Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microair 760 /Chinese characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdewees(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Hi Gang,
I know that a number of other Zenith drivers like myself also have a
Microair 760 com radio so I hope this question won't be too far off the
subject. Last week when I cranked up to fly in 95 degree temps I
watched my Microair radio go thru it's test sequence and waited for the
two lines of digits to appear signifying the current and flip-flop
frequencies. To my amazement it went from English text startup test to
Chines characters on the display! At first there were a few elements of
digits I could recognize, but most characters were totally
unintelligible. I turned the radio master off and on again and it
settled into good ole English again. I thought it was the heat and it
was ok for the rest of the flight.
Today when I turned on the radio in preparation for flight I got the
same Chinese characters again, but they wouldn't go away with recycling
the radio. I remembered the two frequencies I had programmed into it
and it worked just fine in receive and transmit mode, but of course I
couldn't read them off the display because of the characters displayed.
I decided I couldn't make it much worse if I played around a bit with it
so I tried combinations of holding switches on or off, up or down while
turning the power on. Within a few minutes of fiddling I got it back
to English and it appears to be stable. Anyone else ever have this
problem? I could believe some language other than Chinese (if it really
is) because I'm sure the radio is marketed worldwide. I haven't been to
my original literature that came with the radio to see if there is a
"reset" button or sequence to return to a default display language, but
suspect that that's what I accidentally did.
Ideas appreciated.
Ron

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
jetboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Ron,
check their website, if the info is not there, check the xcom website because it does have information on the problem. It might be a faulty display, or the drivers getting scrambled at startup, if this occurs you usually have no control of the radio functions. Yes, they are "different" radios, in the same way a Savanh# is different to a 701.
These problems usually dont go away - lately we've had quite a lot of problems with the xcom to the point of replacing with microair or icoms. Earlier microairs had teething issues, I hope their new upgraded version is Ok - havent seen one yet.

Ralph, radio tech

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

passpat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

LAFAYETTE avionics Radio in Lafayette In. is a service center the fellow's name is Ron Wright

--

chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Help
I am about to buy the Micro 760 or the Xcom radio for my XL

I was going with the X com because it had a 2 place intercom built in at no extra cost and with the 760, you had to buy an extra one.

What are the main problems with each radio (facts please)
Thanks..
Chris..

zodierocket(at)hsfx.ca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Not any more the new Microair have an intercom built in.

Mark Townsend Alma, Ontario
Zodiac 601XL C-GOXL, CH701 just started
www.ch601.org / www.ch701.com / www.Osprey2.com
--

d.goddard(at)ns.sympatico

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

I have a Valcom 760. This is almost the least expensive radio out there and
rock solid performer. Light as any of the others the only downside is size.
I use a Vertex as a handheld, solid but way too many "features".
---

chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Thanks Mark
Jee wizz things change fast. I was at their display in May and they said they did not make a 760 with internal VOX but they could sell me a VOX that would work with it as a combo kit. So I walked away and went to the X Com stand..

And this was down here in Australia..
Do not Archive

jetboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Chris,
We started using the xcom because of the intercom and additional frequencies (marine weather channels) and dual watch it offered. Many faults have been experienced that have not been satisfactorily resolved by the factory at this time and its getting too expensive to keep shipping these radios back when they dont get repaired. I know of 4 radios currently in this category. So with the microair now having everything except the weather channels you have a great choice.

To be fair, early microairs have had troubles and their transponder has only just come clean.

To those that prefer less risk and more cost, becker, filser, garmin SL40, icom A200, bendixking KY97A and valcom might be better.

Ralph

chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Thanks Ralph

We dont get the weather channels down here and so that is not an option I would need. Checking the new 760 operators download of the Microair site they did not mention much about the new VOX only that it now had one.

Also in the wiring diagram there is a line in for a music input (Mp3) I guess. But again I see nothing in the guide about it? Does it fade out during intercom / radio Transmisions like the X com???

Chris
Do not Archive

amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

if you live in a class B environment, they cannot take the heaavy use and will fuse out. High repair history.

--

jetboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Microair 760 /Chinese characters Reply with quote

Chris,
I dont know if the misic input on the microair fades or not. Are you sure you dont get marine weater data over there? In the Auckland area there are two transmitters, 161.6 and 161.65 that run a continuous forecast including actual windspeeds from about 8 anenometers around the coast. Very useful for flying and keeping an ear on conditions.

Meanwhile my answer previous about suitable radios got a bit dated. Icom now has a new model, IC A210, that has all the modern features including marine weather receive & VOX intercom, dual watch etc. Found it on none other than the RA-Aus site.

Ralph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: