Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

canopy fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: canopy fit Reply with quote

Nick and the group, Just glued the canopy on after 4 months of getting the fit just perfect. All went well till I put the counter balances on. Then the sh** hit the fan. With the counter now balances on the frame, it apperantly puts stress exerted on the whole assembly. I guess that the counter balances should be on when the glue go on and when you are trying to fit the canopy. I tried that at first and It stressed the frame so much that you could not work on the canopy. Has anyone got to this point yet with their kit, and what did you fellows do at Shellbyville when you worked on the builder assist program?
Tex
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
ryan(at)greenlandings.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: canopy fit Reply with quote

.htmtableborders, .htmtableborders td, .htmtableborders th {border : 1px dashed lightgrey ! important;} html, body { border: 0px; } span.macro, span.macro ul, span.macro div, span.macro p {background : #CCCCCC;} p{margin-bottom: 0.15em;margin-top: 0.15em;}body{font-family:courier new, courier, mono;font-size:8pt;}; Tex,

I am guessing that when you are talking about the counter balances you mean the gas shocks. At Green Landings we do not put on the gas shocks until the Canopy is glued to the frame. We do however fit the gas shocks to the frame before the final fit of the canopy. I believe you are correct when you say that without the canopy on the frame the gas shocks do put to much stress on the frame. I guess what I am getting at is, what is the problem that has occurred? We have now fitted four Canopy's without having the gas shocks on the aircraft and have had no problem putting them on later. Once the Canopy is attached to the frame it seems to be strong enough to not stress that frame or the canopy.

One thing that you will notice when putting on the gas shocks is that the Canopy will be pushed aft when closed. This can be also helped by putting in the guide pins to help the canopy alien properly when closed.

Ryan Gross
Green Landings Flight Center, Inc
SkyRanger Aircraft
Arion Lightning
304-754-6010

[quote]--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: canopy fit Reply with quote

Tex...

I am in oregon right now so i do not have a manual copy in front of me, but we do fit the frame and when we have the latching barrels and the side locating pins in place and the gas struts go on, than we bond tthe canopy in place. normally do not have much issue, send some photos please...

nick

Tex Mantell <wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
[quote] Nick and the group, Just glued the canopy on after 4 months of getting the fit just perfect. All went well till I put the counter balances on. Then the sh** hit the fan. With the counter now balances on the frame, it apperantly puts stress exerted on the whole assembly. I guess that the counter balances should be on when the glue Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's [quote][b]

mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: canopy fit Reply with quote

Tex,

Here in Shelbyville we basically do what Ryan has described. We fit the frame first to the fuselage, install the alignment pins, and then drill the holes aft through the frame, fuselage and seatback for the canopy latch pins. At that point we fit the hinges and then install the gas struts. We leave the gas struts in place while fitting the canopy but remove them when we’re ready to bond the canopy on. Also, as Ryan has said, the gas struts will “push” the canopy a bit aft but all we do is lengthen the alignment pin hole in the fuselage a bit aft to accommodate for this. We’re talking no more than 1/8”. The alignment pins are for side to side alignment anyway.

Where did you install the gas struts? Could you send a picture to me at mark(at)flylightning.net (mark(at)flylightning.net)? What is happening?

Mark

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of ryan gross
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:57 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: canopy fit

Tex,

I am guessing that when you are talking about the counter balances you mean the gas shocks. At Green Landings we do not put on the gas shocks until the Canopy is glued to the frame. We do however fit the gas shocks to the frame before the final fit of the canopy. I believe you are correct when you say that without the canopy on the frame the gas shocks do put to much stress on the frame. I guess what I am getting at is, what is the problem that has occurred? We have now fitted four Canopy's without having the gas shocks on the aircraft and have had no problem putting them on later. Once the Canopy is attached to the frame it seems to be strong enough to not stress that frame or the canopy.

One thing that you will notice when putting on the gas shocks is that the Canopy will be pushed aft when closed. This can be also helped by putting in the guide pins to help the canopy alien properly when closed.

Ryan Gross
Green Landings Flight Center, Inc
SkyRanger Aircraft
Arion Lightning
304-754-6010
--

wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: canopy fit Reply with quote

Thanks to all that have responded to my inquiry. The problem is that the canopy has moved back about 1/4 " and that creates a gap in the front and tight in the back. I had two location pins on the sides, but its hell to get them in without really pushing had on the canopy. Also with that reward pressure on the assembly the front edges of the canopy bow out a 1/16 or so. I had the canopy where it had a perfect fit with 30 thousands gap all around. Its really depressing situation at this point. Tex
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: