Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darinh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

What is everyone using to seal the joint between the upper and sides of the boot cowl (cowl bonnet) to the firewall? I did not install any firewall blanket or insulation as I didn't want that on the engine side of the firewall and with the toe box, it was a bit of a paint to get in properly not to mention trying to work around all the penetrations. I do want to "seal" the joint between the upper lip and sides of the boot cowl though and was wondering what is the best material to use?

Thanks guys.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Kaysville, Utah
Vic Baker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

Darinh
I used a piece of the sticky back foam tape (1" x 0.1"). The same stuff
that comes with the kit to seal the windshield. Could not go thicker as I
had already drilled the mounting holes. Have not test flown yet so can't
report on results.
Vic

Vic Baker
S7 912S Warp 95%
Carson City, Nv

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

john(at)leptron.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

Darin,
I used a u shaped rubber seal ( 1/16x3/16x3/Cool inch on the firewall it self,
then a one inch wide foam one sided strip on the cowl. They come together
when the cowl is installed

John Oakley
At Ogden when you want to see it

--

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

At 11:42 AM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
What is everyone using to seal the joint between the upper and sides
of the boot cowl (cowl bonnet) to the firewall?

Well, when I finished this area I took the possibility of fire very
seriously. I did not want a seal that would turn into fumes, then
rapidly disappear when hit by flame, thereby allowing heat into the
cockpit. I therefore built two 45 degree 1/2" by 1/2" flanges which I
riveted onto either side of the firewall. I then filled the space
between the flanges with 3M's intumescent putty. When flamed this
putty expands and chars, sealing the opening against high
temperatures. Since the putty never hardens I re-form it each time I
pull the cowl. Occasionally I replace it altogether. The putty is
used in the construction industry so it is readily available.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

darinh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

Guy,

I to am looking for something that is somewhat fire resistant. I have thought of foam sealing tape but the is definitely not fire resistant and like you said will put off some nasty fumes. I am toying with the idea of making a gasket out of Hi-temp RTV. Basically, the idea is that I would fill the space between the firewall flange and the boot cowl with a fillet of RTV Silicone. To keep the RTV from sticking to the cowl, I will put a layer of packaging tape and wipe a liberal coat of paste wax (mold release) over it. I have used packaging tape and wax many times to serve as a parting material and it works pretty good...I must admit though, I have yet to try this with RTV which is pretty sticky, gooey stuff.

If this works well, I think it will provide a good pliable seal that will stay intact up to about 625 degrees F or so.

Kaysville, Utah
MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

Darin sez:

Quote:
...I am toying with the idea of making a gasket out of Hi-temp
RTV...If this works well, I think it will provide a good pliable
seal that will stay intact up to about 625 degrees F or so.

How much heat can the cowling take?

Mike G.
N728KF
Phoenix, AZ

pwmac(at)sisna.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

You might try the fire sleeving made from for the fuel & oil hoses? The stuff is silicone with good high temp properties. Use some of the stuff cut in strips to fill the inside just enough so it will squeeze and make an air tight seal when the cowl in installed. Make an SS chanel for it to lay in and bond it in place with High temp(red) silicone caulk from the auto store.
What will happpen in the case of an oil of fuel fed fire is the silicone which is only good for around 500F is it will deterioate to its base property which is silica. It will take some time and let you take other actions, like find a landing place. You will not find a flexible material than this stuff that has a higher temp capability. THe effectiveness of any seal is having teh firewall very close to the cowl such that there is a small area for the flane to pass.
One can use the same technique for all the penetrations of the firewall to buy some time.
The answer about the firewall temperature limit is since it is SS it will still be intact after all the fuel or oil is burned off because its melting temp is much higher that the flame temp.
Paul

--------

darinh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

Mike,

I think the answer to your question is pretty obvious...a lot less heat than the firewall or silicone sealant...but, the idea is that since the boot cowl is behind the firewall, it will stay intact longer than the main cowls. I really don't care if the main cowls burn off but I would like to try to seal the cabin as best as possible. I know there is two schools of thought out there 1) don't worry about the penetrations or seals because the fiberglass cowlings will simply burn away and you are screwed, and 2) do your best to seal because it may provide you with those few extra minutes or seconds needed to find a landing spot and get on the ground. Personally, I prefer the second school of thought and I know that in the event of a fire, I will be pretty pissed off at myself if I didn't take the little bit of extra time to seal as best as possible...especially if the fire comes through the joint between the boot cowl and firewall!

Kaysville, Utah
dwparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Cowl to Firewall Seal? Reply with quote

I used "Fiberfax" insulation. You can buy it from Aircraft Spruce (part number 05-02678). I attached it with red high temp RTV. It is very thin so I was able to put it on after I drilled the mounting holes. It is good for 2300 degrees so the boot cowl will go long before this seal.

Dana Parker
Series 7 waiting for FAA approval
N474DP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: