Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water/Moisture in Static System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Mersek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Water/Moisture in Static System Reply with quote

RV List,

The glass on my airspeed indicator is fogged up with moisture. I have removed the static line from the back of the instrument and found droplets of water in the line. I'm looking for suggestions on how to dry out the airspeed indicator and removal of water from the system. I have used compressed air to purge out the water droplets through the static lines and put a small wattage heat lamp under the airspeed instrument with no success. I am also concerned this moisture will migrate to my Dynon D10A.

I first noticed the moisture two days after flying through a small rain shower. I have 630 hours on my RV-6 and have flown it through rain showers before, this is the first time I have ever had an issue with moisture/water in the system.

I do not have the Cessna style static water sump collection bottle sold by ACS installed in the static system and am considering installing one.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Larry Mersek
N336RV
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

dale1rv6(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Water/Moisture in Static System Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
I installed that bottle and it solved my problem, which was similar to yours. I put it at the low point in the back, behind the baggage compartment, extended the static line all the way to the bottom of fuselage. The line going from the bottle to the instruments is punched in to protrude an inch inside making it easy to keep any drops from moving forward. Putting that end of the bottle upward would do the same thing, but my connecter broke on that end of the bottle so I turned it into an opportunity. Bottle nipples are fragile. Since I live in South Florida with lots of humidity I also installed two 60 watt light bulbs (wired in series to reduce effective voltage per bulb) under the radio stack and plug them in to wall outlet in the hanger. This keeps the moisture out of my radios, the series wiring reduces the excessive heat a bulb would normally have in this confined area. Prior to this I was getting problems with my transponder after a humid week. No problems since.
Dale
RV6a 935 hrs, Lyc 0-360 A1A, Hartzell
Youtube videos channel name: “lionheart33026”

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Mersek
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 11:45 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Water/Moisture in Static System

RV List,

The glass on my airspeed indicator is fogged up with moisture. I have removed the static line from the back of the instrument and found droplets of water in the line. I'm looking for suggestions on how to dry out the airspeed indicator and removal of water from the system. I have used compressed air to purge out the water droplets through the static lines and put a small wattage heat lamp under the airspeed instrument with no success. I am also concerned this moisture will migrate to my Dynon D10A.

I first noticed the moisture two days after flying through a small rain shower. I have 630 hours on my RV-6 and have flown it through rain showers before, this is the first time I have ever had an issue with moisture/water in the system.

I do not have the Cessna style static water sump collection bottle sold by ACS installed in the static system and am considering installing one.

Larry Mersek

N336RV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Water/Moisture in Static System Reply with quote

Larry Mersek wrote:
Quote:
RV List,

Remove the AS and place it in a box with a 100 watt bulb ..... so that nothing is touching the bulb that will burn. The last is very important.
Quote:

Probably the best option ..... or make your own. Get a plastic "T" that fits your tubing, and glue it into the top of a pill bottle. They seal pretty well. Be sure to label the pill bottle "EXPERIMENTAL" and mount it where it's easily accessible with a 'low spot' at the pill bottle. Wink
Linn
[quote]

Larry Mersek
N336RV

Quote:

[b]

Larry Mersek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Water/Moisture in Static System Reply with quote

Linn,

Thank you for your helpful response, it is much appreciated. I was hoping to purge the moisture without removing the ASI but it looks like I will have to remove it, I like your idea of placing it in a box. The pill bottle is a good idea too!

--Larry
[quote] ---

Larry Mersek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Water/Moisture in Static System Reply with quote

Dale,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I did order the bottle and will install once I get the moisture purged out of the system. Good idea with the light bulbs.

--Larry
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: