Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning fiberglass factory visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/9/2007 6:53:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
Do you have any pictures or comments from your trip through the fiberglass works? I had to leave friday and missed it. Tex

Hi Tex,
I guess I could spread a few words about my visit to Lightning's fiberglass factory. To start, I feel very fortunate to have been invited to join the group of "company owners/investors" to visit Rick Disher's place of business in Wisconsin. It was truly a fantastic opportunity. Rick has been in the fiberglass business all his life and he has built a company that can turn out any type of fiberglass part or assembly using the latest techniques - vacuum bagging and oven cured resins. None of the "chopper gun" process that some use. His work is truly impressive when you look at the size of some of the boat parts and other huge parts he fabricates. In the aviation world, in addition to the aircraft snow skies of his own design, he turns out parts for several "major name" sport aircraft companies other than Arion Lightning. That fact should tell you something about Rick's company's reputation in the aviation world.
As to the Lightning, he had every part of the kit on display and in the process of being built so we could see inside all the parts and assemblies and how they went together. He even showed us all the lay ups and the various glass cloth types they use and how the carbon fiber goes in. I can tell you I am more than impressed. The Lightning fiberglass major assemblies appear to be "hell bent" strong. And by that I don't mean overbuilt or overweight strong, but certainly designed and built to do the job and then some. Just looking inside elevators, rudders, stabilizers and, of course, wings, really gives you a good feeling that this airplane is really well designed and constructed. And speaking of seeing inside the wing, by now everyone has heard about the new option for larger 15 gal tanks - they will fit with no problem.  Well, this next part is "TOP SECTET" from the Lightning "Skunk works": - there is even more room for even more fuel for when Nick gets the time to complete the design of the ULS model. No that is not an ultralight lightning sport, it is the "Ultimate Lightning Storm" model that will be turbo prop powered, with clipped wings and in the tail dragger configuration. You can bet that thing will climb like the proverbial home sick angle, roll like an F-16, and go well past the "speed of stick". Oh yea, throw me in that briar patch, but I digress.....
One more thing I would like to add about the visit - Rick is a long time pilot who flys a Maul tail-dragger. Since he is making parts for several other major sport aircraft companies he could built any airplane that appealed to him. Well, it should make everyone "feel good" that Rich has chosen to build a Lightning. How is that for an endorsement? We saw his project and it is going to be an "award winner". Look for some possible innovative changes to the interior and instrument panel on his Lightning that could find their way into future kits.
Are we having fun yet?
Blue Skies,
Buz

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/9/2007 10:08:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Well, this next part is "TOP SECTET" from the Lightning "Skunk works": - there is even more room for even more fuel for when Nick gets the time to complete the design of the ULS model. No that is not an ultralight lightning sport, it is the "Ultimate Lightning Storm" model that will be turbo prop powered, with clipped wings and in the tail dragger configuration.

I was looking at Jim's Lightning build yesterday. It is sitting on the main gear without the engine, tail on the ground.

It would appear that the forward visibility is near zero!   Because of the long nose of a Lightning, when the tail is lowered it blocks the forward view considerably. If you flare a tri-gear hard now, you cant see for a second or so and the tail is not that close to the ground.

Perhaps the insurance company would require a checkout in the Nemesis or Pitts before insuring a turbine taildragger.

doug

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

we will be installing a pen cam in the chin of the cowl and adapt it to the EFIS screen to have a video referance during landing...

nick

Kayberg(at)aol.com wrote:
[quote] In a message dated 8/9/2007 10:08:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
[quote]Well, this next part is "TOP SECTET" from the Lightning "Skunk works": - there is even more room for even more fuel for when Nick gets the time to complete the design of the ULS model. No that is not an ultralight lightning sport, it is the "Ultimate Lightning [quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/10/2007 8:35:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
Because of the long nose of a Lightning, when the tail is lowered it blocks the forward view considerably. If you flare a tri-gear hard now, you cant see for a second or so and the tail is not that close to the ground.

Doug,
You mentioned landing a Pitts, and yes on final, unless you throw in a slip, not only does the runway disappear, but the entire airport disappears. ( I sure do miss my Pitts and all the exciting landings I had for over 29 years). But, with Nick's solution of mounting a camera in the Turbo Lightning's nose and the EFIS display, it will be just another video game landing. Piece of cake. However another positive for the camera mod is that in the telephoto mode, it will be like the F-4 with the TISEO mod. Except instead of using it for target acquisition, it can be used to made long distance photos of the nearest nudist colony without ever over flying the actual real estate. I am sure you can come up with other uses as well. Want to read someone's N number from miles away? Yep, can do. Want to read the name of a town on a water tower that is still some miles away? Yep, can do too. You see the advantage I am sure. However, just to make sure you understand about the turbo prop Ultimate Lightning Storm - "pull my finger while I am pulling your leg".
Blue Skies,
Buz

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

The NXT (only the first was called NEMISIS after the designers IF1 racer)
kitplane uses a lipstick cam to see forward while taxiing, but I think it's
on one of the gear. The Lightning does have a long nose anyhow, and
although you can see over it in landing, using flaps helps to get a better
view. Brian W.

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/10/2007 9:51:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, vettin74(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
we will be installing a pen cam in the chin of the cowl and adapt it to the EFIS screen to have a video referance during landing...

nick

Arn't you just a slick beotch.

doug

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/10/2007 11:03:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Doug,
You mentioned landing a Pitts, and yes on final, unless you throw in a slip, not only does the runway disappear, but the entire airport disappears. ( I sure do miss my Pitts and all the exciting landings I had for over 29 years). But, with Nick's solution of mounting a camera in the Turbo Lightning's nose and the EFIS display, it will be just another video game landing. Piece of cake. However another positive for the camera mod is that in the telephoto mode, it will be like the F-4 with the TISEO mod. Except instead of using it for target acquisition, it can be used to made long distance photos of the nearest nudist colony without ever over flying the actual real estate.  I am sure you can come up with other uses as well. Want to read someone's N number from miles away? Yep, can do. Want to read the name of a town on a water tower that is still some miles away? Yep, can do too. You see the advantage I am sure. However, just to make sure you understand about the turbo prop Ultimate Lightning Storm - "pull my finger while I am pulling your leg".
Blue Skies,
Buz

Of course,

but I did happen to think about the high nose angle if the Lightning was a tail dragger. That thought has been kicked around before and it occured to me that it just might be a handful to land. Not that that will stop the diehard taildragger fans.

doug

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/10/2007 11:32:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dashvii(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:

The NXT (only the first was called NEMISIS after the designers IF1 racer)
kitplane uses a lipstick cam to see forward while taxiing, but I think it's
on one of the gear. The Lightning does have a long nose anyhow, and
although you can see over it in landing, using flaps helps to get a better
view. Brian W.

I just remember one early landing in our Lightning where I flaired with full flaps and got goosed by a crosswind gust landing downhill on our grass strip as I ran out of elevator and ideas all at the same time. With the nose pointed to the moon, the runway disappeared and I braced for a crash. I remember thinking , " this could be interesting!"

But it touched down gently and the nose came down slowly...no problem at all.

However, that moment of discomfort is etched in my mind. A taildragger Lightning would be a hard sell to me.

doug

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

Quote:
That thought has been kicked around before and it occured to
me that it just might be a handful to land. Not that that will stop the
diehard taildragger fans.

doug

Darn Right! Cool

Rick
N727RB

lozhoffman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

And what's wrong with being a die hard taildragger
fan???? I sense another real aeroplane vs tricycle
undercarriage airplane discussion coming!
Laurie
Sydney

--- Rick Bowen <rollnloop(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

<rollnloop(at)hotmail.com>

> That thought has been kicked around before and it
occured to
>me that it just might be a handful to land. Not
that that will stop the
>diehard taildragger fans.
>
>doug
>

Darn Right! Cool

Rick
N727RB

Quote:
More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB
with Windows Live Hotmail.

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,

Web Forums!

Laurie
02 46531233
0425 703226

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/10/2007 9:35:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lozhoffman(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Laurie
Sydney

I plead guilty to a charge of emotional bias.

At Oshkosh this year I saw a Luscomb nose over on its back; and a P-51 Mustang driver crash and die on landing their taildraggers in two seperate incidents right in front of me. Had they been trigear, it is quite likely no crash would have occured.

As I age, it seems senseless to make an airplane MORE LIKELY to crash when landing!

Since no tri-gear Pitts exists (to my knowledge) I have no problems with it. Or with specialty airplanes that would seem to require tailwheels. But for casual flyers, to retrofit to a tailwheel would seem not to make sense for the wise.

doug koenigsberg

[quote][b]

georgiemun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

[/quote]

At Oshkosh this year I saw a Luscomb nose over on its back; and a P-51 Mustang driver crash and die on landing their taildraggers in two seperate incidents right in front of me. Had they been trigear, it is quite likely no crash would have occured.

[/quote]

I think you are a little off base here. The Mustang crash had nothing to do with the fact that the aircraft is a tail dragger since he was still in the air when he ran up into the tail of the guy in front of him.

Flying that close, he would have done the same thing in a tri-gear.

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

"a P-51 Mustang driver crash and die on landing their taildraggers"

To be fair that was caused by more than just being a taildragger. The FAA
said that they were not flying in for a formation landing, but trying to
land at the same time, thus lack of communication played a major part. You
could almost make the same argument here about low wing and high wing
airplanes and their blind spots when descending or climbing.

One thing that we did discuss in an air race forum (P-51's at Oskosh were
finishing a mock air race) was the need for a rollover structure. In this
case it likely wouldn't have mattered, but at Sun N Fun a few years back a
T-6 rolled onto its back, the rollover structure had been removed, and the
person suffocated b/c his neck was pinched backwards. After that they
required at least 2 different race classes have rollover structures. Some
said that the plane went into the grass and it wouldn't have mattered and it
would've dug in. The fact is that you just don't know since it didn't have
one.

Kind of back to the orgianlly intended topic, the Lightning has an area
behind the canopy that is supposed to be designed as a roll over structure
from what I was told. Brian W.
Reply-To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning fiberglass factory visit
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:27:11 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/2007 9:35:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lozhoffman(at)yahoo.com writes:

Laurie
Sydney

At Oshkosh this year I saw a Luscomb nose over on its back; and a P-51
Mustang driver crash and die on landing their taildraggers in two seperate
incidents right in front of me. Had they been trigear, it is quite likely
no crash
would have occured.

As I age, it seems senseless to make an airplane MORE LIKELY to crash when
landing!

Since no tri-gear Pitts exists (to my knowledge) I have no problems with
it.
Or with specialty airplanes that would seem to require tailwheels. But
for casual flyers, to retrofit to a tailwheel would seem not to make sense
for
the wise.

doug koenigsberg

http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

Also, The crash at Oskosh was actually NOT a mustang. This was a 100%
scale replica of an A model mustang built from the orignal plans. It and
the other aircraft involved were featured in a new movie called "Thunder
Over Reno", which is about air racing. Movie Trailer can be found here:
http://www.thunderoverreno.com/news/ Also, the two families involved were
good friends and the plane that survived was actually the owners son. (not
a really young guy, just mean that had to be scary for the owner to see all
of this). Brian W.
Reply-To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning fiberglass factory visit
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:53:27 -0700

[/quote]

At Oshkosh this year I saw a Luscomb nose over on its back; and a P-51
Mustang driver crash and die on landing their taildraggers in two seperate
incidents right in front of me. Had they been trigear, it is quite likely
no crash would have occured.

[/quote]

I think you are a little off base here. The Mustang crash had nothing to do
with the fact that the aircraft is a tail dragger since he was still in the
air when he ran up into the tail of the guy in front of him.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=128603#128603

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Lightning fiberglass factory visit Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/11/2007 7:54:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, georgiemun(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

I think you are a little off base here. The Mustang crash had nothing to do with the fact that the aircraft is a tail dragger since he was still in the air when he ran up into the tail of the guy in front of him.

You may be right.......but with a nosewheel he would have had the option to just bang it down and slam on the brakes.

It would seem to me that with a tailwheel you have fewer options at touchdown.

doug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: