Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

condition inspection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuskid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

I'm a newbie so pardon the basic question bu if one buys a flying a/c I understand they have to have an A&P annually do a condition inspection since they don't have the repairman's certificate.

Is it a good assumption that any A&P can do this on a Lightning? Typically how much do A&Ps charge for this service?

Just thinking ahead.

Thanks,

John

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
flying(at)qdea.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

Yes, an experimental must have an annual condition inspection, which
can be done by the builder if he has a Repairman's Certificate for
the aircraft he built, or any A&P.

The cost for the condition inspection will vary by the individual
doing it, from $150 to probably $500.

Hugh Sontag

Quote:

I'm a newbie so pardon the basic question bu if one buys a flying
a/c I understand they have to have an A&P annually do a condition
inspection since they don't have the repairman's certificate.

Is it a good assumption that any A&P can do this on a Lightning?
Typically how much do A&Ps charge for this service?

Just thinking ahead.

Thanks,

John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

deuskid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: condition inspection Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but I'm surprised.

I was told by a guy that does canards to expect over a $1,000 and by a guy that does RVs $700-!,000.

If Condition Inspections are that expensive it would be a costly fixed cost over the years of ownership and make me reconsider and build rather than buying.

John

sales(at)billandruth.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

It cost me $1,420 for my annual inspection this year and I had only 30 hours on the 1979 Turbo Dakota since the last annual! It is why I sold the aircraft and will be building. The high cost of certified aircraft parts, fuel (12 gph at over $4.00 a gallon) and insurance certainly contributed to my decision. I will never own a certified aircraft again as you are at the mercy of the market and fees and costs will only go up over time. Until you experience the financial pain certified ownership can bring, unless you have very deep pockets, you cannot imagine how easily it destroys the desire to go flying! I believe that is why the experimental and LSA categories will only attract more and more pilots over time. Hope this helps.......Bill.

deuskid wrote: [quote]
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "deuskid" <empire.john(at)gmail.com> (empire.john(at)gmail.com)

I was told by a guy that does canards to expect over a $1,000 and by a guy that does RVs $700-!,000.

If Condition Inspections are that expensive it would be a costly fixed cost over the years of ownership and make me reconsider and build rather than buying.

John

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=128061#128061

[b]

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/8/2007 8:01:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

This sounds a bit like a misinformed A&P. The standards are lower for mechanic accountability and for required actions on a condition inspection rather than an ANNUAL inspection. For example, there are no AD's to check, since they dont exist for homebuilts! (unless you use a certified engine and prop). Also, anyone can work on the plane to prepare it for inspection. ETC.

The other possiblity is that said A&P was and AI. The followup question should be "How much do you charge for Certified airplanes?" We had some local mechanics that were astronomical for annual inspections for GA planes.

Yet another thought is that $1,000 a year is not that bad if the mechanic does it all. If you change oil, check instrument and avionics calibration, remove the wheels, dismount the tires, clean and pack the wheel bearings, replace the brake linings, install new brake fluid, change all fluid filters.....all the stuff you are supposed to do, parts could cost $300 and could take a number of hours to perform.

I do agree with your conclusion, however, that it is better to build than to buy.

Doug Koenigsberg

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.
[quote][b]

deuskid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: condition inspection Reply with quote

[quote="Kayberg(at)aol.com"]In a message dated 8/8/2007 8:01:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

This sounds a bit like a misinformed A&P. The standards are lower for mechanic accountability and for required actions on a condition inspection rather than an ANNUAL inspection. For example, there are no AD's to check, since they dont exist for homebuilts! (unless you use a certified engine and prop). Also, anyone can work on the plane to prepare it for inspection. ETC.

The other possiblity is that said A&P was and AI. The followup question should be "How much do you charge for Certified airplanes?" We had some local mechanics that were astronomical for annual inspections for GA planes.

Yet another thought is that $1,000 a year is not that bad if the mechanic does it all. If you change oil, check instrument and avionics calibration, remove the wheels, dismount the tires, clean and pack the wheel bearings, replace the brake linings, install new brake fluid, change all fluid filters.....all the stuff you are supposed to do, parts could cost $300 and could take a number of hours to perform.

I do agree with your conclusion, however, that it is better to build than to buy.

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:
[b]

Actually this is from 2 A&Ps from 2 different forums [Canardavaition and VAF]. On VAF they guy told me he charges around 750 and cited another name that charges $1,000 [both specifically for RVs and both are EAA counselors and DARs]. The canard guy actually said 2-3k for the initial condition inspection [~40 hours (at) $75/hr] and then something north of $1k after that.

What have been your personal experiences?

thanks

John

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/9/2007 9:49:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:
[b]

Actually this is from 2 A&Ps from 2 different forums [Canardavaition and VAF]. On VAF they guy told me he charges around 750 and cited another name that charges $1,000 [both specifically for RVs and both are EAA counselors and DARs]. The canard guy actually said 2-3k for the initial condition inspection [~40 hours (at) $75/hr] and then something north of $1k after that.

thanks

John

Most of my personal experiences are vicarious. My conclusion, however, is that certified mechanics are not a monolitic bunch.

We had an A & P who would come to Green Landings and do annual condition inspections of ultra-light type, (Rans, SkyRanger) planes in about an hour and charged $300-400, if he could see all the fittings. He took the owner's word about the engine condition and the wheel bearings.   He was very highly experienced, both as a mechanic and pilot ( former airlines). He flew in, inspected a couple planes, gave a couple BFR's and left. He was a bit sloppy, but cheap.

You mention a couple cases above. I have heard that of that type also. To spend 40 hours doing a condition inspection on a Rutan type canard is just anal. Especially if it has been flying. However, it is not a bad idea to have that anal guy do your plane once every 5 years or so just for peace of mind. If he says it is airworthy after 40 hours of work; it probably is!

One other consideration is your own mechanical expertise. If you built a plane, you should be able to inspect it. If you have NEVER built a plane, or overhauled a car engine, welded, assembled something other than a bicycle, then a good inspector is worth whatever. If you already know everything about your plane, then to pay $ to have someone inspect what you already know to be correct, is annoying.

The DAR we use at Green Landings told me about a recent airworthyness he did for an engineer-type. The builder acted like it was an insult that such an inspection should be performed. The DAR checked what he wanted anyway and got to a fuel system check. "Turn on the boost pump" he told the owner. "Now come and look" he said. A fitting in the fuel system was loose and a fine mist of fuel was spraying directly on the exhaust pipe! "This is why we do inspections!" said my DAR to the builder.

doug

deuskid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: condition inspection Reply with quote

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM wrote:
In a message dated 8/9/2007 9:49:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:
[b]

thanks

John

Most of my personal experiences are vicarious. My conclusion, however, is that certified mechanics are not a monolitic bunch.

<snip>
One other consideration is your own mechanical expertise. If you built a plane, you should be able to inspect it. If you have NEVER built a plane, or overhauled a car engine, welded, assembled something other than a bicycle, then a good inspector is worth whatever. If you already know everything about your plane, then to pay $ to have someone inspect what you already know to be correct, is annoying.

<snip> The DAR checked what he wanted anyway and got to a fuel system check. "Turn on the boost pump" he told the owner. "Now come and look" he said. A fitting in the fuel system was loose and a fine mist of fuel was spraying directly on the exhaust pipe! "This is why we do inspections!" said my DAR to the builder.

doug

Thanks Doug.

I have significant auto mechanical experience and aptitude.

I was weighing buying an experimental v. building when this issue arose. I snipped your message for space sake but everything you said had value - thank you.

I can see having another set of eyes on one's a/c would be wise. I was just surprised at the large amounts quoted by the few replies in the other forums.

IF an condition inspection is > $1k each year and is avoidable by building the a/c oneself then it is an meaningful input in the buy/build decision process.

John

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: condition inspection Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/11/2007 7:54:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Thanks Doug.

I have significant auto mechanical experience and aptitude.

I was weighing buying an experimental v. building when this issue arose. I snipped your message for space sake but everything you said had value - thank you.

I can see having another set of eyes on one's a/c would be wise. I was just surprised at the large amounts quoted by the few replies in the other forums.

IF an condition inspection is > $1k each year and is avoidable by building the a/c oneself then it is an meaningful input in the buy/build decision process.

John

John,

There is no question that the Lightning is the best value on the market today for 1) price 2)performance 3) ease of building (particularly at a build center) 4) economy.

There is financing available, a quickly growing body of experience, sound construction and trustworthy people who run things. Actually the people are more important than the airplane, but that is another thread.

At Green Landings, we are proud to represent the two very best kitplanes in their respective worlds; The Sky Ranger and the Lightning.

By the time you have built one you will confidently do your own inspections, and since you will probably keep it til you die, the whole question of "condition inspections" is moot.

Sorry about the commercial, my emotions are a bit ragged today.

doug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: