Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shilcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Motor mount Reply with quote

I'm building my motor mount for the corvair engine. I have Zenith drawing #6-YE-1 which seems a little confusing as to which way the engine should be offset. Their note says "offset to the left for lycoming engine" and the drawing shows the thrust line offset to the RIGHT. I'm planning on building a square motor mount,,,,except I will put a 1" spacer between the left hand 2 support arms when located in the fixture. Then when mounted on the airplane WITHOUT the spacers the motor mount will swing ,,,or offset to the Left. Can anyone confirm this is the corect way to offset the motor mount and also does the corvair rotate counter clockwise when setting in the pilots seat,,,,opposite of the Lycomings.

Blue Skies
Bob Unternaehrer
shilocom(at)mcmsys.com (shilocom(at)mcmsys.com)

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
rduns(at)sasktel.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Motor mount Reply with quote

Blue Skies
Bob U

When I built a motor mount for 601HD (Corvair), WW advised that the tray is angled down 1 degree at the nose. The tail of the motor is offset 1/2 degree to the right. I presume these angles were based on his 601XL which is similar tot he 061HD firewall. I have not flown yet so can't confirm whether these numbers work for me but WW has many hours on his 601XL with similar motor mount. I also have other numbers for location of motor mount tray from in front of the firewall if you need them.

Bob D
601HD Corvair
Melfort, SK

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Al Hays

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Motor mount Reply with quote

Bob & Blue Skies,

I believe there will be a difference in offsetting to right or left
depending on direction of prop rotation. Your info makes sense to me
because the Corvair will normally rotate the prop counterclockwise (as
viewed from the cockpit). My experience years ago with Cessnas,
Pipers, and even T-Craft was needing some right rudder under full
takeoff power. They were clockwise rotation on the props. It may be
worth noting that the Corvair can be set up to run clockwise if
preferred or needed.

I'm still a ways off from the motor mount stage since am just starting
fuselage now, but interested for future reference as am sure others
are. I'll probably get my mount from WW unless my welding skills are
much more practiced and improved by then. Thanks.

Al
601XL Corvair
Gore, VA

On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Bob Duns wrote:

[quote] Blue Skies
Bob U

When I built a motor mount for 601HD (Corvair), WW advised that the
tray is angled down 1 degree at the nose.  The tail of the motor is
offset 1/2 degree to the right.  I presume these angles were based on
his 601XL which is similar tot he 061HD firewall.  I have not flown
yet so can't confirm whether these numbers work for me but  WW has
many hours on his 601XL with similar motor mount.  I also have other
numbers for location of motor mount tray from in front of the firewall
if you need them.

Bob D
601HD Corvair
Melfort, SK

> ---

shilcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Motor mount Reply with quote

Talked with ZAC and think I have it straight. The prop is on centerline as shown on the drawings and the rear of the engine mount is shifted as shown on the drawings. The note was confusing me but I think I understand now. I may need some dimensions from some of you who have built their own motor mount or from the WW mount. Bob U.
[quote] ---

shilcom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Motor mount Reply with quote

Bob, What did you use to cowl your corvair. Did you use the WW nose bowl? Anyhow could you give me the dimension from the Prop centerline, horizontally to the top firewall mount. Also the distance vertically from the top firewall mount to the prop centerline and to the Bed mount where it bolts to the motor.

Bob U.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: