Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Scrivener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

I'm taking the '52 cross country this week and was wondering what a good TAS is for planning purposes. Assuming I pull the power back to 68%/5 or something similar, what should I plan on for true airspeed at an ALT of 7,000 to 9,000?

Also, what is typically the most efficient cruising altitude for the 52? Obviously there is less drag up higher, but you burn more fuel getting up there.

Thanks!
Mark

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
craig(at)ustek.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

Mark,

When flying cross country in my YAK-52W, I typically fly 70% which is 2050rpm and 29"mp. This yeilds a pretty constant 120-130kts TAS with a fuel flow of 16-18gph at 5-8K feet. ( I have a EI fuel flow wired to a Garmin 430)

Reducing power to 60%, 1820rpm, 27"mp, same altitudes, I get 110-115kts TAS with a fuel flow of 12-14gph.

Hope that helps!

Craig
N90GC

Sent: Tue 10/2/2007 11:51 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Mark Scrivener" <mark_scrivener(at)yahoo.com>

I'm taking the '52 cross country this week and was wondering what a good TAS is for planning purposes. Assuming I pull the power back to 68%/5 or something similar, what should I plan on for true airspeed at an ALT of 7,000 to 9,000?

Also, what is typically the most efficient cruising altitude for the 52? Obviously there is less drag up higher, but you burn more fuel getting up there.

Thanks!
Mark

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=137767#137767

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mark Scrivener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

Thanks Craig.

I guess I was a little optimistic - thinking I would get 130kts TAS and 13gph up at ~9k ft.

No fuel flow meter in my 52, just the stock Russian stuff and a hand held GPS. Quite different from my usual cross country ride with multiple moving maps and at least 2 readouts for everything. Should be fun...

-Mark

brian-1927(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

On Oct 3, 2007, at 3:45 AM, Craig Schneider wrote:

Quote:
Mark,

When flying cross country in my YAK-52W, I typically fly 70% which
is 2050rpm and 29"mp. This yeilds a pretty constant 120-130kts TAS
with a fuel flow of 16-18gph at 5-8K feet. ( I have a EI fuel flow
wired to a Garmin 430)

Reducing power to 60%, 1820rpm, 27"mp, same altitudes, I get
110-115kts TAS with a fuel flow of 12-14gph.

Generally speaking, higher is going to be better. I found the most
efficient altitude for the CJ6A to be 11,000'-12,000'. I would pull
the RPM back to 1850 and use full throttle. Fuel burn was around
11gph with a TAS of about 125kts. I could comfortably fly 3 hour legs
with reserve that way. With tailwinds I have flown a 450nm leg before.

If you are looking for efficiency plan on operating with the throttle
wide open and only make power changes with the prop control (RPM).
The Yak-52, being overpowered, is going to have its most efficient
altitude up higher. Basically you want to climb until your IAS in
cruise is best L/D. That is pretty high. But in order to get best
efficiency you need to stay up there as long as possible in order to
offset the cost of getting up there.

But given the available climb from the Yak-52, I would certainly be
looking to cruise up above 12,000'.
--
Brian Lloyd 3191 Western Drive
brian HYPHEN 1927 AT lloyd DOT com Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PGP key ID: 12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0 CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

A friend of mine cautioned me not to run a 9cyl below 2000 RPM at cruise because of the vibration resonance found in radial engines is transmitted through the airframe at that RPM or lower. I can't remember the airline that changed hands and thought they could save money and extend range with lower RPM's. The airline found out the tails were suffering cracks and needed repaired. When they returned to the 2000 RPM min the crack problem once again disappeared. My friend was maintaince chief for a fleet of radial powered cargo transports flying in the Caribbean islands for years. I trust him and do not operate below 70% for this reason and feel safe than sorry is in order for me, everyone else can do what they want as I am in no way a expert and am only expressing my opinion.

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/3/2007 5:47:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, hdinamic(at)qwest.net writes:

That may have been for a particular aircraft/engine combination. It's not a general rule. We cruise our B-17G at 1800 rpm all the time, there is not 'resonance vibration' (unless the props are out of syncopation). Was that airline "Macky"? If so, they operated out of Miami, Fl. for years. They had mixed fleet of DC-4, DC-3, and C-46s. I've never heard of any of these aircraft having that problem. That airline was quite a "colorful" bunch. Gipsies, nar-do-wells, laid off airlines pilots, or just plain old-fart pilots, run by a real character. I try once to get a job there. Took one look at me and said (honest to God) "Go away kid".

I do believe that Lindbergh taught this during WW2 so as to extend the range of military aircraft. I never heard of a resonance vibration indicative to round engines, though. It is true that the 9 cly Wright 1820 is not as smooth running at the 14 cly P&W-1830 but I never heard of vibration problems in either engine.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "Dale" <hdinamic(at)qwest.net>

A friend of mine cautioned me not to run a 9cyl below 2000 RPM at cruise because of the vibration resonance found in radial engines is transmitted through the airframe at that RPM or lower. I can't remember the airline that changed hands and thought they could save money and extend range with lower RPM's. The airline found out the tails were suffering cracks and needed repaired. When they returned to the 2000 RPM min the crack problem once again disappeared. My friend was maintaince chief for a fleet of radial powered cargo transports flying in the Caribbean islands for years. I trust him and do not operate below 70% for this reason and feel safe than sorry is in order for me, everyone else can do what they want as I am in no way a expert and am only expressing my opinion.

See what's new="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

Dale,
Regardless of what you've heard, the M14P is quite comfortable running at
less than 2000 RPM. If you read the Russian Flight Manual or the M14
Manual, it clearly shows you cruise rpm's at less than 2000 RPM. It is a
proven fact that this engine is designed to run "over square". Not by my
say so. But by the Russian manuals say so. That means running a higher
manifold pressure (ie: 700 MM) and lower RPM (ie: 64%) is most acceptable
for the M14 mounted on a Yak 52. Click on this link. It is right out of
the Russian manual. http://n9tumimypu.win.aplus.net/Power%20Settings.htm
Dennis
---

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

Mark,
Try setting your throttle and pitch over square. Meaning your manifold
pressure is set higher than your prop. Try 65% at 700 mmHg (70 on the dial).
Nominal one is 65% and 650 mmHg if my memory serves correct (been awhile
since I looked at it for the 52). You will see right at 15 gal/hour fuel
burn or 1 liter/min (standard for the M-14). You will see approximately 130
kts/hr for your airspeed. Plan on 150 mi. legs to be safe. You can push it
to 200nm but. Know it is the proverbial frog bumping its' ass cross country
but you are not going to be a statistic for fuel starvation that way either.
The over square throttle setting is just something a few of the old B17
drivers on the field taught us. You get the best fuel economy and cruise A/S
that way.

--

brian-1927(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

On Oct 3, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Dale wrote:

Quote:

A friend of mine cautioned me not to run a 9cyl below 2000 RPM at
cruise because of the vibration resonance found in radial engines
is transmitted through the airframe at that RPM or lower. I can't
remember the airline that changed hands and thought they could save
money and extend range with lower RPM's.

Well, my father flew OS2Us, SBDs, SB2Cs, F6Fs, F8Fs, and the SNB in
the Navy. (He later went on to fly jets but those were the recips he
flew.) He says that they regularly ran very low RPM, i.e. 1800 or so,
when flying long legs from the carrier.

Quote:
The airline found out the tails were suffering cracks and needed
repaired. When they returned to the 2000 RPM min the crack problem
once again disappeared. My friend was maintaince chief for a fleet
of radial powered cargo transports flying in the Caribbean islands
for years. I trust him and do not operate below 70% for this reason
and feel safe than sorry is in order for me, everyone else can do
what they want as I am in no way a expert and am only expressing my
opinion.

It depends on the aircraft and/or engine.

--
Brian Lloyd 3191 Western Drive
brian HYPHEN 1927 AT lloyd DOT com Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PGP key ID: 12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0 CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

Hi Guys

No the airline was a major. I will not argue the point , just telling you what I was told. I am sure you are all correct, just repeating. I remember my friend telling me that it was not a issue in military aircraft as they were not built to be flown like airliners for hundreds of thousand of hours. Or for that matter just a few thousand and thrown away as the Russians like to do. I have a 1947 V35 that Beech didn't bother to put zinc chromate in either thinking it would be gone in the dust in a few years, and they still haven't figured out why the tails fall off ( read the AD13-2002 ) I get a laugh that the Russians bothered to corrosion treat the 52's considering how long they planned to use them ( I know about the alloy they are built with ). I realize the book numbers from the M-14p power settings also and don't remember my friend saying that the radial or any radial for that matter had a "vibration problem" just that the vibration was transmitted through the airframe and best to avoid it. He did own personally two Beech 18's a DC-3, C-47, DC-4, and a A-26, still has his DC-3. I do listen to him and everyone else for that matter. His experience far exceeds mine.

dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: TAS at Alt for Yak52 flight planning Reply with quote

When flying formation cross country with other Yaks/CJs, I'll regularly
run at 1860RPM and 580-600MP. This typically gives me 11Gph fuel burn
even down around 4-5k alt.

Dabear

Roger Kemp wrote:
[quote]

Mark,
Try setting your throttle and pitch over square. Meaning your manifold
pressure is set higher than your prop. Try 65% at 700 mmHg (70 on the dial).
Nominal one is 65% and 650 mmHg if my memory serves correct (been awhile
since I looked at it for the 52). You will see right at 15 gal/hour fuel
burn or 1 liter/min (standard for the M-14). You will see approximately 130
kts/hr for your airspeed. Plan on 150 mi. legs to be safe. You can push it
to 200nm but. Know it is the proverbial frog bumping its' ass cross country
but you are not going to be a statistic for fuel starvation that way either.
The over square throttle setting is just something a few of the old B17
drivers on the field taught us. You get the best fuel economy and cruise A/S
that way.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: