Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Change problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulsair(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have the Rotax 912 mounted on my Classic IV. I have the engine mount that enables the oil tank to be mounted behind the engine. It really needs to be mounted lower than the engine but there isn't room. I cannot get to the drain plug. I have been changing my oil by removing the tank lid and dumping and cleaning the tank. The engine runs great so I hope I have not damaged it. However, I just read a bunch of stuff that says if you break the seal on the tank you open the system. That means that you have to purge the engine which if you have read it is very complicated. How are you guys changing your oil? If you read the maintenance manual to a "T" and the ROAN information you must purge it. I was thinking about buying one of those quick release fittings for the bottom of the tank but I can't get to it either. This is the last thing I have to do on my yearly condition inspection. Somebody help !!!!!!!!!!! Jeff Columbus, Ohio
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Jeff.
No matter how you change the oil in the tank, you will break the suction and will need to purge properly.
I change the oil and then hook up a compressor to the tank vent at 10 lbs and pull the pressure ball and spring, let it flow until it is clear replace the ball and spring. This is especially helpful if you are using an oil cooler. Even more helpful if you are using an oil cooler and leaded fuel.
John Oakley

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jeff puls
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 2:17 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Oil Change problem

Hi Guys,

I have the Rotax 912 mounted on my Classic IV. I have the engine mount that enables the oil tank to be mounted behind the engine. It really needs to be mounted lower than the engine but there isn't room. I cannot get to the drain plug. I have been changing my oil by removing the tank lid and dumping and cleaning the tank. The engine runs great so I hope I have not damaged it. However, I just read a bunch of stuff that says if you break the seal on the tank you open the system. That means that you have to purge the engine which if you have read it is very complicated. How are you guys changing your oil? If you read the maintenance manual to a "T" and the ROAN information you must purge it. I was thinking about buying one of those quick release fittings for the bottom of the tank but I can't get to it either. This is the last thing I have to do on my yearly condition inspection. Somebody help !!!!!!!!!!! Jeff Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kitfoxpilot(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Question?? why do you have to purge the system after you change the oil from the oil tank? when you remove the oil tank cap there is no pressure till re put the cap back on! am I missing something.

Ray

Quote:
Subject: RE: Kitfox-List: Oil Change problem
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:56:31 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
Jeff.
No matter how you change the oil in the tank, you will break the suction and will need to purge properly.
I change the oil and then hook up a compressor to the tank vent at 10 lbs and pull the pressure ball and spring, let it flow until it is clear replace the ball and spring. This is especially helpful if you are using an oil cooler. Even more helpful if you are using an oil cooler and leaded fuel.
John Oakley

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jeff puls

Hi Guys,

I have the Rotax 912 mounted on my Classic IV. I have the engine mount that enables the oil tank to be mounted behind the engine. It really needs to be mounted lower than the engine but there isn't room. I cannot get to the drain plug. I have been changing my oil by removing the tank lid and dumping and cleaning the tank. The engine runs great so I hope I have not damaged it. However, I just read a bunch of stuff that says if you break the seal on the tank you open the system. That means that you have to purge the engine which if you have read it is very complicated. How are you guys changing your oil? If you read the maintenance manual to a "T" and the ROAN information you must purge it. I was thinking about buying one of those quick release fittings for the bottom of the tank but I can't get to it either. This is the last thing I have to do on my yearly condition inspection. Somebody help !!!!!!!!!!! Jeff Columbus, Ohio
Quote:

arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotmailnews' target='_new'>Try now! [quote][b]

kitfoxpilot(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

I don't think there is a problem, I have the 912uls and I change my oil the same way. I turn the prop by hand to get all the oil to the tank, then take the oil cap off then the tank cover! no purge required! now if you remove the lines to your oil cooler then you will have to purge!

Ray
Quote:
Subject: Kitfox-List: Oil Change problem
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:17:27 -0400

Hi Guys,
Quote:

arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now! [quote][b]

john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Ray,
Its not removing the cap but unporting the suction line. When you drain the oil it also drains part of the suction line. I never noticed a problem when I was doing ti the old way, but, with the note’s out on this, decided to pay attention to them.

John oakley

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RAY Gignac
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: Oil Change problem

Question?? why do you have to purge the system after you change the oil from the oil tank? when you remove the oil tank cap there is no pressure till re put the cap back on! am I missing something.

Ray

Jeff.
John Oakley

Hi Guys,

Quote:
arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-Listp://forums.matronics.com

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotmailnews' target='_new'>Try now!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

kitfoxpilot(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Ah, I see the way you are doing it, I don't remove the oil lines, just remove the tank top and use a syphon tube to remove all the oil. Once I do that, I remove the screen and wipe out the inside of the oil tank! then re-install, add my oil and back in business. This has been the only way I ever did this oil change. Hope I have not screwed anything up.

Ray

Quote:
Subject: RE: Kitfox-List: Oil Change problem
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:29:24 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle19 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
Ray,
Its not removing the cap but unporting the suction line. When you drain the oil it also drains part of the suction line. I never noticed a problem when I was doing ti the old way, but, with the note’s out on this, decided to pay attention to them.

John oakley

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RAY Gignac
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 4:06 PM

Ray

Jeff.
John Oakley

Hi Guys,

I have the Rotax 912 mounted on my Classic IV. I have the engine mount that enables the oil tank to be mounted behind the engine. It really needs to be mounted lower than the engine but there isn't room. I cannot get to the drain plug. I have been changing my oil by removing the tank lid and dumping and cleaning the tank. The engine runs great so I hope I have not damaged it. However, I just read a bunch of stuff that says if you break the seal on the tank you open the system. That means that you have to purge the engine which if you have read it is very complicated. How are you guys changing your oil? If you read the maintenance manual to a "T" and the ROAN information you must purge it. I was thinking about buying one of those quick release fittings for the bottom of the tank but I can't get to it either. This is the last thing I have to do on my yearly condition inspection. Somebody help !!!!!!!!!!! Jeff Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-Listp://forums.matronics.com

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotmailnews' target='_new'>Try now!
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now! [quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

Ray,
There are three times you purge and number 3 says when you left the cap. I read it in a ROAN presentation and SI-018. I agree with you though. Jeff
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

John,
The ROAN bulletin mentioned blowing air and said it could severely damage the engine. I don't know what to think. I know purging by the book stinks! Jeff
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Oil Change problem Reply with quote

No, it makes perfect sense. Thanks.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: