Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am getting a Kolb MK III!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

After a long search for a Kolb Mark III in my price range, I finally found one! Its a 1996 Kolb Mark III with a rotax 503. It also comes with a enclosed trailer! So now I will have the plane and Hangar.

I plan to get it during the thanksgiving holiday. Its a 800 mile 12hr drive Confused Long Drive, But a road trip might be fun!

I have 50 hr private pilot training in a Cessna 150. The lat time i flew was in 1999. So now I am going to just get my SP license for now. I have met all of the requirements except taking the written and practical test.
i just need some lessons to freshen up.

Kolbs website has these specs under the MKIII classic but the specs say there for the MKIII X.

Are these specs correct for the MKIII classic?

Is there any difference in a 1996 and a newer one?
ROTAX 582
Takeoff Distance 150 ft. solo, 200 ft. dual
Rate of Climb 1,000 fpm solo, 800 fpm dual
Cruise Speed: Is it 67 or 77 mph ?

SPECIFICATIONS
Wing Span 30 ft.
Wing Area 160 sq. ft.
Length 24 ft. (same folded)
Height 76 in. (same folded)
Width 82 in. (folded, 2-blade prop)
Gross Weight 850 lbs. normal, 1000 lbs. max.
Fuel Capacity 10 gal.
Load Factor +4g, -2g (limit);+6g, -3g(ultimate)
Stall Speed 38 mph (solo), 41 mph (at) gross weight
Vne 110 mph

Here are some pics of it.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

I thought "minimum engine" for a Mark III was a 582 ???

Nice plane,
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Years ago Kolb advertised the MKIII minimum engine size as a 503, I still
have the literature showing it. Eventually they dropped the 503 as minimum
engine because the MKIII with a 503 had the climb rate of a Cessna 150. If
you live in flat country you will do ok, but if it were mine, I would make I
had the lightest MKIII in the country. Several years ago I flew a MKIII with
a 503, and with myself and the builder aboard, it was ok, but it did not set
the world on fire and the 503 stayed pretty busy. If it were mine, when the
503 comes up for rebuild, upgrade to a 582.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
---

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Before you start worrying about having to change engines for more power, you need to add aileron counter weights to avoid getting aileron flutter. The parts are cheap from TNK and the installation is simple, just call and tell Travis you need a set. Do this before you fly your new plane.
As for the numbers, the only one that leaps out is Vne of the Classic is 10 mph less than the Extra.

Rick

On 10/28/07, Richard Pike < richard(at)bcchapel.org (richard(at)bcchapel.org)> wrote:[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" < richard(at)bcchapel.org (richard(at)bcchapel.org)>

Years ago Kolb advertised the MKIII minimum engine size as a 503, I still
have the literature showing it. Eventually they dropped the 503 as minimum
engine because the MKIII with a 503 had the climb rate of a Cessna 150. If
you live in flat country you will do ok, but if it were mine, I would make I
had the lightest MKIII in the country. Several years ago I flew a MKIII with
a 503, and with myself and the builder aboard, it was ok, but it did not set
the world on fire and the 503 stayed pretty busy. If it were mine, when the
503 comes up for rebuild, upgrade to a 582.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
---

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

I have been flying a MK111 classic for about 8years with a 503. Works very
well.

Tony
Down Under
---

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Have never experienced elevator flutter with my MK111 503. The engine in it at the moment has 350 hours and is run at about 6100 rpm most of the time giving a cruise of 72 mph indicated.I agree with the flat country thing and probably the fact that I operate at sea level helps. One thing I do know is that it will out perform a RANS 12 with the same load under the same conditions with the same engine . I also do some mountain flying and the 503 performs very well. I have never taken it above 6500 ASL.Our local mountains run right to sea level and up past 12365 ft
I run a 3 bladed wooden prop and the MK111 performs very well even with 200 Kgs of flesh filling both seats . I would say even at that weight it out performs a 152 or a piper tomahawk . I would agree that a 503 is minimum ,anything more would be fun and a saving on fuel. Head winds reduce speed really fast and fuel burn can be as much as 23 ltrs per hr { just about 6 US gal} but can also reduce to 17 ltrs per hour in ideal lightly loaded conditions.
Have fun fly it a lot ,you will not be disappointed. remember it is easy to operate any machine that has plenty of power ,it takes expertise to work with minimum power but it will make you a safer and much better pilot. My Kolb is 445 pds empty Mx take off 1050 pbs ,VNE 100mph, best climb/glide 55 mph. If really loaded add 5 mph to approach speed as you will wash plenty of speed off during the flare and you may find that you are running short of elevator authority at lower speeds.
It is a very usable fun plane with a 503 . The speeds I quote are what I consider "safe" it will climb well at 45 mph or aproach at that speed 1 up but you had better be on the ball if that engine so much as hic ups. I would only ever use the slower speeds if needed to come in very short.{ really good disc brakes}

Tony
Down Under
[quote] ---

jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Ditto on the MK3C that I built & flew in 1996, try the engine/plane combo that you spent hard earned money on the way it is 1st.THEN if you don`t like something, change it. The Aileron counterbalances are cheap insurance though. Jim
[quote] ---

grantr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!

I talked with my instructor and he said he has flown a MK III with a 503 and a heavy passenger and it did well.

We are only 400 to 600 feet ASL with flat terrain So I think I will be fine. I will mostly be flying solo and at my weight of 150# the plane should perform well with me in it.

I am looking forward to the trip to get it. I am having to put a 3rd set of tires on my truck. I am on my second set of Cooper tires. Just had them put on in 06 and the sidewalls on all 4 are cracked all the way around the tire close to the rim. I am not going with Cooper again. The tires seem out of round as well. Sometimes the truck shakes like mad and other times it doesn't do it so bad.
So just a heads up don't buy cooper tires!!

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Grant,

Glad to hear you're going to get your Kolb. I drove 16 hours "one way" to go pick up my GlaStar project.

And, as a corollary to the old expression, "TIME SPENT FLYING IS NOT DEDUCTED FROM YOUR LIFE!!", I would like to add:

Neither is "GOING TO GET YOUR AIRPLANE".

Mike Welch

rlaird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

To get my Kolb, 26 hours, one-way from SE Texas to just north of Los Angeles, CA, then back, over Thanksgiving two years ago. You're right, every minute was worth it!

-- Robert

On 11/1/07, Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)>

Grant,

Glad to hear you're going to get your Kolb. I drove 16 hours "one way" to go pick up my GlaStar project.

And, as a corollary to the old expression, "TIME SPENT FLYING IS NOT DEDUCTED FROM YOUR LIFE!!", I would like to add:

Neither is "GOING TO GET YOUR AIRPLANE".

Mike Welch
[b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

I drove both ways from Riverside California to St Pete's Florida and back for a Glider in Trailer in 6 days, including one off day in St Petes prepping the trailer for the journey back....3300 miles total.

I lost 4 hours when a wheel, bearing and axle came apart on the Hwy 10 just after entering Mississipi, about 500 feet before the Information center pull off and 3 miles from a trailer building place.

I replaced the complete axle as a single unit that included bearings and was pregreased.

Got back to the Info center and finished up the repair just as the rain and lightning started......it was a charmed trip with good fortune and weather all the way.

The scenery was great, so I can completely endorse a nice road trip to get an aircraft.....fun and full of anticipation you hardly notice the time and miles slipping by.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Quote:
We are only 400 to 600 feet ASL with flat terrain So I think I will be
fine. I will mostly be flying solo and at my weight of 150# the plane
should perform well with me in it.

I do not want to be an alarmist, but do a weight and balance on it before
you fly it. I used an old weight sheet that I had for a Mark III and a pilot
that only weighed 150 lbs would be too light to fly it. You may have to
weigh down the front to keep the CG within the parameters. I know that
anyone weighing less than 175 cannot fly my firestar. Check and be safe!
Glad that you found what you want.
Larry C

jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

I second Larry`s post, if you are unfamiliar with the MK-3, just about the
time you toch down , when you pull off the last bit of power, the nose will
probably come up, instead of down, maybe put another 100 LBs in the passeger
seat, Then reduce some in the next few landings. Jim
---

apilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Re: Mark III CG........I first flew my Classic with a 33% CG. I do not recommend doing that. Now it is at 28% and is a dream to fly. For intial flights, I recommend a 25% CG and then later go to 28%.
--

grantr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Yes I am excited about the trip!

Thanks for the tip. A tail heavy plane will only fly once!

Yes I plan to check the W/B. I do not know how to check it but I am pretty sure My instructor does as he finished his challenger 2.

I fly radio controlled planes and its easy to check the CG on them you just pick up the plane under the wing spar(25% of the cord) and see if it balances on your finger tips.

I don't think that will be happening with a 400+ pound airplane. LOL Very Happy

Thanks

jb92563

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

That sure is a pretty plane.

As far as doing the CG, its really not hard and merely involves putting a weight scale under each of the wheel and recording the weights and measurements from an arbitrary datum(The nose usually)

Then its just a simple math exercise of multiplying, totaling and deriving the measure from the nose where your plane currently balances.

You can then figure out how much weight you need to add at any point to bring the CG to where you want it.

If you can not find someone that knows how to do it, then I can help describe it by an example or if you give me the weights and measurements do the actual math and show you how its done.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
grantr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Are you talking about just cheap bathroom scales?

Do you weight it sitting on the scales like it sits normally or do you have to raise the tail scale to level the aircraft before weighing?

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/2/2007 9:52:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, grant_richardson25(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
I don't think that will be happening with a 400+ pound airplane. LOL Very Happy

Well, that's how I do it with my Firefly
Steve
Firefly 007/Floats
do not archive

See w [quote][b]

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/2/2007 10:15:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, grant_richardson25(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Are you talking about just cheap bathroom scales?

Most of the bathroom scales that I have tried are too inaccurate for a 400# airplane. The digital ones are ok but:

The weight must be placed on them just right and
They go on and off as you step on or off, it is tricky to set them.
Steve
Firefly 007/Floats
do not archive

See w [quote][b]

a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: I am getting a Kolb MK III!! Reply with quote

Lots of W&B info in Archives.

regards,
Bob N.    FireFly 070 Old Kolb
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/

do not archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: