Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 propellers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SockPuppet61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: 701 propellers Reply with quote

There's a propeller manufacturer that does an in-flight adjustable propeller. I'm not sure if it's electric or what -- it's not the hydraulic kind requiring oil from the engine.

Maybe more than one manufacturer has such propellers.

Anyone have experience with them? Positive? Negative?

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
shilcom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: 701 propellers Reply with quote

IVO and others do this. IVO had some "growing pains" at first with slip rings and others, but seem to be OK now. Bob U.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dave Nixon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 propellers Reply with quote

For those using the 3300A engine, IVOP is NOT recommended. IVOP is a electric, in-flight adjustable system. My buddy has one on his CH601HDS with a Subaru engine with a Propeller Gear Reduction Unit. His Subaru is water cooled with the radiator hanging out into the slip stream below his cowl. Does not rely on the prop for cooling air.

The IVOP unit, upon closer examination, has no wind generation capability within 12 -14inches from the hub. The propeller base is round and not shaped for air generation. The 3300 A needs that forced air into the cowling for cylinder head cooling especially for ground taxiing. Don't know how it affects other engines needing similar cooling. But Pete from JabiruUSA was quite clear about that during recent engine install workshop.
Dave Nixon
CH601XL
90/90

leo(at)zuehlfield.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: 701 propellers Reply with quote

For the Rotax 912UL my 2 blade Magnum Ivoprop works GREAT. I have a
Rotax radiator mounted inside the unmodified Zenith HDS cowling, behind
the engine and just forward of the firewall. My Rotax oil cooler is
mounted on the front of the engine per Zenith bracket and instructions.
I have to taxi 1/2 mile to the end of the runway from my hangar. On a
100 degree Texas summer day the oil temp gets up to 200 and water temp
to 210 . I am very pleased with the prop.

Leo Gates
N601Z

Dave Nixon wrote:
Quote:

For those using the 3300A engine, IVOP is NOT recommended. IVOP is a electric, in-flight adjustable system. My buddy has one on his CH601HDS with a Subaru engine with a Propeller Gear Reduction Unit. His Subaru is water cooled with the radiator hanging out into the slip stream below his cowl. Does not rely on the prop for cooling air.

The IVOP unit, upon closer examination, has no wind generation capability within 12 -14inches from the hub. The propeller base is round and not shaped for air generation. The 3300 A needs that forced air into the cowling for cylinder head cooling especially for ground taxiing. Don't know how it affects other engines needing similar cooling. But Pete from JabiruUSA was quite clear about that during recent engine install workshop.
Dave Nixon
CH601XL
90/90

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: 701 propellers Reply with quote

I run both the three blade Ivo 76" Magnum series and the three blade 84"Magnum Paddle series blades on my 801 and the blade profile is not anything like you describe. Altho my radiator is under the plane I get plenty of air through my cowling to cool my oil and exhaust system.
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Dave Nixon" <adnasap(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Dave Nixon" <adnasap(at)bellsouth.net>

Dave Nixon
CH601XL
90/90

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php================================================================================================; - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -<======================================================
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: