Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailering a Kolb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolbmark3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

Rick,

You said "The Kolb Mk III came home in a closed truck with wings attached."

What size truck did you use, how did you get the Kolb in and out of the truck, and how much did it cost?

I may need to move my Mark III from NC to MI next month.

Jim Mark III
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Trailering A Kolb Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/22/2007 1:32:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jindoguy(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
So, my recommendation is get a closed trailer. Fold the wings in as the Kolb was designed. Suspend the boom in a very well padded cradle to take the load off the tail wheel.

Guys,

When transporting with wings folded, I assume you are keeping them mounted to the universal joint at the main spar.

What about the outer end of the wing? Do you still utilize the small cross tube that goes through the boom tube, with safety clips, to support the wing? Seems that the weight of the wing, while traveling over bumps, would bend that tube.
Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

See w [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Trailering A Kolb Reply with quote

That's what I used. The fellow from whom I bought the Mk III showed me how to make pins from a clothes hanger that had an extension handle so that I didn't have to stretch to reach in to put them in. I've never seen any bending of the tube, at least none that caused them to bind, or made the cross tube loose in the boom.

Rick

On 10/24/07, WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com (WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com) <WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com (WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com)> wrote:[quote] In a message dated 10/22/2007 1:32:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jindoguy(at)gmail.com (jindoguy(at)gmail.com) writes:
Quote:
So, my recommendation is get a closed trailer. Fold the wings in as the Kolb was designed. Suspend the boom in a very well padded cradle to take the load off the tail wheel.

Guys,

When transporting with wings folded, I assume you are keeping them mounted to the universal joint at the main spar.

What about the outer end of the wing? Do you still utilize the small cross tube that goes through the boom tube, with safety clips, to support the wing? Seems that the weight of the wing, while traveling over bumps, would bend that tube.
Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

See w [quote][b] http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List http://forums.matronics.com [quote][b]

apilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Trailering A Kolb Reply with quote

I thought that the little tube through the fuselage that hold the wings would bend also. I have trailered it 4 times now and it has not bent. One of these days I will build a support because it does not look very strong. Vic in Sacramento
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:37 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Trailering A Kolb

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> In a message dated 10/22/2007 1:32:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jindoguy(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Guys,

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

See w [quote]

://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
cs.com

[b]

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

I brought my MkII home to PA from Northern Wisconsin in a 28' rented U-Haul. And a detour down to Dayton so I ended up with about 1300 miles on it. When I unloaded I hade absoulety NO hanger or trailer rash. Attached are some pictures of how we rigged it.

P5220084.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  816.66 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

P5220084.JPG

P5220086.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  662.56 KB
 Viewed:  542 Time(s)

P5220086.JPG

P5220085.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  845.63 KB
 Viewed:  595 Time(s)

P5220085.JPG

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

For some reason I could only get one image to attach. So here is another one. Wings were hung with foam, carpet and 1" nylon safety straps. Wheels chocked and boom put on a rest.

P5220085.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  845.63 KB
 Viewed:  574 Time(s)

P5220085.JPG

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

Last one. That's me on the left and Dick Neitzel, builder, on the right.

P5220086.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  662.56 KB
 Viewed:  522 Time(s)

P5220086.JPG

Dave Bigelow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

A simple way to take the load off the tail wheel and the wing fold tube when trailering is to put an inner tube between the trailer bed and the leading edges of the wing in the area of the wing fold tube. Tie down the tail wheel to the trailer and then inflate the tube. Inflate the tube enough to remove about half (or a little more) of the weight from the tail wheel. You get a spring effect from the inflated tube and the tailwheel strut, but not enough to bend things. You can put a piece of plastic sheet or a soft piece of fabric between the tube and the LE of the wings to prevent chafing.

This has worked pretty well for me, but I haven't trailed thousands of miles like some on this list have.

gaman(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Trailering a Kolb Reply with quote

Simple is better when it comes to trailering.I have a picture of a support system on Barnstormers for a Firestar under fs 2 w/custom trlr.The smoothest ride in a trailer is the mid point between the trailer axles and the towing unit rear axle.Back it in, anchor the tires and let the aircraft suspension work.Put the tube support in the mid point.It removes all shock loads from the tube.

Dave Bigelow <up_country(at)hotmail.com> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Dave Bigelow"

A simple way to take the load off the tail wheel and the wing fold tube when trailering is to put an inner tube between the trailer bed and the leading edges of the wing in the area of the wing fold tube. Tie down the tail wheel to the trailer and then inflate the tube. Inflate the tube enough to remove about half (or a little [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: