Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debrun26(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine Reply with quote

For those who have helped me with the problems I was having with my Subaru engine I would like to say THANK YOU!! I don't know why but it quit dumping oil and the compression came back up. The cutting out that I was experiencing was because I needed to keep the boost on all the time with the throttle body injection.... Bottom line is my plane is performing great and I'm having a blast learning how to fly in it. I apreciate all the help from this Kitfox sight. I have noticed that power off stalls are very fun but power on stalls seem to go into an immediate spin and scare the crap out of me but can be corrected with the right rudder control. I hope to have my solo by next week. Layne Anchorage, Alaska

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
akflyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine Reply with quote

when doing power on stalls, you have to keep the ball centered or she will turn turtle on you. When I first started training in a PA12 it was very forgiving of un-coordinated power on stalls, then I jumped into a 172 and got the surprise of my life when she broke into a spin.

Has your instructor hammered you on accelerated stalls (moose hunter stalls). If not, make sure you insist that you get training on them before the solo. Too many guys bite it up here do to accelerated stalls (I have lost a few good buddies to them).

edit:
were you at the EAA 975 pancake breakfast this spring ? I remember a guy that flew in with... crud, don't remember his name but he was in a silver Mk4..

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine Reply with quote

I trained on a 172 and I just about had to kick the carp ( I know it's a
fish but I'm trying to keep this PG) out of it to get it to spin. Once the
spin started though I found it easy to break with the rudder. To be honest
I never let the spin develop anything past insipid. Flight school rules
were no spins with out an instructor on board.

Now what is a Moose Hunter stall and will it help fill my license??? What
do you mean by accelerated??

Noel

[quote] --

akflyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine Reply with quote

accelerated stall is getting the plane to stall at well over stall speed.. say in a cub or something of that nature that stalls at 40-45.. you think that flying along at 75 or 80 you are safe. You see something on the ground that happens to catch your eye so you bank over and yank it around and fall out of the sky. Put your plane into a nice steep bank and start hauling the stick in your lap slowly tightening your circle, add power to keep the speed up and keep pulling the stick just like you were intently looking at something on the ground. Keep pulling the stick into your lap till you break and fall out of the sky..

A "moose hunter" stall is basically the same, but normally you are un-coordinated as you as stomping on the rudder trying to bring the nose around to so you can keep the "moose" you are looking at in view. Normally guys are low and slow out spotting and we all know what happens when you stall uncoordinated.... you will spin and are to low to recover... alot of the time guys are low enough that they hit the ground at a fairly low speed and survive the impact... only to burn up in the fire afterward. It kills ALOT of guys up here so my instructor hammered the hell out of me on both accelerated stalls and uncoordinated "moose hunter" stalls as he was well aware of the type of flying I would be doing the second he turned me loose to solo (the guy is a genius). I can tell you with a straight face that he saved my life more than once as I was doing exactly what I was trained not to do, and caught it a split second before it broke into a full spin. Had I not know what it felt like (not just "incipient") and had it burned into my brain how to recover with very minimal loss of altitude I bet I would not be typing this right now.

Whew didn't mean to get that long winded, just a subject I don't think gets put across to student pilots the way it should..

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Kitfox 5 w/ sooby NSI engine Reply with quote

Thanks Leonard.

I haven't gotten into tight turns looking for moose...... That doesn't mean
I haven't been looking for moose I just find it easier to fly the plane in a
straight line at a constant altitude. It may also explain why in a country
filthy with moose I have yet to see my first one. Smile

Noel

[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: