Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

From what I've read it's true the vinyl-ester resins are more resistant to ethanol contamination. A couple of questions are; How resistant? and What does Ethanol do to the seals in your fuel system.
About the only thing around that is more corrosive than Ethanol is Methanol and I think we are splitting hairs there. Best thing to do is not to use fuel contaminated with Ethanol. There are other reasons which I don't want to go into here. Its enough to say the alcohol and flying are not good mates.
Now!
The good news is...
There is a guy on the Avid list who lives in, as he calls it, La La land. He has been successfully flying on Ethanol contaminated fuel for years by pre-mixing the fuel for his two stroke Rotax engine. Apparently the oil protects the tanks from the effects of Ethanol. A while ago he installed a Jab. I understand he has been using a bit of oil, I'm not sure about the concentration, in his gas and has had no problems with Ethanol having lunch on his tanks.

Pre mixing contaminated gasoline with oil can lead to separation of the oil from the gas. Definitely not good! I think (not sure) this will only happen at lower temperatures. It is something to consider.

There is at least one company out there today that makes retro-fit rotary moulded tanks that are resistant to the effects of Ethanol. Just another idea for you to check out.

[img]cid:328065201(at)01092007-2ADB[/img]
Noel Loveys, RPP, AME intern
Campbellton, Newfoundland,
Canada
Kitfox Mod III-A, 582, B box, Ivo IFA
Aerocet 1100s
noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)

[quote] --

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

att50.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.77 KB
 Viewed:  385 Time(s)

att50.jpg

pwmac(at)sisna.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

Not Poly but Aflac resin fiberglass. That is the same resin used for
underground tanks at the gas station. Should work fine for the plane.
Our tank troubles are with the vintage glass tanks. Don't remember
when the switch was made but is was done by Frank at Skystar.

Paul
============

At 07:51 PM 8/31/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

I realy doubt that MOGAS is ethanol free. I will find out in the
next few days. Are new kitfox kits with poly tanks or still
fiberglass? Does someone make poly tanks to replace mine? Thanks again..

--------

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=132168#132168

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

The MTBE isn't the culprit. It is a carcinogen, or that's the word but it
doesn't have the appetite for water or resin that alcohols have.

Aviation fuels use a lead additive. Where every you buy your 100LL you will
be getting the exact same stuff.... MOGAS, the only thing you can say is it
is flammable. If you do use LL in your 912 make sure you are using a
mineral oil in the base of the engine. Synthetic oils hate the lead and
take their dislike out on your engine.

Noel

[quote] --

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

Politicians for farming areas are pushing for the alcohol to replace MTBE. It's still available in several areas certainly North of the 49th. But even in out fair land politics is going to contaminate the gas supply.

One would expect that MOGAS sold at an airport would be free of alcohol. The dangers of alcohol as associated with flight are well known. Selling poisoned gas at an aerodrome, to me, should be considered a felony. People associated with selling fuel at airports are not as un informed as the general public on the effects of the fuel they sell but we can't forget the politics that have inflicted us with this Ethanol fiasco in the first place. It never ceases to amaze me that some elected cretins on both sides of the border actually think that ethanol is clean. Then why would they want to know the truth... They're buying votes with hooch, a time honoured pastime!

[img]cid:237491702(at)01092007-2AE2[/img]
Canada
Aerocet 1100s

[quote] --

Signature1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

Signature1.jpg

pwmac(at)sisna.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

If you mean Rotax. They have said not problem with alcohol. So if one uses auto hoses and Al lines that part of the system should be OK. Of course Sub engines wont care unless one uses non Sub parts.
Paul
==============
At 07:58 PM 8/31/2007, you wrote:

[quote]From what I've read it's true the vinyl-ester resins are more resistant to ethanol contamination. A couple of questions are; How resistant? and What does Ethanol do to the seals in your fuel system.
About the only thing around that is more corrosive than Ethanol is Methanol and I think we are splitting hairs there. Best thing to do is not to use fuel contaminated with Ethanol. There are other reasons which I don't want to go into here. Its enough to say the alcohol and flying are not good mates.
Now!
The good news is...
There is a guy on the Avid list who lives in, as he calls it, La La land. He has been successfully flying on Ethanol contaminated fuel for years by pre-mixing the fuel for his two stroke Rotax engine. Apparently the oil protects the tanks from the effects of Ethanol. A while ago he installed a Jab. I understand he has been using a bit of oil, I'm not sure about the concentration, in his gas and has had no problems with Ethanol having lunch on his tanks.

Pre mixing contaminated gasoline with oil can lead to separation of the oil from the gas. Definitely not good! I think (not sure) this will only happen at lower temperatures. It is something to consider.

There is at least one company out there today that makes retro-fit rotary moulded tanks that are resistant to the effects of Ethanol. Just another idea for you to check out.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20070831202105.01e667c0(at)sisna.com.1[/img]

Canada
Aerocet 1100s

> --

7aa24c6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

7aa24c6.jpg

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

If this is old news, sorry, but to test for ethanol, get a skinny bottle,
add small amount of water, mark top of water with marker, add about 5 times
more gas than water, shake well and then let sit. No ethenal, and the water
will settle out and end up at the same place as the mark you made. With
ethenal, water level will go up. Jim Chuk Avid Mk IV Jabiru
Quote:
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:51:16 -0700

I realy doubt that MOGAS is ethanol free. I will find out in the next few
days. Are new kitfox kits with poly tanks or still fiberglass? Does someone
make poly tanks to replace mine? Thanks again..

--------

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=132168#132168

Giovanni Day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

My sump tool actually has marks on it to test for ETOH and is how I planned on testing the MOGAS. Thanks for the reminder though.

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

Better yet. Up here in Minnesota, we can buy ethenol free gas that is
labled for collector cars, boats and snowmobiles. I do check every once in
a while just to keep them honest. Thanks, Jim Chuk
Quote:
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:44:45 -0700

My sump tool actually has marks on it to test for ETOH and is how I planned
on testing the MOGAS. Thanks for the reminder though.

--------

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=132179#132179

Giovanni Day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

My next thought was CAM2 race fuel if still available and affordable.

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

A few points are screaming at me to be made.

Auto hoses are opaque the impulse line on my plane is clear urethane so I can see if there is anything combing up the line from the base of the engine. I have no idea what Ethanol will do to that line or for that matter the clear primer lines either.

Ethanol will corrode aluminium. That's one of the reasons truckers don't want to transport the stuff. Stainless steel will probably work. Now who is it who makes stainless steel carbs???

The seals in your Rotax may be somewhat resistant to Ethanol... can you say the same thing for the Mikuni fuel pump???

There are many other issues about allowing Ethanol in the fuel tank of any airplane... excluding possibly turbine aircraft. The affinity to water, a good thing to have in your fuel system and the effect it has on vapour lock and carb ice are just a few items I didn't want to get into here.

Yes it can be done BUT.... not without a reduced safety factor. Save your Ethanol for the end of the day! Then consume it with an olive!

Noel
[quote]
--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

Just a note the gas that is left on top of the test will have no alcohol in
it. That is the same procedure used to remove alcohol form your gas. The
problem is you also reduce the octane rating of the gas. Now if you could
buy MTBE to bring the octane rating up again...

Noel

[quote] --

Giovanni Day

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

I did a little research on my kit. It was ordered in 03/31/97 and delivered 04/30/97 from Skystar. Does anyone know if the tanks would have been made of the new Aflac resin?

I also found a packing list that includes Kreem Fuel tank liner, Quart. Makes me think the switch had not been made on the resin yet.

Maybe the Kreem is the amber stuff coming out?? On the web I find it says it is "Resistant to alcohol and gasohol; withstands most octane boosters" but who knows back in 1997.

I do know this, what ever it is comes clean very easily with carb cleaner.

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

Giovanni,
My kit was made mid '99 - supposedly well after the switch was made to the
new resin - and the kit included Kreem. I didn't use it. No problems in
180 hours.

I think your kit was after the change too, but hopefully someone who knows
for sure will respond.

Randy Daughenbaugh, N10NH
Black Hills of South Dakota, - Near Mount Rushmore
Home Strip, Grass Room in Hangar for visitors
Series 5/7 (7 Firewall Forward) 912S, Warp Drive Taper Tip
Gross Weight 1320 lbs, Flying since November 2004
Does anyone know if the tanks would have been made of the new Aflac resin?

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=132500#132500

barry(at)pgtc.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

I bought my Model IV kit in 1996 and used the Kreem in the tanks. I have
been flying since 2000 and have had no problem with fuel contamination nor
water in the fuel. My fuel lines are a combination of the rubber hoses and
aluminum that came with the kit. The site gages turned dark, got brittle
and one of them broke departing Oshkosh in 2006. I replaced them with nylon
tubing that is not as transparent but still works and has not been a
problem.

Barry West

---

Mark.Napier(at)sciatl.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

I resealed my leaking left 6 gal tank with Kreem about 2 years ago. I
bought three quart cans of the stuff so I could sure there was enough
volume in there to reach all the spots. Real fun to turn the wing this
way and that to get all surfaces covered.

Before that I used acetone to clean the tanks out. Says use MEK but the
acetone dissolved the old Kreem (from about 1991) just fine. The new
sealer has been doing just fine since then.

However, I noticed something while trying to clean up after the fact.
After drying for a few days the new Kreem would not dissolve in acetone.
MEK "bleached" it some but didn't dissolve it. Since this stuff was
clogging the vent tube of my gas cap and my old filter screen I forgot
to remove I started trying other things. Denatured alcohol didn't
remove it. Nor did brake cleaner. Or that carb cleaner that comes in a
bucket you dip parts into. Or Varsol. Or anything else I tried.

So I pitched the old screen and spent some quality time with a piece of
thick safety wire digging the stuff out of my vent tube.

Now I didn't have any Methanol to try but I doubt it will touch it.

FWIW,

Mark Napier

--

Mark.Napier(at)sciatl.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

I resealed my leaking left 6 gal tank with Kreem about 2 years ago. I
bought three quart cans of the stuff so I could be sure there was enough
volume in there to reach all the spots. Real fun to turn the wing this
way and that to get all surfaces covered.

Before that I used acetone to clean the tanks out. Says use MEK but the
acetone dissolved the old Kreem (from about 1991) fairly quick and left
the fiberglass clean. The newly sealed tank has been leak free since
then.

However, trying to clean up later was a real chore. After drying for a
few days the new Kreem would not dissolve in acetone. MEK "bleached" it
some but didn't dissolve it. Since this stuff was clogging the vent
tube on my gas cap and my old filter screen I forgot to remove I started
trying other things. Denatured alcohol didn't remove it. Nor did brake
cleaner. Or that carb cleaner that comes in a bucket you dip parts
into. Or Varsol. Or anything else I had handy.

So I just replaced the old tank screen and spent some quality time with
a piece of thick safety wire digging the stuff out of my vent tube.

Now I didn't have any Methanol to try but I doubt it will touch it.

FWIW,

Mark Napier

--

Giovanni Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber residue in 912 intake Model 4-1200 Reply with quote

I did some checking and found that conco fuel has no alcohol. I also find that the inside of the tanks have a coating of the amber stuff that is coming out in the intake manifolds. I tested the fuel in the tanks for alcohol and did not find any. Could be that because it is unstable and the alcohol evaporates faster is has since evaporated.
Not sure what to think at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: