Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monowheel speed kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

The installation of my speed kit is now completed and I made some speed measurements today. The results are as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Without the speed kit, June 2006: altitude FL75, OAT 10 degrees C, that is density altitude <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />8500 ft, full throttle, 5000 RPM, that is approx 60 percent power, TAS 133 kts.
Same day, same conditions except 4800 RPM, that is approx 55 percent power, TAS 130 kts.

With the speed kit today: altitude FL75, OAT 11 degrees C, full throttle, 5000 RPM, TAS 135 kts.
Same conditions except 4800 RPM, TAS 134 kts.

Conclusion: the speed gain is in the 2 to 4 knots range.

All flights were with full fuel, no passenger. Estimated weight: 520kg. All 11 speed kit fairings installed. True airspeed was computed using the GPS 3 segments method.
Best regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel, 912S, Airmaster, 526 hours

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
paul.mcallister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi Remi,

Only a couple of knots gain? Disappointing to say the least. Did you have the tail wheel fairing fitted ? I haven't fitted mine and I am wondering if it is worth the effort.

Paul
[quote] --

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Yes I have the whole eleven fairings fitted. That includes the tail wheel fairing. I agree this is disappointing given the up to nine knots gain claimed by the factory. However all those fairings enhance the look of the airplane, protect the outrigger mechanism and prevent mud projections from the little wheels... and removed 1.2 kg from my useful load.

Remi

Only a couple of knots gain? Disappointing to say the least. Did you have
the tail wheel fairing fitted ? I haven't fitted mine and I am wondering if
it is worth the effort.

Paul
--

roger.mills(at)btinternet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Remi,

A few years ago I measured the speed difference "before and after" for my monowheel speed kit over a range of speeds from 90 to 135 kts. The lower speed gain was only about 5 kts but, understandably because drag increases at speed squared, the top of the speed range had an 8 kt gain. Overall, the average gain over this speed range was 6.5kts.

It's a worthwhile improvement in speed especially if you cruise at 120kts+ but I can't help thinking that the design of the fairings could be improved. All of the flap bracket fairings have a very broad trailing edge and the curved, open tops at the back must induce drag as the air curls over into it.

Regards
Roger Mills
G-BVUV
[quote][b]

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi Remi

My mono is far away and
cannot verify how many
fairings I have. I can remember
four of them /wing and just one
around tail wheel. That means 9 pcs.
Just wonder where are two extra.
Around main wheel? I have not...why?

How did you install the fairing around the
outrigger mechanism? I did as per
instructions + soft glued it to the
down surface of the wing just to keep
it clean and nice. Just wonder how
often I should remove it to make
some service and spring check of
the mechanism. I would like to hope
they last forever w/o service...

Paul:

about tailwheel fairing; I have it and
it is painted dark /black cherry (of course!).
After every single take-off from any gravel
strip I have to repaint it. The fairing material
itself is also very brittle - so it will not last
very many operations in unprepared strips.
If asphalt is your runway - It is OK.

I am going to stiffen it somehow structurally
and also cover it by 3M damagetape to protect
the painting itself. I do like how it looks.

Raimo
====

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417, DK Endealave 2007 visitor #2.
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi Raimo,

I confirm the speed kit supplied by the factory includes eleven fairings: 2 for the outrigger mechanism, 4 for the flap hinges, 2 for the flap cross tube pivots, 2 for the outrigger wheels and one for the tailwheel. I managed to install the outrigger mechanism fairing without gluing it as I wanted to be able to remove it easily for inspection. The fairings are just bolted at the specified attach points plus using one screw from the aileron bellcranck inspection plate. I had to reshape the fairing flanges using a heat gun to get an acceptable fit.

Remi

My mono is far away and
cannot verify how many
fairings I have. I can remember
four of them /wing and just one
around tail wheel. That means 9 pcs.
Just wonder where are two extra.
Around main wheel? I have not...why?

How did you install the fairing around the
outrigger mechanism? I did as per
instructions + soft glued it to the
down surface of the wing just to keep
it clean and nice. Just wonder how
often I should remove it to make
some service and spring check of
the mechanism. I would like to hope
they last forever w/o service...

[quote][b]

acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Remi

I have the XS Monowheel with the 914 and Airmaster installed.

Your results are about the same as what we got when I also installed the speed kit mod. I saw a increase of 3 knots average over several runs. Several of us here in Florida, USA who have the XS monowheels, installed the speed kits looking for 10 kts advantage. However it was not to be.When we tried to get answers from the old management team as to why this large difference in speed, we sure got the Run Around.....

I know in some of the advertisements the old Europa Co. was (is) advertising 200 MPH cruise speeds for the XS series. I don't know anyone who is getting that kind of speed. Once again put it down to manufactures advertising hype.

Jim Brown
N398JB
[quote] ---

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Except maybe Dennis Vories :

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/editorial/articledetail.lasso?-token.key=5704&-token.src=column&-nothing

who claims even faster speeds up high (per a now deleted kitplanes radio interview) with his intercooled 914 w/whirlwind

Cheers,
Pete
A239 - still apile of parts

On 9/20/07, jim Brown <acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com (acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote: [quote] Remi

I have the XS Monowheel with the 914 and Airmaster installed.

Your results are about the same as what we got when I also installed the speed kit mod. I saw a increase of 3 knots average over several runs. Several of us here in Florida, USA who have the XS monowheels, installed the speed kits looking for 10 kts advantage. However it was not to be.When we tried to get answers from the old management team as to why this large difference in speed, we sure got the Run Around.....

I know in some of the advertisements the old Europa Co. was (is) advertising 200 MPH cruise speeds for the XS series. I don't know anyone who is getting that kind of speed. Once again put it down to manufactures advertising hype.

Jim Brown
N398JB
[quote] ---

fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw a increase of 3 knots average over several runs. Several of us
here in Florida, USA who have the XS monowheels, installed the speed
kits looking for 10 kts advantage. However it was not to be.

Though visually attractive, I've had my doubts about the mono speed kit.

For example, the flap hinge fairings have a large frontal area and are
open at the rear, neither characteristic will IMHO reduce drag. In my
spare moments I'm working on very narrow FG wrapped balsa skirts which
slip over the hinge plates and fit w/ minor FG moldings at both the
pivot point and wing surface intersection. I'll post pixs when I have
something fitted.

I suspect the biggest source of drag not addressed by the mono SK is
that of the main wheel and wheel well, something which Alex Bowman has
a handle on and shown on pixs posted at:
www.europaowners.orgmodules.php?set_albumName=album149&id=DSCN0096&op=mo
dload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

The exposed outrigger wheel is a source of drag which the speed kit
fairing doesn't address. Here are some pixs of a fully enclosed
outrigger which has a spring loaded afterbody which hinges up when
flaps are deployed; airstream on mini-tailplane locks it back down when
flaps are raised...this is a prototype not yet tested in flight...(hey,
we're building experimental aircraft, are we not?)

Fred
A194
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

iPhotoiPhoto-mailtmp-0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.31 KB
 Viewed:  507 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  20.02 KB
 Viewed:  536 Time(s)

terrys(at)cisco.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

I believe the biggest improvement in reducing drag would be found in the engine cowl area. Closing off the gills would be the first thing (they add no value to the plane). Second would be to clean up the radiator opening and following duct, it is too large for the size of this engine and is rather messy. Then clean up the radiator exit, it is very messy back there. We carefully installed the Kim Prout main gear fairings and saw ZERO improvement in cruise speed, which leads me to believe that the lower cowl exit is so turbulent that fairing in the main gear (or even retracting it) has little value. A magazine flight test on the Europa motor glider reported that there was no improvement in glide performance gear up vs gear down, which further supports my suspicion on the cowl problems.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD, XS mono-wheel with 912S.

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Fred Klein
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:40 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Monowheel speed kit

Quote:
I saw a increase of 3 knots average over several runs. Several of us here in Florida, USA who have the XS monowheels, installed the speed kits looking for 10 kts advantage. However it was not to be.

Though visually attractive, I've had my doubts about the mono speed kit.

For example, the flap hinge fairings have a large frontal area and are open at the rear, neither characteristic will IMHO reduce drag. In my spare moments I'm working on very narrow FG wrapped balsa skirts which slip over the hinge plates and fit w/ minor FG moldings at both the pivot point and wing surface intersection. I'll post pixs when I have something fitted.

I suspect the biggest source of drag not addressed by the mono SK is that of the main wheel and wheel well, something which Alex Bowman has a handle on and shown on pixs posted at:
www.europaowners.orgmodules.php?set_albumName=album149&id=DSCN0096&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

The exposed outrigger wheel is a source of drag which the speed kit fairing doesn't address. Here are some pixs of a fully enclosed outrigger which has a spring loaded afterbody which hinges up when flaps are deployed; airstream on mini-tailplane locks it back down when flaps are raised...this is a prototype not yet tested in flight...(hey, we're building experimental aircraft, are we not?)

Fred
A194

[quote][b]

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Thanks Remi

I just forgot those fairings for
flap cross tube pivots - I have them.

I have had some thoughts to make
fore and aft fairings for mainwheel
but probably they would be useful
only for visual appearance.

The fairings are just bolted at the specified attach points plus using one screw from the aileron bellcranck inspection plate.

Good idea.

Raimo

[quote] ---

fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Terry,

I totally agree w/ your comments on the standard cowl...Did you check
out Bowman's fairing? Alex's cowl of course removes the cooling air
exit from factoring in to potential drag reduction of a main gear
fairing.

Fred

On Thursday, September 20, 2007, at 02:39 PM, Terry Seaver (terrys)
wrote:

Quote:
I believe the biggest improvement in reducing drag would be found in
the engine cowl area.  Closing off the gills would be the first thing
(they add no value to the plane).  Second would be to clean up the
radiator opening and following duct, it is too large for the size of
this engine and is rather messy.  Then clean up the radiator exit, it
is very messy back there.  We carefully installed the Kim Prout main
gear fairings and saw ZERO improvement in cruise speed, which leads me
to believe that the lower cowl exit is so turbulent that fairing in
the main gear (or even retracting it) has little value.  A
magazine flight test on the Europa motor glider reported that there
was no improvement in glide performance gear up vs gear down, which
further supports my suspicion on the cowl problems.

regards,
Terry Seaver

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Terry
I suspect you are right. If an O-360 Lycoming can be cooled with an
inlet area of only 14 square inches why does it take the same (aprox) to
cool a Rotax?
Graham

Terry Seaver (terrys) wrote:
Quote:
I believe the biggest improvement in reducing drag would be found in the
engine cowl area. Closing off the gills would be the first thing (they
add no value to the plane). Second would be to clean up the radiator
opening and following duct, it is too large for the size of this engine
and is rather messy. Then clean up the radiator exit, it is very messy
back there. We carefully installed the Kim Prout main gear fairings and
saw ZERO improvement in cruise speed, which leads me to believe that the
lower cowl exit is so turbulent that fairing in the main gear (or even
retracting it) has little value. A magazine flight test on the Europa
motor glider reported that there was no improvement in glide performance
gear up vs gear down, which further supports my suspicion on the cowl
problems.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD, XS mono-wheel with 912S.

justin(at)systemwise.co.u

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Monowheel Speed Kit Reply with quote

Hi All

We made our own speed kit consisting only of outrigger fairings and wing root fairings. While both are unlike the normal ones we felt the wing fairings made the biggest difference. We have no other speed kit elements, even the tail wheel is naked.
I designed our wing fairings based on the extensive work done in this area in WW2. This is why they are not unlike the Spitfire ones. They are also less than the optimum shape as the fuselage still has to fit in the trailer.
My monowheel G-ZTED cruises at 130 kts at 1370 pounds at 1000ft on a standard day. G-ZTED is a Classic with 912S and an Airmaster Prop. & Warp Drive blades.
William Mills and I had taken flash mouldings of my wing fairings just before his accident. While William had wanted a set for his aircraft we had intended to see if there was enough interest and arrange for someone to make more of them.
The maximum speed is more about drag and while I don’t have a 914 it is perhaps worth a mention that when I set it up for a cruise decent of 250 ft a minute, put the propeller to manual and coursen it up to produce 4800 RPM I get 155 kts which is a whisker off 180mph (test done with two opposite direction runs on the GPS). This is a reasonable test because you are beginning to hit a wall of drag. It can go a bit faster in this mode as there is a little spare boost below 4000ft but I am reluctant to fly without a margin below Vne.
I also flew with Ivan Shaw in formation. He was on our starboard wing in another Europa. When we throttled right back for the decent he commented that he was having to use a significant amount of throttle to keep up.
I know this is all not very scientific but it does appear that, with no speed kit, our fairings make us slippier than most.

I am happy to do more scientific tests if someone can say what. I am still trying to get 73 and the first stage of 74 signed off. I have done the work but the inspector is indisposed.

Safe flying to all.

Justin

Justin Kennedy G-ZTED Classic Monowheel 912S Airmaster with Warp Drive blades

Flying Story
I am having loads of fun with mine.
The Europa is a great aircraft and it keeps coming up with extra thrills. I was flying from Scotland to Belfast City in the Spring. Flying South over the Mull of Kintyre with tail wind of 55kts at 8000ft. I started out across the Irish Sea with 140 kts indicated, corrected for height that would be around 150kt plus. The 55kt tail wind made the GPS ground speed 206 kts. I calculated that I had better start my cruise decent if I was to enter Belfast Loch at 2000ft. I had to throttle back a bit but the GPS ground speed gave 215kts for the first part of the decent which is a whopping 247 mph. Does that count as a dive to Vne? Not quite. It is alright for those used to it but as a lowly PPL the map features on the East coast of Ireland did not hang around long enough to be identified. I nearly missed Belfast City altogether. I had to climb again to slow up and had to side slip on the approach as I had a lot of height to lose. All very untidy but within limits. The wind was 25kts about 10 degrees off the runway which I find the Europa quite likes and I landed taxied in taildragger style taking care not to get blown over (propellers costing what they do). I turned into wind rolled to halt and shut down.
Wow!
The radar controller met me on the stairs up to flight briefing. He said they had watched me all the way down the coast and were more than surprised at the tiny little white dot that appeared on the approach. All on 18 litres an hour I told him.
I can’t get enough of this stuff.
JK
===

[quote][b]

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi I've and all,

Love the flying story!
I've had my happy misunderstandings too: Between Kokkola and Ivalo, my home base was a large area with very low cloud, impossible to fly through. But over the top looked quit possible, FL110 as max. reported.
So i left Kokkola and kept climbing, a bit longer on the turbo as usual. It brought me through FL95, the top of the TMA in less then 5 minutes, so i reported area out to Kokkola tower. He told me wrong, i was only 5 NM from the tower, and his TMA is 30 NM across. I had to explain that i was out on top Smile There is probably not much GA traffic that climbs out on top. Asked and got permission for class Charley up to FL125. Cruise at 65 % power 135 knots indicated, 17 L/h, and 150-155 on the GPS. There was no wind. It got me home all right, would not have been possible with the C172 Smile

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Monowheel Speed Kit Reply with quote

Justin
who's your inspector? Have you talked to Bob Gardiner at Cumbernauld
(Bridge of Weir) ? Experienced composite inspector.
01505 613327
Graham

Justin Kennedy wrote:
Quote:
Hi All

We made our own speed kit consisting only of outrigger fairings and wing
root fairings. While both are unlike the normal ones we felt the wing
fairings made the biggest difference. We have no other speed kit
elements, even the tail wheel is naked.

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

<<Closing off the gills would be the first thing (they add no value to the
plane). >>

I tried that.
It made no difference to CHT, oil or water temps. But why would it; those
systems are cooled independently to what goes on under the cowl.

However, (with the 912S air shroud fitted) the cylinder wall temperatures
went up SUBSTANTIALLY. So much so that I could easily believe that on a hot
day and an extended full power climbout they would quickly exceed the
maximum permitted (190C). Fortunately, I never experienced that
configuration before finding out this.

By closing the gills, 'competition' for cowl exit area is increased.

On the other hand, the temparature of the alternator regultator didn't seem
to be affected at all.

Duncan Mcf.
---

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

My gills are closed, and while i don't have "before" experience, i can confirm it is the cowl air exit that is restricting airflow. I have my OAT probe in the air-inlet box, and it sees warm air, ,where it should only get air from the NACA vent. I have the Singleton firewall, which probably reduces outlet area more then the factory metal one. Temperatures are withing range now, but no real hot weather experience yet. Have a 914 with a shroud!
The next thing i would like to try is to partially or completely close off the original air-inlet openings, to reduce the amount of competing air on the outlet. Comments please!

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Hi! Jos
Herewith the picture of a "splash" copy of Peter Kembers Mod for the
cowl inlet ducts which Ivor Phillips kindly produced for me.
The only beef I have at present is the tendency to overheat on a delayed
departure, but many people advise this will ease by about 50 hours on
the clock.
In the short term I'm considering "jacking" the lower cowl fixings off
the fuselage by about 1" as per my previous success with the
Jabiru/Europa Cowl.

All the top cowl gills are closed and I have an insulated "bread box"
(as described by Neville!) on the P1 footwell for the Regulator unit and
the Turbo Servo unit with some cold air bled off the cooling air duct.
In flight I've never seen the temps within the box to be more than 32
deg C with ambients around 22 deg C but without the water and oil check
flaps open on shut down the temps in this box do rise to in the region
of 40 deg C.

Due to my incapability with shifting files about I'm sending on further
pictures re. this message under another separate message !

Hopefully this is constructive help in the cooling debate?

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG
--

G-PTAG_New_Cowl_Rotax_and_Woodcomp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.48 KB
 Viewed:  558 Time(s)

G-PTAG_New_Cowl_Rotax_and_Woodcomp.jpg

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Monowheel speed kit Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
Most helpful, the pictures came through good as well. The change on the bottom cowl certainly looks good. Makes me think: What about doing away with that tunnel altogether, and only have something like a boxed radiator on the bottom? It would bring back the beautiful classic look, probably reduce drag, and still having more air flowing through the radiator(s). Comments please Smile

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: