Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad battery/bad experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne.e(at)grandecom.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

I thought I would pass along to you an experience I've had with Tex-Air Parts in Fort Worth on a Concorde battery I purchased from them. At the beginning of the year I
purchase a Concorde RG25CX for my plane from Tex-Air but didn't use it until May when I went to start the plane. The battery was DOA and I returned it for exchange. They wouldn't exchange it outright but rather I had to buy a new one and they said they would process the credit and send it to me. As of today I still haven't received the credit. Below is an e-mail I sent them on Aug 25th and I'm still waiting for the refund.

I guess what's irritating me is what appears to be their unwillingness to refund my money for a bad battery they sold me. I'm just posting this to give others heads up on where you purchase your items and be sure they will stand behind what they sell.

Here is the e-mail I sent them on Aug 25th.

Also I've noticed that when starting the plane with this battery I get an initial hesitation, like it's having difficulty turning the engine over but when I try the second time it turns over fine. In hindsight I might look at the Odyssey PC925 rather than the Concorde.

Wayne Edgerton N602WT
a little pissed off at Tex-Air

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I WILL FWD YOUR EMAIL TO GENE. HE IS THE ONE THAT KNOWS ABOUT YOUR BATTERY. SORRY YOU ARE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE.

THANKS,
DONNA

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:20 AM
To: texair(at)texair.com
Subject: Return refund

To return credit manager,

On 5/18/07 I returned a Concorde battery RG25CX, see attachment. I purchased the battery from your company for the RV10 that I was building. When I was ready to start my engine on the RV10 it would not start it. The battery was obviously defective somehow right out of the box. So I returned the battery to your store in Fort Worth and purchased another one, which has worked fine. I was told at the time that I would have to pay for the new battery and then would receive credit for the returned battery when it was tested.

After sometime I called into your FW store and asked about the progress of the credit. I was told that there would be a charge of something like $90 to test the battery and I think I had to pay the shipping charge back to the supplier to have it tested. This obviously irritated me and I told the person why don't I just write this experience off to a company with a really bad return policy, but that I would be making a posting to the RV blog about my experience with the battery and your company. I was told to wait and lets see what can be done.

I did wait and nothing happened so I called back in and was told someone in the back had to test it and they had been really busy. I have called in on multiple occasion inquiring on the progress, probably 5 or 6 times, and have been told we're getting close. Let me explain that the money for me is not the issue. The issue is I bought a battery from your company that apparently was defective out of the box and now I'm getting a complete run around on receiving back credit for it. Boy if you think this type of customer service creates customer loyalty, you must have attended the wrong business school.

I believe I've been really patient on this but the patience issue has just about run it's coarse. I thought it only fair to inform you that if something isn't forthcoming on this issue very soon my intentions are to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau regarding your business practices on this type of issue. I intend to also post this same complaint and experience on the RV builders blog.

Again trust me this is not about the monies, hell if I'm building a $250,000 airplane this is small potatoes, but rather that you appear to be jerking me around on a return that should have been an exchange at the time of the return. I was told that it's the battery company that is the problem. Then I would suggest that you drop that line of product from your inventory if you are unable to support it. If you went to a department store and bought an item and then because it was defective took it back, would you accept the explanation that I really can't give you credit until the supplier oks it? I think not. If you take on a product and sell it you have to take responsibility with the customer for that product and you deal with the supplier or at least that's how I always ran my business. I never had a vendor that had that much control over me, it was actually the opposite. If they didn't want to support their product they were gone.

Understand this is not a threat but rather I'm just letting you know in advance what my intentions are so you are not surprised when it occurs.

Wayne Edgerton

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
mritter509(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

Wayne,
I'm using two Odyssey 680PC's and they are working great. They are going on two years of use. Are you going to LOE?

Mark
RV-10/N410MR

<html><div></div></html>
Quote:
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: Bad battery/bad experience
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:18:45 -0500

I thought I would pass along to you an experience I've had with Tex-Air Parts in Fort Worth on a Concorde battery I purchased from them. At the beginning of the year I
purchase a Concorde RG25CX for my plane from Tex-Air but didn't use it until May when I went to start the plane. The battery was DOA and I returned it for exchange. They wouldn't exchange it outright but rather I had to buy a new one and they said they would process the credit and send it to me. As of today I still haven't received the credit. Below is an e-mail I sent them on Aug 25th and I'm still waiting for the refund.

I guess what's irritating me is what appears to be their unwillingness to refund my money for a bad battery they sold me. I'm just posting this to give others heads up on where you purchase your items and be sure they will stand behind what they sell.

Here is the e-mail I sent them on Aug 25th.

Also I've noticed that when starting the plane with this battery I get an initial hesitation, like it's having difficulty turning the engine over but when I try the second time it turns over fine. In hindsight I might look at the Odyssey PC925 rather than the Concorde.

Wayne Edgerton N602WT
a little pissed off at Tex-Air 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I WILL FWD YOUR EMAIL TO GENE.   HE IS THE ONE THAT KNOWS ABOUT YOUR BATTERY. SORRY YOU ARE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE.

THANKS,
DONNA

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:20 AM
To: texair(at)texair.com
Subject: Return refund

To return credit manager,

On 5/18/07 I returned a Concorde battery RG25CX, see attachment. I purchased the battery from your company for the RV10 that I was building. When I was ready to start my engine on the RV10 it would not start it. The battery was obviously defective somehow right out of the box. So I returned the battery to your store in Fort Worth and purchased another one, which has worked fine. I was told at the time that I would have to pay for the new battery and then would receive credit for the returned battery when it was tested.

After sometime I called into your FW store and asked about the progress of the credit. I was told that there would be a charge of something like $90 to test the battery and I think I had to pay the shipping charge back to the supplier to have it tested. This obviously irritated me and I told the person why don't I just write this experience off to a company with a really bad return policy, but that I would be making a posting to the RV blog about my experience with the battery and your company. I was told to wait and lets see what can be done.

I did wait and nothing happened so I called back in and was told someone in the back had to test it and they had been really busy. I have called in on multiple occasion inquiring on the progress, probably 5 or 6 times, and have been told we're getting close. Let me explain that the money for me is not the issue. The issue is I bought a battery from your company that apparently was defective out of the box and now I'm getting a complete run around on receiving back credit for it. Boy if you think this type of customer service creates customer loyalty, you must have attended the wrong business school.

I believe I've been really patient on this but the patience issue has just about run it's coarse. I thought it only fair to inform you that if something isn't forthcoming on this issue very soon my intentions are to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau regarding your business practices on this type of issue. I intend to also post this same complaint and experience on the RV builders blog.

Again trust me this is not about the monies, hell if I'm building a $250,000 airplane this is small potatoes, but rather that you appear to be jerking me around on a return that should have been an exchange at the time of the return. I was told that it's the battery company that is the problem. Then I would suggest that you drop that line of product from your inventory if you are unable to support it. If you went to a department store and bought an item and then because it was defective took it back, would you accept the explanation that I really can't give you credit until the supplier oks it? I think not. If you take on a product and sell it you have to take responsibility with the customer for that product and you deal with the supplier or at least that's how I always ran my business. I never had a vendor that had that much control over me, it was actually the opposite. If they didn't want to support their product they were gone.

Understand this is not a threat but rather I'm just letting you know in advance what my intentions are so you are not surprised when it occurs.

Wayne Edgerton

Quote:

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Make your little one a shining star! Shine on! [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

Looks like you were more patient than I. BBB needs to be advised. This will speak louder for others who look at the Tex-Air company and see that people have complained than anything else.

On a different perspective and this is related to tools. I had a a countersink that broke shortly after using it for the empennage and I wrote Brown tools asking if it was normal. Michael Brown himself took the e-mail, expressed concern, asked for a picture with the writing so he could track the source, than immediately shipped out 2 replacement countersinks (different source). There are great support teams out there and I'm sure using this forum and Tim's site we can steer those behind us in the right direction. Tim has mentioned SteinAir as a resource others other companies.
Pascal

---

scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

The best in this business are Stein Air and Flightline Interiors. If every company could replicate their customer service the world would be in harmony.
You can tell when a supplier loves their job, their product, and the community they sell to. Even though Stein gives me crap about not wearing his t-shirts during prime photo opportunities at Oshkosh, he still is a great supplier.
Van's does a good job too but you really get a personal experience like working with Stein and Abby.
www.steinair.com
http://www.flightlineinteriors.com/

Scott Schmidt
scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.com

---

millstees(at)ameritech.ne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

I would like to second what Scott said about Flightline Interiors. I received the seats for my RV-10, and they had made a mistake on the embroidery. My N number is N750SM, and they sewed N7505M. I called Abbey, and she had the corrected seats back to me inside of a week...no argument. I would pay more for that kind of customer service, but, no need, her prices are very competitive.

Steve Mills N750SM (reserved)
RV-10 40486 Slow-build Eggenfellner E-6T
Naperville, Illinois
Finishing kit
Do Not Archive
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Schmidt
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: Bad battery/bad experience

The best in this business are Stein Air and Flightline Interiors. If every company could replicate their customer service the world would be in harmony.
You can tell when a supplier loves their job, their product, and the community they sell to. Even though Stein gives me crap about not wearing his t-shirts during prime photo opportunities at Oshkosh, he still is a great supplier.
Van's does a good job too but you really get a personal experience like working with Stein and Abby.
www.steinair.com

Scott Schmidt

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 7:35:35 AM
Subject: Re: Bad battery/bad experience

Looks like you were more patient than I. BBB needs to be advised. This will speak louder for others who look at the Tex-Air company and see that people have complained than anything else.

On a different perspective and this is related to tools. I had a a countersink that broke shortly after using it for the empennage and I wrote Brown tools asking if it was normal. Michael Brown himself took the e-mail, expressed concern, asked for a picture with the writing so he could track the source, than immediately shipped out 2 replacement countersinks (different source). There are great support teams out there and I'm sure using this forum and Tim's site we can steer those behind us in the right direction. Tim has mentioned SteinAir as a resource others other companies.
Pascal

---

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

Those SteinAir T-Shirts make great grease rags when lubing bearings,
and doing oil changes. Wink (just had to take that dig at Stein
in hopes that he's monitoring the list today)

Actually, if you want a bit of comment to read on dealing with
dealers, some of it related to Stein, see the off-list reply
below that I sent to another builder inquiring about where
to buy servos. It has some thinking points anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I think you're better calling most any vendor with
the pricing questions. It gives them time to get to know you
and what you may need for the future, and help you decide what
fits you best. Many dealers don't publish their bottom price
on the web, but they'll give them to you as you're building
your avionics packages. Also, Stark, Alex, and SteinAir
have all proven themselves to be great dealers to work
through. Stein especially has proven with that D2AV debacle
that he won't let any customers down. In that particular
case, the people that went through dealers fared better
than those who bought direct. One thing you'll find out
as you buy avionics...dealer relationships are important
to build. There needs to be an understanding of where you
want to go, and they can help you get there in the best
way for you. All of these businesses are very very small in
perspective to the businesses you buy other goods from.
Your business means a lot to them, and they will be trying
hard to satisfy your needs properly. Right now, as you
start buying your AP servos, it's a good time to keep in
mind that you're starting a relationship. Good service
is a two-way street too. When you buy from a dealer,
they'll be very happy to support you. Buy some things
from the mass sellers, like Aircraft Spruce (not that
they're bad), and then just see how good the support is
when you have problems of a technical nature. It doesn't
make a dealer happy when you buy something a discount
Joe's, but then you call them because you can't get it
to work. But, buy that same item from them, and they'll
bend over backwards to make sure you get it working
properly. The dollars you throw at them will come back
to you in the form of support, and considering that you're
not going to be just hauling your plane to the local
avionics guy and handing him a few hundred bucks for
troubleshooting all these little things, you're saving
a fortune by having a good relationship with your
dealer.

As far as Stein goes, I didn't know him from Adam when
I was first buying. I got my servos direct, because I
couldn't imagine that he'd sell them cheaper. And, when
I started looking at avionics, I resisted actually pretty
hard giving him business, because I thought that going
to a dealer was just going to cost me more money than
buying direct or going to ACS. It's actually funny that
I can remember being very cautious talking to him at
first. Turns out he's been invaluable as a dealer, and
turned into a good friend. So yeah, I'm biased for sure,
but the man earned it from me. I would have never
been so happy with my avionics had I gone down my
original path, and not had his guidance along the way.

So yep, call any of the dealers and get to know them,
and then give them your request for quote.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Scott Schmidt wrote:
[quote] The best in this business are Stein Air and Flightline Interiors. If
every company could replicate their customer service the world would be
in harmony.
You can tell when a supplier loves their job, their product, and the
community they sell to. Even though Stein gives me crap about not
wearing his t-shirts during prime photo opportunities at Oshkosh, he
still is a great supplier.
Van's does a good job too but you really get a personal experience
like working with Stein and Abby.
www.steinair.com <http://www.steinair.com>

Scott Schmidt

---

LloydDR(at)wernerco.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

The new color, brown, especially works well when wiping up spilled
resin!

Actually, my wife gets all of my vendor shirts, because they always
order small guy sizes and those of us that are Horizontally challenged
do not fit in those girly man sizes....
Dan
N289DT RV10E

--

bhughes(at)qnsi.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

You mean you are not an FAA standard pilot? How is the Egg doing? Any
data you can share?

Bobby
Do not archive
--

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

Okay Dan, It's been weeks and weeks since OSH '07 and almost months.
Your flyoff hours were done in record time as I remember. Now we are
all interested In the service ceiling, cruise at 8,500 MSL, climb rate
and fuel consumption numbers. Just how is it going or was there a
problem? This is not like you.

John Cox

--

n8vim(at)arrl.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

>Horizontally challenged

Oh no... Don't use a politically correct term containing a word (challenged) that might make someone feel bad...... try this instead:

Gravitationally enhanced! (Hey honey.... I'm enhanced!) Smile

-Jim 40384

do not archive

Lloyd, Daniel R. wrote: [quote] [quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "Lloyd, Daniel R." <LloydDR(at)wernerco.com> (LloydDR(at)wernerco.com) The new color, brown, especially works well when wiping up spilled resin! Actually, my wife gets all of my vendor shirts, because they always order small guy sizes and those of us that are Horizontally challenged do not fit in those girly man sizes.... Dan N289DT RV10E --

LloydDR(at)wernerco.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

I would not have had to build the 10 if I was a standard pilot!! I am
working on getting to that, but with the extra heat I am generating from
the exercise global warming is accelerating!
For the Egg update read my reply to John Cox's message that way I am not
clogging the BW with repeats, and getting flamed by the list police!
Dan
N289DT RV10E Flying and cooling better than expected!

--

LloydDR(at)wernerco.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Bad battery/bad experience Reply with quote

John
I appreciate everyone hanging in there for info on the continued
modifications we are making to the RV10E. As for the fly off hours, I
would remind you of what our Grandmothers taught us, many hands make
light work. We had 5 pilots, a well written test plan, a better designed
engine, one squawk, and allot of Diet Coke and less than 4 days to
accomplish the task to meet our goal of flying to Osh Kosh. The only
mechanical, safety of flight squawk I had to deal with over the second
night was a loose break fitting, that was not readily apparent until we
had to due the several full power hold backs for prop balancing. This
quickly allowed us to see red fluid dripping from the bottom of the
plane, down a gear leg. What it ended up being was a loose NPT fitting
on the parking brake for the right side. Once this was tightened up then
that solved all mechanical stuff. We had and still have a couple of
software config issues, but they are secondary and I will work them out
as we go.

If you go to the Eggenfellner site and click on News you will see what
we have been up to, no jokes about me sweaty and covered in carbon fiber
(at)1am okay? We have designed a new carbon fiber gull wing cowl for the
Egg install. During initial testing we were getting okay cooling, but
like the Lycomings when the outside temp gets high we would step climb.
Jan knew he could overcome this with the proper design and a cowl flap.
With allot of research and trials Jan settled on the current design and
he did a mock up then took a plug from it and made the first production
cowl and flap. Flight testing in 100 degree heat and 85-90% humidity
revealed that we could climb full throttle to 8500 feet without having
to level off for a cool down. The cowl flap is manually controlled right
now, but it will be interfaced into the computer and will automatically
deploy and retract at certain temperatures when it is finalized.

As you know we had been testing my 10 normally aspirated, because we did
not want to put additional heat load until we were sure the cooling
system was good to go. Our preliminary "Non-verified or non-scientific"
numbers on the normally aspirated engine was 130 Knots at 10.5k with
6gph fuel flow, this was throttled back at around 1900 on the prop. For
the next several trips after that we flew at 2400 at 4k and were seeing
150 or so at 11gph. These are consistent numbers, with wheel pants but
without gear leg/ intersection fairings. If the predictions are right,
once we add the fairings, and paint to make it drag less, we should see
around 160 or slightly less, pretty good for normal aspiration and 200HP

Gary has finished the design of the new constant speed controller and we
have tested that and all is working well with it. Jan had to go out of
town for a bit and then he got back last Monday and they were doing the
plug for a Sportsman cowl.

Now that the cooling system/ cowl mods are working so well we are able
to move forward with the Turbo install. This was accomplished late last
week and over the weekend, with flight testing to start ASAP. I will be
back down in Florida later this week to see what the Turbo and higher
altitude flying will do for the performance numbers. My intentions are
to fly from Daytona to Boston and then over to Pittsburgh. Then over the
next week or so I will install the gear leg and intersection fairings,
and move the batteries. During the W&B it was determined we are
significantly lighter on the nose wheel than a Lycoming, and our overall
gross weight is lighter. Jan had planned for this, but I did not want to
believe it and I installed the dual batteries in the typical location. I
will need to move them forward of the Firewall, which will give me a net
54 pound swing. The dual batteries, tray, and contactors weigh 27
pounds, so take that weight away back aft and move it forward of the
spar, I get the shift I want. That is not to say we were out back aft,
but with no fuel, 4 adults and full luggage it was too close, and this
is an easy fix.

As of right now I could not be happier, the plane is performing as
expected with an alternative engine that is under development. We have
proven that even a normally aspirated 200hp engine will fly the RV10,
give great fuel burn rates and be very affordable, and still give
respectable performance. A brand new FWF package for under $25k, and the
ability to install it and be ready to run in under 10 hours is almost to
good to be true but that is what it my install has proven. Now hopefully
the turbo will give us the final push at altitude, but only time and
testing will tell!

Hopefully everyone is now up to date and as soon as I get the turbo
numbers, and up to Tim's place we can run both RV's next to each other
and give everyone a good impressions report for people to make their own
decisions on.
If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me and I would be happy
to spend time talking.
Dan

N289DT RV10E

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: