Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tail wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: tail wheels Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have been flying a grove aluminum tail spring for 8 years. Has any body been talking about them, has there been a problem you know of?

John Oakley
Speedster 4 long and short
912ul cap
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: tail wheels Reply with quote

John, I also have the Grove aluminum tailwheel spring on my S5 since May 2000. At first I installed the S5 spring, but found it was too stiff so Robby Grove swapped me for the S4 spring even after I'd drilled it. It is still a bit stiff, but does a good job combined with my Maule Tundra pneumatic tailwheel. About 95 percent of my operations are off of rough fields and it has held up well so far. I do recall one failure though. As I recall the spring broke near the bend and I think that the failure was caused by excessive side-to-side movement, but don't quote me on that. It was several years ago. I wasn't aware that Grove was no longer supplying those springs. Too bad.
Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 365+ TT

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: tail wheels Reply with quote

Deke,
Thanks for the return. There seem to be a handful of us that are using the grove tail spring. All the talk about 3 spring systems has made a few of us edgy. I only knew of one failure and it was on an RV. Just checking, I did use a rubber pad under mine so it would not rub on the metal edge of the mount, I believe that was what caused the RV problem.

Thanks again.
john

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of fox5flyer
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 7:09 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: tail wheels

John, I also have the Grove aluminum tailwheel spring on my S5 since May 2000. At first I installed the S5 spring, but found it was too stiff so Robby Grove swapped me for the S4 spring even after I'd drilled it. It is still a bit stiff, but does a good job combined with my Maule Tundra pneumatic tailwheel. About 95 percent of my operations are off of rough fields and it has held up well so far. I do recall one failure though. As I recall the spring broke near the bend and I think that the failure was caused by excessive side-to-side movement, but don't quote me on that. It was several years ago. I wasn't aware that Grove was no longer supplying those springs. Too bad.

Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 365+ TT

---

avtar412

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: tail wheels Reply with quote

Yes John, I have a grove aluminum tail spring and seems fine. I have mounted mine in a nylon block as I read that some past failure was due to stress cracking caused by the spring rubbing on a mounting bolt. See http://www.sportflight.com/cgi-bin/uploader.pl?action=view&epoch=1072508647 for pictures. John A.

TailSpring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.39 KB
 Viewed:  481 Time(s)

TailSpring.jpg

TailSpring2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.33 KB
 Viewed:  453 Time(s)

TailSpring2.jpg

john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: tail wheels Reply with quote

John A.
Thanks for writing back, and a big thanks for the pictures. I would never
have thought of that. It is a great way to protect the spring and I believe
it is a bit more control over the sway of the gear. I will do that same
thing to mine this winter.

John Oakley
Speedster 4 land and short wings
912ul cap
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: