Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great place for Kolbs...odd request.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Fellow Kolbers,

At the huge risk of getting all kinds of crap, I'd like to ask this question; What state is just plain wonderful to live in, and fly your Kolb all around? And is also very "affordable".

A little background.......as some of you may remember, I recently moved to my present location, (going on a year now). St. George is in the southwest corner of Utah. The closest big city is Las Vegas. Weather is beyond awesome, hills look exactly like Monument Valley, etc., etc. The problem is the local airport just plain stinks!!
They are NOT experimental friendly. The Airport Security chief is an a..hole, and frankly, I just don't like it.
They cater to propjets, bizjets, and mostly just factory iron. Had I known how rotten the airport is, I wouldn't moved here in the first place.

I miss the little airstrips like Northern Idaho had. (I used to live there a few years ago.) Every small town had a little asphalt strip, and there were lots of small towns. Casual. Beautiful scenery. Lousy cold weather, though!! No more cold long winters.

Since I am planning on retiring as soon as possible (maybe 3-4 years), I want to start looking for a great place to settle to. I like a rural lifestyle with a reasonably big city not too far away. Mild winters, with just a touch of snow, low humidity, and lots of lakes and rivers.

I don't know much about Missouri, but it looks like what I'm after. Lots of green stuff, rolling hills, rivers, etc.
I'm really thinking of buying 10-15 acres and having my own runway, if allowed. (I'm a former general contractor.)

But, do any of you Kolb guys know anything about the airports and such (In or near Missouri)? I like being involved in the local EAA chapters. I think I've pretty much settled on Missouri, but I wonder about the Alabama, Georgia, & Arkansas region. The weather is not too bad, I just don't know specifically where to look.

I really do value your opinions. Please be an advocate for why you like where you are, if you do. I look forward to someday flying my Kolb MkIII to lots and lots of little airstrips, in a state that this provides.

Thanks, Mike Welch

PS. Please, no northern states, guys. Yes, I know, they're beautiful. But too cold. Been there, done that.
PSS. I'm headed to Evergreen, Alabama this Friday. My youngest son, on leave from Afghanistan, is getting married Saturday. I get to look at Alabama on Sunday. Yay! (My distant relatives are from N. Alabama)

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rlaird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Fredricksburg, Texas.... fly year 'round, lots of great scenery (but no
close mountains).
On 10/30/07, Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
[quote]

Fellow Kolbers,

At the huge risk of getting all kinds of crap, I'd like to ask this
question; What state is just plain wonderful to live in, and fly your Kolb
all around? And is also very "affordable".

A little background.......as some of you may remember, I recently moved
to my present location, (going on a year now). St. George is in the
southwest corner of Utah. The closest big city is Las Vegas. Weather is
beyond awesome, hills look exactly like Monument Valley, etc., etc. The
problem is the local airport just plain stinks!!
They are NOT experimental friendly. The Airport Security chief is an
a..hole, and frankly, I just don't like it.
They cater to propjets, bizjets, and mostly just factory iron. Had I
known how rotten the airport is, I wouldn't moved here in the first place

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

North East Tennessee has an awful lot going for it. great scenery, mild
winters, with one or three light snows, mild summers, temps mostly in the
80's, low cost of living, no state income tax, but high sales taxes.
Property is reasonable, and many (not all) small airports are light plane
friendly. There is a lot of EAA activity around Knoxville, but Knowxville is
a traffic nightmare. Morristown, Rogersville, Greenville and Mountain City
all have EAA chapters. There are probably twenty five or more grass strips
within an hour flying time of me, and I fly slow...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
---

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/30/2007 10:12:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
At the huge risk of getting all kinds of crap, I'd like to ask this question; What state is just plain wonderful to live in, and fly your Kolb all around? And is also very "affordable".

How about SC? Check out www.trentonflyers.com.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Mike

1st there is no ideal place. Its either too hot or too cold part of the year
no matter where you live. I live in Michigan in the summer and Florida in
the winter. Michigan has water everywhere. Everything is green all summer
and good flying weather. There are hundreds of LSA and ultralight strips.
Property prices are about the lowest in the nation. Florida is about the
same in the winter and property prices are better now. So there you have it.
Buy a mansion in Michigan for a song and a small place in Florida for the
winter. The total cost will be about the same as one place in other parts of
the country.

Oh yes I'll be selling my place near Lansing, MI with a 1400 ft private
strip and hanger in a year or so. Perfect Kolb strip and hanger. Make me an
offer.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
---

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Welcome to NewZealand. Sounds like you would like it here. Only places that
they get a bit touchy is flying into
international airports. For some reason they like you to announce your
intended arrival time and carry a radio ?
Our aircraft all have ZK numbers a bit like your N numbers but the license
has not gone to the sports aviation license as yours has .Some day those
that dislike our little planes will come to understand that the only enemy
is gravity.Fly where you will and enjoy, their problems and hang ups are not
yours to ponder over.
Quote:
From a fellow Kolb MK111 flyer from down under
{ yet ]---

1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

low humidity,

<snip>

Mike,

That little note rules out Al, GA., MS, LA, and FL. We say it isn't TOO
humid till you have to cut the air with a knife to walk through it...man
I hate the humidity...it makes a balmy 103 degree July seem like
115...(really...not kidding...)

Jeremy

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Mike, I voted with my feet and moved from the Seattle area to SE Kansas. Lots of emergency landing fields, fairly low cost of living, and a decent climate. If you want scenery, wellllll.......

Rick

On 10/31/07, Jeremy Casey <1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.us (1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.us)> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jeremy Casey" <1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.us (1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.us)>

low humidity,

<snip>

Mike,

That little note rules out Al, GA., MS, LA, and FL. We say it isn't TOO

[b]

jb92563

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

How about California?

340+ flyable days a year,
Choose your temperature by your elevation, and location

Dryer warmer south and moister/colder north.

Pick your scenery, Yosemite Park, Mojave Deserts, Big Redwoods, Salt Lakes, Mountains, Pacific Ocean what ever tickles your fancy or just see it all in a day or two flying adventure any time of the year.

Plenty of wide open spaces and places to live.

I was just looking at an airpark community at Lake Riverside, in Riverside county, California. About $80,000 for a lot with airport rights etc.

Like they say in California, if you don't like the weather where you are drive for 1/2 hour and the weather could be entirely different.

You can land where ever you want, just have the right equipment for the airspace and do your normal pilot communication stuff.

Many private fields don't even use radio.

I've been to some of the places you mentioned and frankly wonder how many pilots land in trees every year.....some places seem to have no landable fields with range. I suppose in reality its not as bad as it looks and theres always roads to land on, but first impression seems densely forrested.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

I'm originally from Calif ( Bay Area ) Mediterranean Climate....

But it's gotten pretty crowded there....

Myself , I'd lean towards Oregon....Probably around Eugene....

My .02 cents....
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Minne - sota Land really sucks , Winters too long & too cold
Summers are too hot & too humid...

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Best place to fly, IMHO, would not be in  New England. Lots trees, in the south too many bloody big houses, city gov's that rule against such things, etc etc. Northern is much better but cold in the winter, clouds, fog, and still all those trees! I like New England, don't get me wrong; but the short-sightedness of the people drives me nuts. Stick-in-the-mud thinking, that is. I plan to move, but what I want is (note: "want", not expect to find)

A place where flying is welcomed
grass strip closeby
snow mountain for skiing
coral reef for skindiving
salt water for sailing
maybe 50' pistol range in the backyard; I have that now

Understandably, I'm still looking. may have to revamp my parameters!!
I find it interesting to read all the responses.
good luck to us all,
Russ in CT
do not archive

[quote][b]

purplemoon99(at)bellsouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

I would say You are looking for a high,dry warm,cool, clear, climate,where every body is nice, the days are long and the air is sweet It's called Disneyworld...or, even better , maybe If , and I stress the "IF', you could get Alice to to step out of WonderLand, you could step IN.I don't think she(Alice) would go for the 50' pistol range, but maybe with the right approach she would let you have 1-1/2 rifle rangeand buy you a new Barrett-50 to test out Wouldn't that be better than a old 50' pistol range?? Joe N101HD                     DO not art.
[quote] ---

rlaird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

On 10/31/07, Southern Reflections <purplemoon99(at)bellsouth.net (purplemoon99(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
I would say You are looking for a high,dry warm,cool, clear, climate,where every body is nice, the days are long and the air is sweet

You forgot: calm winds, low density altitude, no thermals, higher percentage of O2 in the air, and alto-cirrus blocking the sun in the early morning and late afternoons.

-- R

[quote][b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
purplemoon99(at)bellsouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

R,between the two of us we may set this lad in the proper direction to relocate.....Joe N101HD                     do not art.
[quote] ---

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

At 07:11 PM 10/30/07 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:

d> Since I am planning on retiring as soon as possible (maybe 3-4 years), I want to start looking for a great place to settle to. I like a rural lifestyle with a reasonably big city not too far away. Mild winters, with just a touch of snow, low humidity, and lots of lakes and rivers.

Quote:

I don't know much about Missouri, but it looks like what I'm after. Lots of green stuff, rolling hills, rivers, etc.
I'm really thinking of buying 10-15 acres and having my own runway, if allowed. (I'm a former general contractor.)

But, do any of you Kolb guys know anything about the airports and such (In or near Missouri)? I like being involved in the local EAA chapters. I think I've pretty much settled on Missouri, but I wonder about the Alabama, Georgia, & Arkansas region. The weather is not too bad, I just don't know specifically where to look.

Mike,

I lived in south eastern Missouri for about ten years. I hangared at
Perryville (K02). I lived close to Jackson. K02 is located in the
Mississippi River bottom. There is a multitude of airports close by in
Missouri and Illinois. I belonged the EAA Chapter 453, located at Painton,
MO. It was a very active chapter, and it met at 2 PM on the third Sunday of
the month. The chapter club house is located at a grass strip next to
Painton, so it was possible to fly to the meetings. All kinds of terrain
within a fifty mile radius.

Cost of living is reasonable, with mild winters. Lots of sunshine all year
around. The only weather down side is an occasional tornado.

So, why am I retired and living in eastern Indiana? A grand daughter.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

do not archive

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Joe (& others?)
Of course I'm looking for Disneyland, or someplace that doesn't exist -- but I can  dreamThe Barrett-50 wouldn't do too good on my range, and tho I've got the neighbors used to .22, .38 and 9mm I don't think they'd like the .50
Not my type of gun anyway. Now the Taurus   'Judge' --

don't arch
50 much. On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Southern Reflections wrote:
[quote] I would say You are looking for a high,dry warm,cool, clear, climate,where every body is nice, the days  are long and the air is sweet It's called Disneyworld...or, even better , maybe If , and I  stress the "IF', you could get Alice to to step out of WonderLand, you could step IN.I don't think she(Alice) would go for the 50' pistol range, but maybe with the right approach she would let you have  1-1/2 rifle rangeand buy  you a new Barrett-50 to test out Wouldn't that be better than a old 50' pistol range??        Joe N101HD                                                                                                                                                     DO not art.
[quote]---

Dave Bigelow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

The climate you are looking for exists at elevations above 2500 feet on the western side of the Island of Hawaii. However, the rest......?

Rex Rodebush

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Next year we're retiring and moving from Ohio to the Missouri Ozarks, about 15-20 miles West of Branson. I grew up in that area and it has everything we want. Just visit different areas on your vacations and check them out.

Rex Rodebush
Building a Mark III X-tra

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Great place for Kolbs...odd request. Reply with quote

Dave
Thanx advice. Been there, and it is great. But still a long walk to
the sea, and where is the ski-lift? Kona is great too.
(Don't want much, do I?)
Russ
do not archive
On Nov 1, 2007, at 1:14 AM, Dave Bigelow wrote:

Quote:

<up_country(at)hotmail.com>

The climate you are looking for exists at elevations above 2500
feet on the western side of the Island of Hawaii. However, the
rest......?

--------
Dave Bigelow
Kamuela, Hawaii
FS2, HKS 700E

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=143084#143084

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: