the finished flange. So, the thing to do is to measure your deburred hole size and make the dies to match that number.

I also found that the noise on this forum about the need for hydraulic presses is overkill. So is using a car to provide the pressure. A simple 4 inch vise with 1 extra 4 or 5 inch C-clamp, or even just 2 or 3 C-clamps, will easily provide all the pressure you would ever need. I even experimented with the dead-blow hammer technique - that worked fine too.

I was in the process of writing some instructions on how to construct these dies, and even toying with making some extra sets for others. I'm going to try to attach a picture. How much do you think a set would be worth? No promises, they can be a pain to do (cutting out the blanks for the 115 set is not easy - I wound up buying a wheel cutter - like a flycutter, but opposite), but maybe..... I would sell my set, but I'm in the middle of the wing-building process and I may need to make some replacement parts before its over.
Doug

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

100_1679 small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.83 KB
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

100_1679 small.jpg

gboothe5(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: lightening hole dies.. Reply with quote

Ron,

I have 3 home-made wood dies that you are welcomed to borrow. My wings are done and I am mired in the center section, so it will be awhile before I need them back for the fuse.

Gary Boothe
Cool, CA
601 HDSTD, WW Conversion 90% done,
Tail done, wings done, working on c-section

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ron Culver
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:08 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: lightening hole dies..

I am in need of the three dies or someone to make them for me at a price. I don't mind owning,buying or renting with deposit. I have the little jig with the wheels but can't seem to make the thing work well enough or quick enough..

Thanks,

Ron Culver

701 Scratch builder

e-mail addy available on request
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

lo2u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: lightening hole dies.. Reply with quote

Gary,
That would be great but I insist on renting not borrowing and also figure out a deposit ..my e-mail is rculver(at)nycap.rr.com (rculver(at)nycap.rr.com) .
Thanks,
Ron
[quote] ---

lo2u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: lightening hole dies.. Reply with quote

Thanks Doug but I really dont want to have to farbricate them myself. I will
be in contact with Gary. If for some unforseen reason this doesn't work out
I could wait until you are finished with your wings etc. but at 72 I really
can't tarry too long..heh..
Best,
Ron
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: