Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZAC Pneumatic Riveter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfmoeller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

I just received the ZAC pneumatic riveter and am having some troubles. The unit want to slip down the mandrel on the initial pull. Following that, the mandrel is locked in place in the slipped position, and I have to cut the rivet off and take the unit partially apart to punch the mandrel out of the jaws.

I did a search on previous messages regarding the riveter and found that the prevailing advice deals with mucked up innards keeping the riveter jaws from grabbing the mandrel. In those cases, the advice is to give it a couple drops of oil and that seems to cure that problem. I'm having a similar problem, but this one is brand new and squeaky clean.

I've placed a couple drops of marvel mystery oil in the unit. I've not installed the handle regulator as I wanted to get a feel for the required pressure at the compressor gauge before I installed the handle regulator. I've tried all different air pressures. It was working on a few practice rivets yesterday, but now, this evening, all it wants to do is slip on the initial pull.

Anybody else have a problem on the initial pull like this? What am I doing wrong?

Doug

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
klr12(at)psu.edu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

Doug,
I had similar problems with mine. In my case, 1 of the 2 little wedge
shaped grippers (jaws) inside the nose piece had broken. I had an old
Craftsman hand riveter laying around so I cannibalized it for the
grippers and put them in the new riveter. That solved my problem.

Kevin R.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rstone4(at)hot.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

If the Pneumatic riveter came with your kit from Zenith and does not
work properly, why not just return it to them for a replacement. If I
remember right the riveter I received with my XL kit was a little over
$80.00 and should work right.

Tracy Stone

---

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

Doug. I am on my 5th Riveter. I used up 3 over the years from JC Whitney (at) $59.00 each. Finally I bought a good one from Grainger for $220.00 (Dayton brand) That lasted about the same time. I went back to the cheap ones. Currently I have Harbor Freight's Cheap model, regularly about $50. I got it on sale for $29. When it This one might see me through whats left to do.....Geoff

n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

I've built two airplanes using Central Pneumatic riveter from Harbor
Freight, I think (not sure) I might have oiled it once ... It's still going
strong. Which is a great deal, because I only paid like $30-40 for it.

I ground my own tips for the ZAC rivet head, otherwise I don't do
anything to care for it, plus I have dropped it numerous times on
the hard concrete floor in my shop.

Jeff.

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

Where were you when I needed you Jeff......Geoff
do not archive

n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ZAC Pneumatic Riveter Reply with quote

When I started on airplane one, I bought everything known to man
that cost a lot of money. Smile Including a couple welding rigs, a Mill, a
Lathe, etc.

Some of the cheap stuff is best.

Worst investment - Axis Citation HVLP Spray System. My Harbor Freight
El-Cheapo is a much better shooter.

Best Investment ever - My Grizzly 14" Ultimate Bandsaw. I put a bi-metal
blade on it and made everything from bunk beds for the kids, to parts for
the plane with it.

Biggest waste of time - Building a spray booth. By the time I finished spraying, I discovered that a good weather day with the doors wide open
was the best. The occasional dust nib is easily rubbed out anyway. A
still early morning out in tha backyard with saw horses will likely yield
every bit as good a results as an industrial spray booth.

Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: