Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground School DVD's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Does anyone out there, have the King Private Pilot Knowledge Test DVD's that they want to sell, rent, lend etc. I have to pass the test before I can solo. I hate to buy something that I will probably only use once. If you can help, let me know. I need to get studying.  This is what my instructor wants me to study.

Larry Husky
601XL \ Corvair
Just finished moving
Time to build again!

lcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982" href="http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982" target="_blank">AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
psm(at)ATT.NET

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

I don't have the DVDs you want, so don't let my message get you excited. I just want to comment on the training requirement you face.

I was fortunate to be at a college with Air Force ROTC when I was working on getting my private license way back in the 1960's. That allowed me to sign up for the Private Pilot Ground School as a college class. Not only did I get college credit for the "Free" class which ran a full semester, but it was taught by a senior Air Force pilot who really knew his stuff and enjoyed teaching it too. Perhaps the King DVD set is the best alternative available to you for the same training.

My reaction to an instructor who insists I pass the written test before solo would be to say "Thank you for all your help" and immediately find another instructor. This is (in my opinion) an outrageous requirement. You don't need all the information from the ground school to be safe for solo flight. Indeed, I think some of the lessons would be more interesting and easy to understand after you are in the situation where you might encounter actual flights involving the information studied. You really don't need to know all the ins and outs of airport light systems, chart reading, radio navigation, and weather systems to do circuits and bumps in the traffic pattern.

I don't think it would hurt any student to do the whole ground school before any flight. Also, I don't think it would be a problem to complete the ground school after achieving the skills needed for solo flight and local practice flying.

Just my opinion.

Paul
XL fuselage
do not archive

At 10:35 PM 8/5/2007, you wrote:
[quote]Does anyone out there, have the King Private Pilot Knowledge Test DVD's that they want to sell, rent, lend etc. I have to pass the test before I can solo. I hate to buy something that I will probably only use once. If you can help, let me know. I need to get studying. This is what my instructor wants me to study.

Larry Husky
601XL \ Corvair
Just finished moving
Time to build again!

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

crvsecretary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Hello Paul:

I'm not absolutely sure I agree with you on this one; as I see it this 'requirement' is not so much about knowledge but more about ability and motivation. This requirement is not so different than having a 3rd class medical in your pocket before getting seriously deep in flight instruction - it makes no sense to go further if the struggle is for naught.

As for motivation, this is a discretion call. Everybody has known the guy with great 'stick & rudder' skills but cannot test well, or the young student that 'just wants to fly' and has little interest in the knowledge test. Surprisingly, the young students that are conditioned to learn would probably have an easier time with the knowledge test than us old-timers!

Indeed, if I was a CFI and had a builder come to me looking for primary instruction, I don't think there would be any issue indeed on the motivation scale!!!!

Tracy Smith
N458XL (reserved) 601XL

In a message dated 8/6/2007 6:06:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, psm(at)ATT.NET writes:
Quote:
My reaction to an instructor who insists I pass the written test before solo would be to say "Thank you for all your help" and immediately find another instructor. This is (in my opinion) an outrageous requirement. You don't need all the information from the ground school to be safe for solo flight. Indeed, I think some of the lessons would be more interesting and easy to understand after you are in the situation where you might encounter actual flights involving the information studied. You really don't need to know all the ins and outs of airport light systems, chart reading, radio navigation, and weather systems to do circuits and bumps in the traffic pattern.

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

kensmith(at)springnet1.co

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

It is suprising to me how many people put the flying aspect as priority over knowledge of flying. As a forty year CFIA/II I have watched as students who soloed prior to passing their 24 calendar month written, have never finished up with their Private Certificate.
Why?
Paul, you were fortunate enough to be in a full time classroom orientation which allowed you to work on both the written and practical at the same time. It comes easy that way. If you were only able to fly at the most a one or two hour practice sessions a week like most students do, you would find out that a great deal of time is spent at each session to renew your knowledge of information you learned from the last sessions prior to the present one.
Students like to fly as opposed to studying and reading information. No one likes to study if they don't have to. It is a known fact that a student with prior knowledge of aviation becomes a better pilot and easier to train in the long run.
Therefore it has become a practice and a recommendation from the FAA to consider requiring the student to pass their knowledge test prior to solo. Students seem to combine the knowledge they have learned much better when they have that information instilled in their minds when they are turned loose in a solo situation. There is also a motive to finish your flight training when you know that you have less than 24 calendar months to finish up or have to take your knowledge test over again.

Ken Smith
do not archive

Paul Mulwitz wrote: [quote]Hi Larry,

I don't have the DVDs you want, so don't let my message get you excited. I just want to comment on the training requirement you face.

I was fortunate to be at a college with Air Force ROTC when I was working on getting my private license way back in the 1960's. That allowed me to sign up for the Private Pilot Ground School as a college class. Not only did I get college credit for the "Free" class which ran a full semester, but it was taught by a senior Air Force pilot who really knew his stuff and enjoyed teaching it too. Perhaps the King DVD set is the best alternative available to you for the same training.

I don't think it would hurt any student to do the whole ground school before any flight. Also, I don't think it would be a problem to complete the ground school after achieving the skills needed for solo flight and local practice flying.

Just my opinion.

Paul
XL fuselage
do not archive

At 10:35 PM 8/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone out there, have the King Private Pilot Knowledge Test DVD's that they want to sell, rent, lend etc. I have to pass the test before I can solo. I hate to buy something that I will probably only use once. If you can help, let me know. I need to get studying. This is what my instructor wants me to study.

Larry Husky
601XL \ Corvair
Just finished moving
Time to build again!

[b]

rickpitcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

I bought the King Private Pilot course on E-bay a few years back.
I see one up for auction now. Try going to http://www.ebay.com/ and put
130139521701 in the search window.

Rick Pitcher
Quote:
Does anyone out there, have the King Private Pilot Knowledge Test DVD's
that
they want to sell, rent, lend etc. I have to pass the test before I can
solo. I hate to buy something that I will probably only use once. If
you can
help, let me know. I need to get studying. This is what my instructor
wants
me to study.

Larry Husky
601XL \ Corvair
Just finished moving
Time to build again!

http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2:42 PM

alhays(at)hickoryhillfarm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Larry,
I considered the King Schools material when preparing for a flight
review after not having flown for over 15 years but found that they
require a PC Windows system and not Mac friendly. But they do seem to
be highly regarded. That said, I am surprised that a flight instructor
would require you to buy or borrow a DVD program and to pass the PPL
written exam before solo. If you are not using a Mac and decide to go
with the King Schools material, don't forget that they are licensed for
single use - not to be sold to a third party. If you manage to get a
King DVD loaned or given to you, keep in mind that while laws of
physics don't change, rules, regulations, and procedures can. Better
to get it direct from King and have the most up to date version along
with any supplements. I'd still look for an instructor who could
effectively give ground instruction and steer you to the best written
study guides and reference books. I'm almost due for another two year
flight review and would sit through a private pilot ground school as a
refresher if there was one locally available, but there seems to be
less demand for them now than 25 years ago. So back to the books in
addition to the online courses and materials from AOPA. Should be less
of a challenge after I get a plane finished and flying regularly. My
apology for all the unsolicited info and advice.

Al
CH701&601XL\Corvair

On Aug 6, 2007, at 1:35 AM, LHusky(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:

Does anyone out there, have the King Private Pilot Knowledge Test
DVD's that they want to sell, rent, lend etc.  I have to pass the test
before I can solo.  I hate to buy something that I will probably only
use once.  If you can help, let me know.  I need to get studying. 
This is what my instructor wants me to study. 

Larry Husky
601XL \ Corvair
Just finished moving
Time to build again!

lcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982"
href="http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?
ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982" target="_blank">AOL.com.

skyguynca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Having passed the written before solo is a FAA requirement.

David Mikesell
230 Theresa Drive, #6
Cloverdale, CA 95425
209-224-4485
skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com (skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com)
www.skyguynca.com
[quote] ---

skyguynca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Well, I shouldn't say requirement but a recommendation from the FAA. Also for some flight schools (like the one I went to) their insurance required it.

David Mikesell
230 Theresa Drive, #6
Cloverdale, CA 95425
209-224-4485
skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com (skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com)
www.skyguynca.com
[quote] ---

klr12(at)psu.edu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

The only thing that's required by the FAA for solo is an endorsement
from your instructor and a class 3 medical or driver's license. The
instructor has to make sure the student is knowledgeable in FAA rules
and regulations which he can do with a written or oral test.

Kevin Rupert

rickpitcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Al, are you sure about not being able to sell your software after you're
done with it? I thought the license allowed resale, but it can only be used
on one computer at a time: you can't sell a copy and keep a copy for
yourself.

Quote:
If you are not using a Mac and decide to go with the King Schools
material, don't forget that they are licensed for single use - not to be
sold to a third party.

rickpitcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

---

alhays(at)hickoryhillfarm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

"R.P.",
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what it says on the King Schools website.
Of course you would be able to sell it, but being able to doesn't mean
it would be either legal or ethical.

You'll find King Schools' policy and info at:
www.kingschools.com/UsedCourses.asp
It says, in part: "3. Licensed for Single Use -- All KING Courses are
copyrighted and protected by federal laws. The computer discs are
licensed only for single individual use and may not be sold to a third
party. This is the same as almost all intellectual properties on
computer discs such as the software on your computer."

Even if the wording of the actual license agreement (I haven't seen it)
doesn't prohibit resale, I know the resale would be wrong and don't
believe it would be much of a bargain to the buyer. If someone really
needs that software, they should have an up to date version and be able
to get updates and/or support from King Schools.
Al

On Aug 6, 2007, at 1:18 PM, R.P. wrote:

Quote:

Al, are you sure about not being able to sell your software after
you're done with it? I thought the license allowed resale, but it can
only be used on one computer at a time: you can't sell a copy and keep
a copy for yourself.

> If you are not using a Mac and decide to go with the King Schools
> material, don't forget that they are licensed for single use - not
> to be sold to a third party.

paulried(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

Actually, you cannot resell the King Courses. You buy a license to the
software, not the software. There is an activation code that only works
once.

I have the King Instrument DVD software and it says:

Section 1) "Ownership of the Software: This computer software and all
related content contained in the course is licensed to you, not sold to
you..."
Section 2) " You may use the Software for your own personal, individual
self-study only on a single computer"
Section 3F) "You many not transfer ownership or use of this license to
another person. Any attempt to transfer the license terminates your right
to use the software"

It is a pretty standard software license. Most people are under the
impression they can resell any software, but that is rarely the case.

The Kings make great courses so I feel they deserve to get paid for every
pilot they help train.

Paul Riedlinger
paulried(at)rogers.com

--

paulried(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

The "enrollment password" can only be used once and stops the resale of the
software. I had a computer die and tried to reinstall the software. You
had to call in and confirm that you are the original owner by answering a
few questions about the original purchase. The software does prompt you
that you can buy a new pASSWORD to run the software BUT it is at the price
of the new software so why bother.
Paul Riedlinger
paulried(at)rogers.com

--

rickpitcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Ground School DVD's Reply with quote

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: