Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Price of Ownership What does it cost you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Price of Ownership What does it cost you? Reply with quote

My first response would be.... You really don't want to know.

But here is a quick look at an average I've paid over the last 500 hours on my CJ: (Note M14P engine and 3 bladed Prop)

Notes Fixed Costs
Month Year
Hanger
400 4,800 Depends on area ($300-$600) Annual

3,500 First Annual WILL be higher Insurance

3,000 Depends on time and hull ($2,600-$3,800) VA Tax

500 Virginia Annual Property Tax Parachute Repack twice year

240 2 Chutes $60 each for repack

Aprox Costs

Fuel/Gal

Oil/Liter
($580 for 55 Gal Drum of 25W60) Oil Filter
(Highly Recommend Oil Filter system) Air System Filter
(Get refurb kit from Doug)

Hourly Costs
Hour

Fuel (at) 14Gal/Hour
(Cruise 11.5 Gal/Hour to Acro 18Gal/Hour) Oil (at) 1.5 liter/hour

Air Sys Filter/20 hours

Oil Change every 50 hours
(Doesn't include MMO, don't ask Smile ) 17 Liter of Oil 52.70

Oil Filter 10.00

Engine Replacement 20,000.00 13.33

1500 hour replacement 1500

Prop Replacement 11,000.00 7.33

1500 Hour replacement 1500

Nose & Main Gear Actuators 450.00 0.90

Flap Actuators 250 0.50

Replace 500 hours 500

Hourly Costs

Fixed Costs/Hour(at) 75 Hours Year

Fixed & Hourly/Hour

Fixed Costs/Hour (at) 100 Hours Year

Fixed & Hourly/Hour

Fixed Costs/Hour(at) 125 Hours Year

Fixed & Hourly/Hour

This is on the high end I believe and doesn't include things that break. I'd like to know what others are paying for annuals. I'd also like to know how this compares to other owners.

Dabear
Note: Didn't include cost of flight suits, annual donation to Yak List, or RPA membership.

GreasySideUp wrote: [quote]
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "GreasySideUp" <greasysideup(at)hotmail.com> (greasysideup(at)hotmail.com)

I am looking at Yak 50's but would love input from 52/55 and Chang owners as well - I assume costs will be similar.

I'm sitting down this weekend to get a no kidding gnats behind assessment for what this thing is going to cost me, do any of you mind sharing your no kidding expenses down to the smallest thing I'm not thinking of.

In addition what are the best loan and insurance rates you have and who are they through. How much are your typical annuals really costing, what do you do for oil changes (How often, how much oil do these even hold) etc. Also curious about engine and misc mx funds. This will be my first aircraft, I would rather over budget than under budget - it will be much easier giving money back to my wife at the end of the year than asking for more;) Probably looking at 10-15hrs/month until the initial fun wears off then 5 after that. Not much at all during the winter.

Expenses I'm looking at

Loan
Hanger
annual
insurance
misc mx
fuel
oil

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

-j

[b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Price of Ownership What does it cost you? Reply with quote

Answer: Depends... I kinda know but if I took the trouble to add it up, I'd trade for an RV or something like that. If you hold a Commercial or better, some of your expenses are covered by airshows where you can have a good time. My annual inspection costs $150, parts about $1,000, labor is mine, hanger $300/mo, insurance is under $2K but then I'm over 1000 hours in type.

Like lots of other guys, I fly other peoples airplanes too, and get paid a meager sum but don't have nearly as much fun as having a Yak/CJ.

Craig Payne
cpayne(at)joimail.com (cpayne(at)joimail.com)

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Price of Ownership What does it cost you? Reply with quote

You would not sell her! You would give up you right testicle first! Admit
it!
Josh, he is dead on about the 50. Disadvantage, you cannot take anyone up
with you go play but then again....
Doc

--

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of Ownership What does it cost you? Reply with quote

I did a rough cost estimate taking into account fixed and variable expenses when I decided to purchase a CJ. At 100 hours per year, I estimated $162 per hour. My CJ has the stock 285 engine and hangars here are $500 to $600 per month. There is no financing so no interest. This might actually be a bit on the low side but it was close enough.

This compares to the local rental rate for a Cessna 182 with G-1000 equipment ($165). What would you rather fly?? I bought the CJ!!

Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: