Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esqual v Lightning Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

I read the 2003 EAA article, that someone posted the link too, about he Esqual. If I remember correctly, it says that you can get it in either fiber glass or carbon fiber and that the carbon fiber model was about 60 lbs. lighter. Does anyone know why Arion decided not to go with the carbon fiber with their design?

Thanks,
Rick

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/3/2007 3:54:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rickss(at)verizon.net writes:
Quote:

I read the 2003 EAA article, that someone posted the link too, about he Esqual. If I remember correctly, it says that you can get it in either fiber glass or carbon fiber and that the carbon fiber model was about 60 lbs. lighter. Does anyone know why Arion decided not to go with the carbon fiber with their design?

Thanks,
Rick

While I dont recall the numbers, the carbon Fiber Esqual was substantually more money for a weight savings of 60 lbs. They only sold a few of them. We all agreed it was not worth the money.

The Lightning uses a small amount of carbon glass around the spar.

The Lightning molders are using some state of the art techniques that result in a lighter composit using cheaper materials that are easier to work with.

The carbon mat is rather unreasonably priced. I would guess that to do all carbon would nearly double the cost of the kit and save only 30-50 lbs.

Just my opinion.

Doug Koenigsberg

See [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pequeajim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

I can't speak for Arion, but my guess is that the weight savings vs. the cost were prohibitive of going with CF over just glass. They do use CF in stratagic parts of their design tho...

On 11/3/07, rickss <rickss(at)verizon.net (rickss(at)verizon.net)> wrote: [quote]--> Lightning-List message posted by: "rickss" <rickss(at)verizon.net (rickss(at)verizon.net)>

Thanks,
Rick

--------
Cherokee driver, but feeling the need for speed!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=143610#143610 [quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

Doug is right on about the cost vs. weight savings. For a 60 pound weight savings the carbon fiber Esqual was 5 to 6 thousand dollars more depending on the EURO exchange rate at the time. Now it would probably be even more since the Euro is stronger and carbon fiber cost continue to go up as well. Plus carbon fiber material is kind of hard to get.  It just is not worth that kind of cost for the type of sport aviation mission we have.
Blue skies,
Buz

See [quote][b]

Clive J

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Carbon versus Glass Reply with quote

I just weighed my glass Esqual a few weeks ago. 325 kgs, 716 lbs. The only carbon version I know of weighed in at more than that. Had a few toys in but I have a set of old analogue instruments so I figure it was actually a heavier airframe. The cost difference was £4k 4 years ago.

I was talking with the Dyn Aero Ban Bi distributor in the UK and he said that Boeing and the airlines are buying up all the carbon that is being produced which is driving the price up.

The original weight of the Esqual in my build manual is stated at 275 kgs, this was when they met the 450 kgs MAUW required to be ULM aircraft. I do wonder where the extra 50 kgs comes from. The basic airframe doesn't have a big parts count so where did all the extra get added in?

Maybe Pete figured it out when he developed the Lightning in a similar concept?

I have to say when lifting them the wings feel a lot heavier than I would have thought they were going to be.......
Regards, Clive

Clive J

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Date error Reply with quote

Just noticed I renamed the picture wrongly should be October 18

rickss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, everyone. The prohibitive cost explanations do make since.

That sure is a pretty airplane, Clive!

-Rick

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

Hey Cherokee driver Rick,
Don't know where you live, but you should consider at trip to Tennessee to fly the demo Lightning (or to one of their several dealers). Or if you are near Virginia, give me a shout and I will get you up in my modified Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff) - it is very close to the Lightning in terms of how it flies and performance. If all you have ever flown is Pipers and Cessnas you are in for a real treat. Sport aircraft like the Lightning are a ball to fly. The control response and stick feel is amazing, not to mention the performance on such low fuel burns.  You will love it.
Blue Skies,
Buz

See what's new at [quote][b]

rickss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

Hey Buz,

I am in Virginia, based at CJR and would love to see your airplane. I did a short demo of a Lightning about a month ago at Green Landings and really enjoyed it. Where are you based?

-Rick

quote="N1BZRich(at)aol.com"]Hey Cherokee driver Rick,
Don't know where you live, but you should consider at trip to Tennessee to fly the demo Lightning (or to one of their several dealers). Or if you are near Virginia, give me a shout and I will get you up in my modified Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff) - it is very close to the Lightning in terms of how it flies and performance. If all you have ever flown is Pipers and Cessnas you are in for a real treat. Sport aircraft like the Lightning are a ball to fly. The control response and stick feel is amazing, not to mention the performance on such low fuel burns.� You will love it.
Blue Skies,
Buz

See what's new at
Quote:
[b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

Rick,
I live in Williamsburg and normally keep the Esqual here at JGG, but this weekend I brought my Cub up from Franklin (FKN), so the Esqual is in my hangar there. Depending on when you come down, we can meet at either place. Just let me know when you want to drop by.
Blue Skies,
Buz

See what's new at [quote][b]

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Esqual v Lightning Question Reply with quote

As was mentioned before ...with companys like boeing and airbus buying it all up it is hard to get , and the stuff we do get is very expensive.....So we do not see the need for it except in a few areas, it could be done but would be past along to you the builder and right now at a cost of 15-20K maybe....

Nick
Arion Aircraft

Jim Langley <pequeajim(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote]I can't speak for Arion, but my guess is that the weight savings vs. the cost were prohibitive of going with CF over just glass. They do use CF in stratagic parts of their design tho...

On 11/3/07, rickss <rickss(at)verizon.net (rickss(at)verizon.net)> wrote: [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: