Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with level flight attitude for Mark II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Hi guys. I am trying to do my weight and balance today for my Mark II. I don't have any information on what the level flight is. We leveled up the horizontal stabilizer. I've attached a picture.

Any information (very soon) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cristal

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

LevelFlightKolbMarkII.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.08 KB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

LevelFlightKolbMarkII.jpg

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/27/2007 11:36:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, cristalclearwaters(at)juno.com writes:
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com//files/levelflightkolbmarkii_177.jpg

it should be 9 degrees angle of wing cord on a kolb

See what's ne [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

possums(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

At 11:35 AM 10/27/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

<cristalclearwaters(at)juno.com>

Hi guys. I am trying to do my weight and balance today for my Mark
II. I don't have any information on what the level flight is. We
leveled up the horizontal stabilizer. I've attached a picture.

Any information (very soon) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Here's an old drawing.

weight.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.51 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

weight.jpg

jb92563

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

That small attitude difference will not make a difference big enough to measure on your scales I think, unless you are using a very precise scale.

Don't take my work for it though, simply measure it both ways and see if you can register a difference on your scales.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Ray, it's pretty a simple trig problem to see that measuring the W & B in the landed configuration will be inches off. Really bad advice on your part. Do it on your own plane if you like, but don't advise someone else to do it.

Rick

On 11/2/07, jb92563 <jb92563(at)yahoo.com (jb92563(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "jb92563" <jb92563(at)yahoo.com (jb92563(at)yahoo.com)>

That small attitude difference will not make a difference big enough to measure on your scales I think, unless you are using a very precise scale.

Don't take my work for it though, simply measure it both ways and see if you can register a difference on your scales.

--------
Ray
Riverside County, CA

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

[b]

jb92563

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Hey Rick,

I did advise them to do it both ways and satisfy themself(not take my word for it).

However, what is it you are telling me about the "CG being aft" in the ground position, (similar to a climb attitude)?

If what you say is true then it means that initiating a climb attitude makes your CG go aft and would be rather alarming if true.... right?

That implies that upon initiating a steep climb the CG goes way aft and SHOULD result in uncontrolable spin as the CG goes beyond the aft limit.

We all know that CG does NOT change from a simple pitch change...right?!

How many of us are spinning in on takeoff?

So there is something else going on here....and I am going to illustrate with an example as soon as I can so people can understand what I am telling them.

Perhaps they are not using one of the correct methods for determining CG, but I'll straighten that out with my example.

People can then choose to use which ever method they feel most comforatable with.

They should all continue to use the W&B method THEY have proven works for them and their particular aircraft.

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Ray

The CG does shift aft when in a climb and with the tail on the ground, just
denying that fact doesn't change anything. Anyone that has ever lifted the
tail of their airplane knows that the tail is lighter when lifted to the
specified W&B position. Lift it high enough and the tail will keep on going.
Now maybe where ever your head is at it doesn't do that but it does here in
the Midwest. The CG ranges are calculated based on a specific attitude. If
they were calculated with the tail wheel on the ground they would be
different. The CG ranges are given with the idea that the plane will be
flown in allot of flight attitudes and not get us in trouble. You can do
your weight and balance your way but please don't try to advise others this
way. Also please if you do your W&B your way don't take anyone up in your
plane or fly over populated areas.

It is obvious you think you know more than than everyone else and that is
fine. Just keep it to yourself and keep flying. Some day when the grim
reaper comes calling your bad advise will stop once and for all.

As usual this is just my opinion and worth what was paid for it.

Do not archive

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

Possums

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

At 04:15 PM 11/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

<NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net>

Ray

The CG does shift aft when in a climb and with the tail on the
ground, just denying that fact doesn't change anything. Anyone that
has ever lifted the tail of their airplane knows that the tail is
lighter when lifted to the specified W&B position. Lift it high
enough and the tail will keep on going. Now maybe where ever your
head is at it doesn't do that but it does here in the Midwest. The
CG ranges are calculated based on a specific attitude. If they were
calculated with the tail wheel on the ground they would be
different. The CG ranges are given with the idea that the plane will
be flown in allot of flight attitudes and not get us in trouble. You
can do your weight and balance your way but please don't try to
advise others this way. Also please if you do your W&B your way
don't take anyone up in your plane or fly over populated areas.

Here are the "old" instructions, again.

weight.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.51 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

weight.jpg

weight2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.55 KB
 Viewed:  534 Time(s)

weight2.jpg

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Weeeeel, this is MY opinion and everyone is welcome to ignore it. CG does NOT change unless weights are shifted on or within the airplane. IMHO it is a constant, when  in  the air! --  unless you move baggage, lean way forward, shift weight around. In any  case the aircraft's ATTITUDE will  not move the CG, has nothing to do with it.
This is a serious and potentially dangerous area. if you're confused, forget the amateur experts and consult a knowledgable person. May take some work to find one but your life is worth it. Ignore any advice that sounds questionable.
IMHO; feel free to ignore if you wish.
Russ Kinne
On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:15 PM, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard & Martha Neilsen" <NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net (NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net)>
Ray
The CG does shift aft when in a climb and with the tail on the ground, just denying that fact doesn't change anything. Anyone that has ever lifted the tail of their airplane knows that the tail is lighter when lifted to the specified W&B position. Lift it high enough and the tail will keep on going. Now maybe where ever your head is at it doesn't do that but it does here in the Midwest. The CG ranges are calculated based on a specific attitude. If they were calculated with the tail wheel on the ground they would be different. The CG ranges are given with the idea that the plane will be flown in allot of flight attitudes and not get us in trouble. You can do your weight and balance your way but please don't try to advise others this way. Also please if you do your W&B your way don't take anyone up in your plane or fly over populated areas.
It is obvious you think you know more than than everyone else and that is fine.  Just keep it to yourself and keep flying. Some day when the grim reaper comes calling your bad advise will stop once and for all.
Do not archive
Rick Neilsen
---

ropermike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

For what its worth, i weighed my MKll tailwheel on the ground and elevated 2'. It weighed 5lbs less elevated and the mains weighed 2.5 lbs more. I used the elevated weight for my weight and balance....Mike

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

"CG does NOT change unless weights are shifted on or within the airplane. IMHO it is a constant, when� in� the air!"

Absolutely correct Rick! Not just your opinion, but solid irrefutable physics. Unless mass is moved, added, or subtracted, the CG of the plane does not change. This is true on the ground and in the air.

The distribution of weight on the scales and therefore the calculation of C.G. with respect to a datum does change with attitude on the ground. One can choose any attitude one wants with a new design to measure this position and verify limits with flight testing. The important thing is that (once the testing is done and limits set) all those thereafter make their measurements in the exact same manner.

Builders use different tire & wheel sizes, custom landing gear, short tail springs etc to costomize their craft. Because of this. using the wing bottom at a set angle to level makes for a much more repeatable process than taxi attitude. This lets us all benefit from the flight testing done by the initial designers. Doing it any other way puts the EXPERIMENT back into EXPERIMENTAL.

Fly safe!

johnjoyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Of course those who have replied that the CG does not change with attitude are right ! Those who have (correctly) observed that the tail weight changes as you lift the tail are getting confused -it does not mean that the CG is moving!
The weight and balance check should be done with the lower wing surface set at 9 degrees to the horizontal. On my machine, the tailwheel is 9 inches off the ground to achieve this.
What would be MUCH MORE INTERESTING is what other MkII owners use for the position of the Pilot/passenger CG,, as it makes a big difference in the calculation. Previous owners of my plane have used a figure of 4 inches forward if datum (the front wing edge), but I reckon it is more like 2 inches. Are there any other opinions?
Interestingly, in the UK, the CG range allowed by the powers-that-be is much lower than in the Kolb manual, 16.8 to 24 inches aft of datum. When flying solo, it is necessary for even a heavyweight pilot like me to add ballast weight of 6kg in the nose ahead of the pedals.

1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

<snip>
What would be MUCH MORE INTERESTING is what other MkII owners use for
the position of the Pilot/passenger CG,, as it makes a big difference in
the calculation. Previous owners of my plane have used a figure of 4
inches forward if datum (the front wing edge), but I reckon it is more
like 2 inches. Are there any other opinions?
<snip>

One option is to use the exact position of the pilot CG for the calcs.
The easiest way is to do a weight with the pilot sitting in the plane.
Assuming you have already done the EMPTY weighing and calculated the CG
you can work the whole "weight x arm = moment" thing in reverse, since
you have the empty CG and then you get the CG with the pilot in the
plane (from weighing) that can be extrapolated out since you know the
change in CG position and the weight of the pilot...just solve for the
ARM.

I hope that is clear as mud...would have to dig up an example to explain
further...

Jeremy

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Let me add my 2 cents worth.... before you start you know it is worth what
it cost.
Basically in an aircraft we are concerned with the cg in the for and aft
position.... you could also figure it in a top to bottom,, and a left to
right moment...... that would give you the center of mass for the plane as
a whole.....

Now unless there is movement on fuel in the tank,,,, or people or objects
move while in flight,,,, the Center of Mass will not move....
Now lifting the tail plot...
Lifting the tail will change the weight of the tail, only because the
center of mass has changed reference in relation to the wheels... and if
you lift the tail high enough that the center of mass moves in front of the
wheel axels.... the tail will show a negative weight,,, the center of mass
of the plane has not moved, only the relationship with other members , the
wheels for example, has moved....

Ok the question comes up... why do we have to have the plane at the
correct attitude when measuring the cg.... let me over emphasize with the
following examples....

1: plane in the proper attitude and the cg is at 21 inches from the leading
edge.... the center of mass cg would line up with say the top center of
the fuel cap.... draw a vertical line from the fuel cap to the bottom of the
wing and will intersect at 31 % of the wing cord..... all ok!!!!

2 same plane,,,, rotate the nose down till the nose cone touches the
ground:
The center of mass has not moved,,,, but if you draw a vertical line from
the center of the fuel cap to the bottom of the wing it may be at 85% of
the wing cord ok or not ok!!!!

3: pitch the nose up.... again the center of mass has not moved.... and
draw a vertical line from the fuel cap to the wing..... it may be exactly
at the leading edge... or 0% of wing cord..... again ok or not ok!!!!
Or are the examples 2 and 3 ok or not!!!! The center of mass has not
moved.... the plane would be safe.... but if the manufacture instructs
that the wing cord % cg limits should be from x to y if measured at z
angle.... then follow the instructions and you will know that it is within
limits... it is a paperwork issue....

Now if the manufacture changed the angle... he would also have to change the
limits of the % of wing cord at that angle. Rotate it too far... say 90
Deg.. and you could not get results that are helpful.

If you do the cg work according to the plans the results are predictable...
if you come up with your own angles say tail wheel on the ground,,, or
the bottom of the wing level... you will have to come up with your own
limits that are acceptable in % wing cord... and do the testing to make
sure your results are acceptable.... and it can be done... but why reinvent
the wheel.

Ok maybe that has been 3 cents worth....

Boyd

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Ray, It is said a picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps this will help you understand why your idea that it makes no difference the position in which the airplane is weighed is mistaken.
Rather than doing trig problems as I suggested earlier, just look at what happens to the relative position of the datum between setting on the ground and level flight position.
Notice the tailwheel position changes very little.
Look at how the cg of the major components, wing, empenage, pilot, and engine, move.
Now, compare the arm from the datum to the tailwheel contact SHORTENS when you measure it. while setting on the ground. This mismeasurement of the arm is why you will get a total CG that appears to be forward of where it is actually when the airplane is in flight.
Hope this helps.

Rick

On 11/5/07, Russ Kinne < russ(at)rkiphoto.com (russ(at)rkiphoto.com)> wrote:[quote]Weeeeel, this is MY opinion and everyone is welcome to ignore it. CG does NOT change unless weights are shifted on or within the airplane. IMHO it is a constant, when in the air! -- unless you move baggage, lean way forward, shift weight around. In any case the aircraft's ATTITUDE will not move the CG, has nothing to do with it.
This is a serious and potentially dangerous area. if you're confused, forget the amateur experts and consult a knowledgable person. May take some work to find one but your life is worth it. Ignore any advice that sounds questionable.
IMHO; feel free to ignore if you wish.
Russ Kinne

On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:15 PM, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:

[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard & Martha Neilsen" < NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net (NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net)>
Ray
The CG does shift aft when in a climb and with the tail on the ground, just denying that fact doesn't change anything. Anyone that has ever lifted the tail of their airplane knows that the tail is lighter when lifted to the specified W&B position. Lift it high enough and the tail will keep on going. Now maybe where ever your head is at it doesn't do that but it does here in the Midwest. The CG ranges are calculated based on a specific attitude. If they were calculated with the tail wheel on the ground they would be different. The CG ranges are given with the idea that the plane will be flown in allot of flight attitudes and not get us in trouble. You can do your weight and balance your way but please don't try to advise others this way. Also please if you do your W&B your way don't take anyone up in your plane or fly over populated areas.

It is obvious you think you know more than than everyone else and that is fine. Just keep it to yourself and keep flying. Some day when the grim reaper comes calling your bad advise will stop once and for all.
Do not archive
Rick Neilsen
---

Stick_airplane.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.95 KB
 Viewed:  413 Time(s)

Stick_airplane.jpg

henry.voris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Cristal,

If I were in you position I believe I would:

First... I would assume that most of the Kolb flying have had their W&B done according to the manual... So, I'd do my W&B according to the photos that were kindly sent by Brother Possum. Those are photos of the pages of the construction manual, and they show how the Factory expects the W&B to be performed (9 degrees deviation of the bottom of the wing from horizontal, is the expected attitude of the plane...).

Second... To do a W&B balance by the book requires that that you have scales and other measuring devices in position... So... it wouldn't be a big deal to run a second set of measurements with the tailwheel on the ground.

Then you could inform us (your buddies on the list) if there is a significant deviation between the two methods of measurement.

Again... I would expect the factory method and expected CG numbers to be correct. I would do the W&B by the book first… use that data as a baseline, then experiment with other methods...

Good Luck...

Do Not Archive
jb92563

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help with level flight attitude for Mark II Reply with quote

Folks, I'm going to have to concede on this whole point about the attitude not mattering.

I did the calculations and found that it is true that you CAN derive the same CG point no matter what the attitude is, BUT you have to figure out the difference in attitude between the level flight attitude and the angle you are measuring and do a bunch of extra calculations to get the answer.

Its just not worth all that extra math(and potential errors) when you can just block the plane up for level flight attitude and measure it that way and do the plain simple method of weights, arms and moments.

I do agree that simple is the BEST method of doing a weight and balance.

However, the CG does NOT change in flight unless weight is moved, say from fuel burn, a passenger leaving the aircraft, or your bowling ball rolling to the front of the plane.

You Voodoo guys can also lift the hexes and grim reaper curses as I have given in to practical conventional practice in this case.....(even though I was theoretically right Razz )

I do want to thank the contructive comments made by a bunch of you in helping me understand THE POINT of the question!

Now if only I could figure out what the "Level Flight Attitude" of my Ultrastar is....anyone???

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: