Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Log book translation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Log book translation Reply with quote

Guys,
If your like me your just guessing as to what your Russian engine log books actually say. Yes I know the pages to check to see the total time and the page which has the overhaul cert glued to it. But I wanted to know what all the writing was about. Why was it overhauled before the normal 500 hours? What did the logs say about it's oil consumption? Has it had a prop strike? was it making metal? Was the overhaul a split case overhaul? Are the stamps correct (was the overhaul done in a garage maybe)? Basically what in the hell does all this gibberish (to me) say? I had a ton of questions.

The wife of a very good friend is a Russian, besides being very nice folks they both are very experienced in Russian aviation. She knows the Russian regs., she understands the whys and the wherefores of Russian engine logs. She is doing my logs for me. I commented to her that she might start a service to translate Russian logs for US owners and she agreed to have a go at it. For $50.00 your can get the basic info, for $100.00 you can get every page translated with side notes as to the reason this or that was done. To take advantage of her service you must photo copy the complete log, Fed Ex it to her with a return envelope and your payment. She will translate the logs and return the copied log to you in your prepaid Fed Ex mailer. Her name is Alyona Smit, her email is ohmartoz(at)iinet.net.au (ohmartoz(at)iinet.net.au)
If you contact her she will give you her full Fed Ex address. I would not recommend that you send her your original log books, shit happens, Fed Ex looses stuff, it's simply not worth the chance.

Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
ChangDriver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Log book translation Reply with quote

Doug:

Do you have anybody that can do that for Chinese logs? It would be nice to be able to read CJ logs from their home country.

Craig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Log book translation Reply with quote

Craig,
Not at this time, but I'll see what I can find.
Always Yakin,
Doug
Winkelmann, CFI wrote:

Quote:

Doug:

Do you have anybody that can do that for Chinese logs? It would be nice to be able to read CJ logs from their home country.

Craig

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=142179#142179

jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Log book translation Reply with quote

I'm a subscriber here for a couple years, reading quietly ... focused upon the Nanchang ...though interested, envious, of the talk among you fellas about your airplanes.

I'm formerly a tailhook navy puke and China hand now in Asia though I do not read characters well enough to nail the translations you seek. However, I am surrounded by family with university educations who can do the work.

Likely I can get log books done well and timely and, it can be fun to get involved.

Logistics: It feels easy and straightforward to have the logs scanned to a file and sent to me.

A couple questions so I can get my thought around the work: How many pages in the Chinee logs? Howmany lines a page? This is a guess, I know, though how many log books do you think are the "need or helpful to be translated" group?

I'm gone for a week or so beginning today so I will not answer any reply until week of November 12.

best ...

Melaka Jack

rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Log book translation Reply with quote

Jack,
I am a old hand at poking around in China and like you know lots of
college educated folks who are very able to read and write Mandarin.
But that is only half the requirements, they must also speak aviation in
English, if not you end up with a set of screwball terms and misplaced
tenses which are more confusing than Mandarin itself. Very close to
Pennsylvania Dutch " throw grandpa down the stairs his hat". In log
books it just don't work. If your folks are aviation oriented please
let us know.

Always Yakin,
Doug

jack wrote:

Quote:

I'm a subscriber here for a couple years, reading quietly ... focused upon the Nanchang ...though interested, envious, of the talk among you fellas about your airplanes.

I'm formerly a tailhook navy puke and China hand now in Asia though I do not read characters well enough to nail the translations you seek. However, I am surrounded by family with university educations who can do the work.

Likely I can get log books done well and timely and, it can be fun to get involved.

Logistics: It feels easy and straightforward to have the logs scanned to a file and sent to me.

A couple questions so I can get my thought around the work: How many pages in the Chinee logs? Howmany lines a page? This is a guess, I know, though how many log books do you think are the "need or helpful to be translated" group?

I'm gone for a week or so beginning today so I will not answer any reply until week of November 12.

best ...

Melaka Jack

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=143315#143315

l39parts(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Log book translation Reply with quote

I think you will find that the translator needs to be a pilot or mechanic.  Chinese isn't put together with a prefix, a root, and a suffix like latin languages. It's such a flowery language that the characters will mean one common thing to a non-pilot and something quite different to the technically trained- like the idiograms for butterfly and branch together mean toggle switch. Good luck though.

Quote:
Subject: Re: Log book translation
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:32:33 -0700
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com

--> Yak-List message posted by: "jack" <aihuabao(at)yahoo.com>

best ...

Melaka Jack

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=143315#143315

&========================

Quote:

Boo! Scare away worms, virusee.com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotmailnews' target='_new'>Try now! [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: