Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwinger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

Jay,

Couldn't have said it better. If 152/172 drivers are the caddies in his aviation country club, I guess we're the guys who mow the greens and fix the sprinklers.

Imagine what Collins would have written about the LSA category if he had figured out that some of us get pulled through the air with auto conversion engines (horror of horrors)!

Larry Winger
Tustin, CA
Scratch-built 601XL/Corvair
Control surfaces and wing spars complete

On 6/13/07, Jaybannist(at)cs.com (Jaybannist(at)cs.com) <Jaybannist(at)cs.com (Jaybannist(at)cs.com)> wrote: [quote]Please read the attached pdf.

Guess this suggests that I've been "stuck on stupid" for a long time!

Jay in Dallas

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

Installing fuel system
www.mykitlog.com/lwinger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

was anyone else able to see the PDF attachment? I could not.

do not archive

Larry Winger <larrywinger(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote] Jay,

Couldn't have said it better. If 152/172 drivers are the caddies in his aviation country club, I guess we're the guys who mow the greens and fix the sprinklers.

Imagine what Collins would have written about the LSA category if he had figured out that some of us get pulled through the air with auto conversion engines (horror of horrors)!

Larry Winger
Tustin, CA

On 6/13/07, [b]Be a better Heartthrob. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433]Get better relationship answers [/url]from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lwinger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

It was a copy of his letter to the editor. For your convenience, here it is:

"I have been a Flying reader for a long, long time. I want to address the July, 2007 issue and specifically "On Top." Apparently, Richard Collins was assigned to write a piece about a segment of aviation that he has absolutely no use for: Light Sport. I have never read a more condescending and disdainful appraisal of an entire segment of aviation than this one. Richard Collins, nose in the air, totally dismissed the validity of Light Sport aviation, the airplanes in this category and its proponents and pilots.

With this article, Flying Magazine has succinctly defined who is NOT a part of their readership. I am solidly in that category. Thanks for letting me and my kind know where we stand."

Jay Bannister, Dallas, Texas

Do not archive.

On 6/13/07, David Downey <planecrazydld(at)yahoo.com (planecrazydld(at)yahoo.com)> wrote: [quote] was anyone else able to see the PDF attachment? I could not.

do not archive

Larry Winger <larrywinger(at)gmail.com (larrywinger(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Jay,

Larry Winger
Tustin, CA

On 6/13/07, Be a better Heartthrob. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433] Get better relationship answers [/url]from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
Quote:
[b]
[/b]
[b]

Installing fuel system
www.mykitlog.com/lwinger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elwood140(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

Collins struck a nerve. I have never read such opinionated drivel. Is he one of us? I mean us folks who defy gravity once in a while just for fun. What a blowhard. My Flying subscription is about to run out. I guess I'll let it.

Do Not Archive

Larry Wood

N701LW reserved

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

sperry50(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

It makes me wonder if he has ever flown in a basic ultra-light "just for the fun of flying". Hell, that feeling of leaving Mother Earth and being in control cannot be described.

I can see where he may be coming from though. I am a professional musician and people will tell me if they could play the way I do they would do it all the time. I remember (a long time ago) when I played just for the fun of it, but after it started bringing in money every time I sat down at the piano I thought about all the stuff I needed to learn and "playing the piano" took on a different light.

Now that I am an "old fart" and play when I choose, I get more satisfaction from playing what makes me happy and I can now sit and play without thinking of "the job". Perhaps being a professional pilot makes you think of flying in the same way. What a sad thought.

Just a thought as I do cocktail hour and contemplate my next move!

Skip Perry
Fort Myers, Fl
601XL (3/4 of the way there)

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------
Collins struck a nerve. I have never read such opinionated drivel. Is he one of us? I mean us folks who defy gravity once in a while just for fun. What a blowhard. My Flying subscription is about to run out. I guess I'll let it.

Do Not Archive

Larry Wood

N701LW reserved

See what's free at AOL.com.
Quote:

[b]

planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

thanks! do not archive

Larry Winger <larrywinger(at)gmail.com> wrote:[quote] It was a copy of his letter to the editor. For your convenience, here it is:

"I have been a Flying reader for a long, long time. I want to address the July, 2007 issue and specifically "On Top." Apparently, Richard Collins was assigned to write a piece about a segment of aviation that he has absolutely no use for: Light Sport. I have never read a more condescending and disdainful appraisal of an entire segment of aviation than this one. Richard Collins, nose in the air, totally dismissed the validity of Light Sport aviation, the airplanes in this category and its proponents and pilots.

With this article, Flying Magazine has succinctly defined who is NOT a part of their readership. I am solidly in that category. Thanks for letting me and my kind know where we stand."

Do not archive.

On 6/13/07, David Downey <planecrazydld(at)yahoo.com (planecrazydld(at)yahoo.com)> wrote: [quote] was anyone else able to see the PDF attachment? I could not.

do not archive

Larry Winger <larrywinger(at)gmail.com (larrywinger(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Jay,

Larry Winger
Tustin, CA

On 6/13/07, [b]Be a better Heartthrob. Get better Looking for earth-friendly autos?
Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center. [quote][b]

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Gentlemen, gentlemen, please....let's be patient. Richard Collins works for an aviation magazine, and thus gets to fly a lot of stuff for free, for reduced prices, or as an invited guest. He also hasn't busted a physical, and had to fight his way through all the hoops to get his Special Issuance (good for the remaining time between the date of his physical and the date they liesurely decide to let him fly again.) There will come a day when: A) He no longer enjoys the fourth estate's perks, and has to pay for all his flying, B) He has to plead, beg, grovel and whine at the feet of some bureaucrat in OKC for an SI, and C) Suddenly finds his top-of-the-world erstwhile flying buddies can't remember who he used to be. The day after these three come to pass, our good Mr. Collins will come to love LSA, assuming LSA will choose to not remember his previous viewpoint. Remember-----------The mills of the gods,.............OR, as was once said, "Be nice to people on the way up, 'cause you will most assuredly meet them again on the way down."

Paul Rodriguez
601 XL/Corvair

DO NOT ARCHIVE
[quote] ---

hrs1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: On Top Reply with quote

Hey guys . . . let's cut Collins a little slack. He's a very talented
guy and knows his way professionally around the storms and clouds. I
wish I could fly IFR as well as him. When one gets the best of
equipment to fly, anything less is bound to solicit some minor
criticism. If you're used to driving Lexuses and switch to a single
drive in a small Susuki, you're bound to be a little discontented with
the product. I remember in my homebuilding career when someone asked me
a question like "if this was your first home . . ." I honestly had to
tell him I couldn't objectively answer his question because my 25 years
of experience didn't allow me to give an opinion as would someone new to
building. Let Mr. Collins fly along with his head in the clouds -
someday as someone earlier pointed out he will come to appreciate LSA if
he's a real pilot. Remember the Flying mag column that Baxter wrote?
Eventually he could only be a passenger in a plane because of medical
problems. What goes up comes down. Robert Schoenberger 701

2thesky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: On Top Reply with quote

I haven't read Flying for a long time. I quit because I missed Gordon Baxter. There was a guy who loved flying without the snobbery. A while back, someone bought me a gift subscription to Flying, after not picking one up for about 5 years or so. I think I have six around the house now. Every one of them has a jet on the cover and has articles about planes that I wouldn't want even if I did have the money to buy and operate one. I think the latest issue has an article with a jet and a luxury car that cost more than any plane I want. I can't figure out why any one is surprised the folks over at Flying has no use for LSA. I have sensed a pretentious attitude in that magazine for years. I wouldn't trade my SportPilot or Sport Aviation subscriptions for one from Flying any day. I can't even make it through a FLying magazined anymore. I do like how Collins said that a Zodiac performs like a C-150. I guess it has been too many decades since Collins sat his geriatric butt in a 150. Maybe the Zodiac is closer to the 150 when powered with an 0-200, but even at gross, I think the 150 is three hundred or so lbs. heavier. Logic should tell you which plane will perform better. I remember last year at the Open hangar day watching a C-172 take off in front of a Zodiac. I don't need an ancient, dust farting, aviation writer who flies around a pressurized 210 with a turbo to tell me that the part of flying I love most doesn't matter!

He also hasn't taken into account the guys who may be operating as sport pilots, and guys who do not plan on taking their next physical and becoming sport pilots. As I said, it is no surprise to me that Flying can't find room between articles about mutli-million dollar biz-jets to find time for us "have nots" who might just be as happy with a few trips around the patch in a J-3.

ashontz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: On Top Reply with quote

I'm surprised anyone here reads that rag. THe whole thing seems to assume that all pilots are blowhard millionaires. I just have to laugh when I see that rag at Barnes and Nobles with a cover story the Likes of "Finally, and afforable 6 passenger tubo prop for the average joe: A steal at only $850,000!!!"

[quote="lwinger"]It was a copy of his letter to the editor. For your convenience, here it is:

Do not archive.

On 6/13/07, David Downey <planecrazydld> wrote:
Quote:
was anyone else able to see the PDF attachment? I could not.

do not archive

Larry Winger <larrywinger> wrote:
Quote:
Jay,

Larry Winger
Tustin, CA

On 6/13/07, Be a better Heartthrob. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433] Get better relationship answers [/url]from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
Quote:
[b]
[/b]
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: