Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally, I flew my airplane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Dillfamily(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Finally, I flew my airplane Reply with quote

Until recently, my aircraft insurance had a make and model clause that, in practice, would have restricted me to 2 hours of instruction in my own airplane, and that had to wait until somebody else flew 5 hours in it due to phase 1 restrictions in its airworthiness certificate. This contributed to a quagmire that kept me from flying it myself for the last six months. Within the last two weeks, I was successful in convincing my insurance company to include similar models and all I had to do was shake the bushes for somebody willing and able to instruct in a different aircraft. On Jul 9th I took a direct flight to San Jose, CA to take some instruction in a Kitfox IV from Roger Standley, one of the few people I found with a waiver to instruct commercially in an Kitfox. I logged 14 landings and caught the mid-day flight back. With the instruction, I now met the insurance requirements to fly my own airplane, which I did twice on the next day.
The airplane flew well with regard to rigging and each flight was about an hour. The flap handle needs adjusting. It needs a forward stop to prevent selecting too much in that direction where the effect is diminished roll rate and nose up pitch. It also needs a tightened or redesigned friction lock because it does not always stay where it is put.
The winds were light, but the temperature was extremely hot and I had to run the heater to keep the engine temp under control and pattern work was not possible. I basically hovered above Brainard airport and landed each time on the sod. I changed spark plugs between flights because of an occasional skip in the engine. This left the engine running strong for the second takeoff, but by the end of the flight, the skip was back. Right now I am suspecting fouling due to running 100LL but remain open to suggestions about other causes.
I am happy to have it in the air. I knew it would be slow and it didn't let me down. It was the worst performing Kitfox I have been in so far, even compared to the Model I with the same engine. My indicated airspeed was less than 70 MPH at 5800 rpm. I suppose the airspeed indicator could be out of whack, but that would be wishful thinking. Maybe I should sell half to somebody who want to log lots of time! Next time I will take my GPS to compare.

Thanks to all who helped me get to this point,
Jeff Dill
N767JD, Rebuilt Model II/582

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Finally, I flew my airplane Reply with quote

Hi Jeff, good to hear you were able to finally fly your plane. I read that
you were flying over Brainard airport, is that the Brainard in Minnesota?
If so, I live up in Chisholm, less than 100 miles NE of you. What were your
EGT temps on your plane durring flight? It sounds like you were running
real rich. Were the plugs real black when you took them out? If it is
jetted for winter time it woould be rich especially on a hot day. Well have
fun with it, on another note, I picked up my Jabiru 2200 CC engine monday
evening. It's the first time I've seen one up close, and boy what a work of
art. If it flys as nice as it looks, it will really be something.
Jim Chuk
Avid Mk IV 582 (for now)
Chisholm Mn
Quote:
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To: <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Finally, I flew my airplane
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:27:13 -0400

Until recently, my aircraft insurance had a make and model clause
that, in practice, would have restricted me to 2 hours of instruction in my
own airplane, and that had to wait until somebody else flew 5 hours in it
due to phase 1 restrictions in its airworthiness certificate. This
contributed to a quagmire that kept me from flying it myself for the last
six months. Within the last two weeks, I was successful in convincing my
insurance company to include similar models and all I had to do was shake
the bushes for somebody willing and able to instruct in a different
aircraft. On Jul 9th I took a direct flight to San Jose, CA to take some
instruction in a Kitfox IV from Roger Standley, one of the few people I
found with a waiver to instruct commercially in an Kitfox. I logged 14
landings and caught the mid-day flight back. With the instruction, I now
met the insurance requirements to fly my own airplane, which I did twice on
the next day.
The airplane flew well with regard to rigging and each flight was
about an hour. The flap handle needs adjusting. It needs a forward stop to
prevent selecting too much in that direction where the effect is diminished
roll rate and nose up pitch. It also needs a tightened or redesigned
friction lock because it does not always stay where it is put.
The winds were light, but the temperature was extremely hot and I had
to run the heater to keep the engine temp under control and pattern work
was not possible. I basically hovered above Brainard airport and landed
each time on the sod. I changed spark plugs between flights because of an
occasional skip in the engine. This left the engine running strong for the
second takeoff, but by the end of the flight, the skip was back. Right now
I am suspecting fouling due to running 100LL but remain open to suggestions
about other causes.
I am happy to have it in the air. I knew it would be slow and it
didn't let me down. It was the worst performing Kitfox I have been in so
far, even compared to the Model I with the same engine. My indicated
airspeed was less than 70 MPH at 5800 rpm. I suppose the airspeed indicator
could be out of whack, but that would be wishful thinking. Maybe I should
sell half to somebody who want to log lots of time! Next time I will take
my GPS to compare.

Thanks to all who helped me get to this point,
Jeff Dill
N767JD, Rebuilt Model II/582

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Finally, I flew my airplane Reply with quote

At 12:27 AM 7/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9th I took a direct flight to San Jose, CA to take some instruction in a Kitfox IV from Roger Standley, one of the few people I found with a waiver to instruct commercially in an Kitfox. I logged 14 landings and caught the mid-day flight back. With the instruction, I now met the insurance requirements to fly my own airplane, which I did twice on the next day.

This is great news. Roger will probably get some business out of this as it's a continuing problem. And congratulations on your first flights!

Quote:
The airplane flew well with regard to rigging and each flight was about an hour. The flap handle needs adjusting. It needs a forward stop to prevent selecting too much in that direction where the effect is diminished roll rate and nose up pitch.

I use this mode sometimes to increase my descent rate. Of course I have a trim tab on the elevator to counteract the pitch effect.

Quote:
It also needs a tightened or redesigned friction lock because it does not always stay where it is put.

I had to tighten mine twice in the first few months. Now it seems to stay tight.

Quote:
The winds were light, but the temperature was extremely hot and I had to run the heater to keep the engine temp under control and pattern work was not possible. I basically hovered above Brainard airport and landed each time on the sod.

I had to lower my radiator 1" to get enough cooling on the ground to handle a 95F day. One I'm airborne I can handle about 105F, though I have to be careful with the power and climb at 70 MIAS, minimum.

Quote:
I changed spark plugs between flights because of an occasional skip in the engine. This left the engine running strong for the second takeoff, but by the end of the flight, the skip was back. Right now I am suspecting fouling due to running 100LL but remain open to suggestions about other causes.

What did the spark plugs look like? I've run 100LL exclusively and have had no plug problems. I use Decalin lead scavenger, but am not religious about it.

Quote:
I am happy to have it in the air. I knew it would be slow and it didn't let me down. It was the worst performing Kitfox I have been in so far, even compared to the Model I with the same engine. My indicated airspeed was less than 70 MPH at 5800 rpm. I suppose the airspeed indicator could be out of whack, but that would be wishful thinking. Maybe I should sell half to somebody who want to log lots of time! Next time I will take my GPS to compare.

Well you didn't expect it to be fast, did you? Wink Get your GPS up and then worry about the speed. My ASI is about 10% slow, but no matter what, you're going slow. That's what Kitfoxes are for. (Or, if I wanted to go fast, I'd have built a Sonex / Pulsar / Dragonfly, etc.)

Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar. [quote][b]

pulsair(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Finally, I flew my airplane Reply with quote

Jeff,
Use a TCP additive if you are going to burn 100LL. Jeff Columbus Ohio Classic IV
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: