Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TRIM Disconnect Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard(at)talbots.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

G’day Everyone,

First let me start this discussion with how I would install manual trim systems in my RV 7 next time. The servos, wiring, relays, stick grips and other associated issues are just not worth the trouble and cost IMO. However, I have the things now so I am going to finish putting them in.

I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft without any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away and cannot be manually returned to an in trim position. My expectation is that it may be possible to catch it in the act and disable the trim system before it manages to get itself to full travel. I believe this is virtually a requirement in the certified world, and I have lost count of the number of aircraft I have flown over the years with electric trim disabled. I want the disconnect on the stick as I feel it may be difficult to find in a hurry if it is elsewhere.

In order to alleviate this issue I propose to fit a “trim disconnect” switch to my Ray Allen G207 switch. To date I have the four momentary push buttons for trim, another button for PTT, another for AP disconnect and a spare momentary switch. I propose to use this for the Trim Disconnect.

The momentary switch is not ideal, as I guess I am going to need to use it to trigger a CB to pop or similar. This adds expense for the cct breaker and the wires running to my stick grip are pretty small (around 24 AWG or smaller) so I am not sure it will work.

My other option is to replace the momentary switch with a miniature toggle from Ray Allen rated at 2A. I could use this to switch the power supply to both motors. I can see this adds failure points.

Has anyone satisfactorily done this previously? What is recommended in this area?

Thanks/Regards
Richard
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Dale Ensing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Richard,
I have the miniature toggle switch for trim disconnect on my stick grip. Works fine other than occasionally hitting the switch unintentionally and turning off power to servo. Have Ray Allen trim servos on two homebuilt airplanes with no run away problems.
Dale Ensing
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Weddington NC
rhdudley1(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
I resonate with your comments about the value of electric trim and switches on the stick grip. I had a couple of Cherokee 235s a couple of decades ago, one with a manual elevator trim by overhead crank, the other with electric elevator trim on the yoke. Both had manual flaps. When I flew the second one with the electric elevator trim, though it worked perfectly well, I found myself using the overhead manual crank for elevator trim. I never found the electric trim useful. The manual flaps were never a problem. When I built my RV-6A, I decided that I would go with manual elevator trim, manual aileron trim and manual flaps. Part of the rationale was the experience with the Cherokees and the rest was independence from the electrical system. At the time, I did not even think of runaway trim. Though I believe that runaway trim is a fairly remote failure in a simple system, I would now make it a consideration. The chance of detecting it in time to hit another switch before it went full throw seems poor. The real benefit of a trim access on the grip versus reaching for a manual trim knob doesn't strike me as worth the complications of multiple speed trim and concern about runaway and its solutions. I find my manual trim to allow delicate adjustment at all airspeeds. Perhaps, those who spend a lot of time at formation flying might find convenience with electric trim. However, in Navy flight training in SNJs in the 50s, we did a lot of formation flying with manual elevator and rudder trim without any related problems.
I have a similar rationale for my manual flaps. They are not electrically dependent and are only used for landing and occasionally for takeoffs.
My only switch on the stick grip is my push-to-talk. I consider that to be essential.
I have read lots of e-mails on this list by folks who want to not only have push-to-talk and trim on the grip, but starter button and ident. That is a lot of stuff to wire, for parts count and reliability concerns.

Best regards,

Richard Dudley
richard(at)talbots.net.au (richard(at)talbots.net.au) wrote:
[quote]
G’day Everyone,

First let me start this discussion with how I would install manual trim systems in my RV 7 next time. The servos, wiring, relays, stick grips and other associated issues are just not worth the trouble and cost IMO. However, I have the things now so I am going to finish putting them in.

I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft without any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away and cannot be manually returned to an in trim position. My expectation is that it may be possible to catch it in the act and disable the trim system before it manages to get itself to full travel. I believe this is virtually a requirement in the certified world, and I have lost count of the number of aircraft I have flown over the years with electric trim disabled. I want the disconnect on the stick as I feel it may be difficult to find in a hurry if it is elsewhere.

In order to alleviate this issue I propose to fit a “trim disconnect” switch to my Ray Allen G207 switch. To date I have the four momentary push buttons for trim, another button for PTT, another for AP disconnect and a spare momentary switch. I propose to use this for the Trim Disconnect.

The momentary switch is not ideal, as I guess I am going to need to use it to trigger a CB to pop or similar. This adds expense for the cct breaker and the wires running to my stick grip are pretty small (around 24 AWG or smaller) so I am not sure it will work.

My other option is to replace the momentary switch with a miniature toggle from Ray Allen rated at 2A. I could use this to switch the power supply to both motors. I can see this adds failure points.

Has anyone satisfactorily done this previously? What is recommended in this area?

Thanks/Regards
Richard
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

[b]

Dave(at)AirCraftersLLC.co

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

I usually recommend a master trim switch. On my plane I used a toggle CB between the flap switch and autopilot master.

Another approach is to use a momentary pushbutton in the ground from the trim switch. Then it takes two fingers to activate trim, and runaway trim is pretty much eliminated since both switches would have to fail simultaneously.

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA
831-722-9141
831-750-0284 CL
www.AirCraftersLLC.com

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dale Ensing
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:54 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: TRIM Disconnect Switch

Richard,
I have the miniature toggle switch for trim disconnect on my stick grip. Works fine other than occasionally hitting the switch unintentionally and turning off power to servo. Have Ray Allen trim servos on two homebuilt airplanes with no run away problems.
Dale Ensing
[quote] ---

khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

On 6-Nov-07, at 3:18 PM, <richard(at)talbots.net.au> <richard(at)talbots.net.au
> wrote:

Quote:
I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft
without any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away
and cannot be manually returned to an in trim position. My
expectation is that it may be possible to catch it in the act and
disable the trim system before it manages to get itself to full
travel. I believe this is virtually a requirement in the certified
world, and I have lost count of the number of aircraft I have flown
over the years with electric trim disabled. I want the disconnect
on the stick as I feel it may be difficult to find in a hurry if it
is elsewhere.

In order to alleviate this issue I propose to fit a “trim
disconnect” switch to my Ray Allen G207 switch. To date I have the
four momentary push buttons for trim, another button for PTT,
another for AP disconnect and a spare momentary switch. I propose
to use this for the Trim Disconnect.

The momentary switch is not ideal, as I guess I am going to need to
use it to trigger a CB to pop or similar. This adds expense for the
cct breaker and the wires running to my stick grip are pretty small
(around 24 AWG or smaller) so I am not sure it will work.

My RV-8 electric trim is wired through a master switch on the side
console, and a momentary disconnect switch on the stick. The trim
power is removed while the momentary switch on the stick is pressed.
If I had a trim runaway, I would press and hold the trim disconnect
switch on the stick, then turn off the master switch on the side
console, then release the momentary switch on the stick.

I also plan to do flight testing to check the stick forces with the
trim at full travel in either direction. If the stick forces were too
high, I would reduce the travel of the trim tab.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8

mprather(at)spro.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Does anyone use a visual or audible indicator for when the trim motor is
running? A steady tone when the motor running wouldn't be too annoying, I
think, and might make it easy to identify a problem. You could use a hall
effect sensor to drive the indicator. I know it's counter to the goal of
making systems simpler, but might be worth it for installations where a
mechanical backup is impractical..
Matt-
Quote:

<khorton01(at)rogers.com>

On 6-Nov-07, at 3:18 PM, <richard(at)talbots.net.au> <richard(at)talbots.net.au
> wrote:

> I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft
> without any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away
> and cannot be manually returned to an in trim position. My
> expectation is that it may be possible to catch it in the act and
> disable the trim system before it manages to get itself to full
> travel. I believe this is virtually a requirement in the certified
> world, and I have lost count of the number of aircraft I have flown
> over the years with electric trim disabled. I want the disconnect
> on the stick as I feel it may be difficult to find in a hurry if it
> is elsewhere.
>
> In order to alleviate this issue I propose to fit a “trim
> disconnect” switch to my Ray Allen G207 switch. To date I have the
> four momentary push buttons for trim, another button for PTT,
> another for AP disconnect and a spare momentary switch. I propose
> to use this for the Trim Disconnect.
>
> The momentary switch is not ideal, as I guess I am going to need to
> use it to trigger a CB to pop or similar. This adds expense for the
> cct breaker and the wires running to my stick grip are pretty small
> (around 24 AWG or smaller) so I am not sure it will work.

My RV-8 electric trim is wired through a master switch on the side
console, and a momentary disconnect switch on the stick. The trim
power is removed while the momentary switch on the stick is pressed.
If I had a trim runaway, I would press and hold the trim disconnect
switch on the stick, then turn off the master switch on the side
console, then release the momentary switch on the stick.

I also plan to do flight testing to check the stick forces with the
trim at full travel in either direction. If the stick forces were too
high, I would reduce the travel of the trim tab.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8

Bob McC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Trim runaway should hopefully be of minor concern for several reasons.

1; The likelihood of it happening is very low. (probably not worth worrying about)

2; Full trim travel in the types of aircraft we are building is generally liveable. i.e. although it may increase the stick forces somewhat the aircraft is still controllable (if it isn't then the trim effectiveness should perhaps be reduced until it is)

3; If you are really paranoid about the possibility, then it is a simple matter to install a DPDT centre off toggle switch in the wiring to the motor (after all the relays, control devices etc) so that in the event the trim does run away, the relays weld etc, you simply reverse this switch to run the trim back to neutral then select the centre off position to totally disconnect and isolate the motor. (this switch, if it becomes your choice, should be spring return to off from the reverse position to make it impossible to leave in the reverse position)

4; Manual trim eliminates even the remotest possibility if you're not otherwise comfortable.

Bob McC

[b]---

Falco #908
(just starting)
rtitsworth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Richard,

If you’re referring to the typical Ray Allen (RAC) electric trim, you’ll note that the only time there is power to the trim servo is when your wiring is commanding a trim movement. So, first off, it is virtually impossible for the servo itself to run-away. Rather, a “run-away” has to be caused by the up-stream wiring. Keep this in mind when designing and constructing your trim circuits. Also therefore, there are several potential approaches to mitigate potential run-away scenarios.
  1. Limit the overall trim such that the plane is still manually controllable at full time.
  2. Think about having two independent trim feeds/buttons (with isolated disconnects). One on each stick, or 1 stick and 1 panel, etc. That way, if one feed fails and causes a runaway, you can disconnect it and then take corrective action with the other.
  3. Some folks have even put a momentary power feed line reversal circuit (button) in the system. Push it and whatever is causing the trim to run one way will automatically cause it to run back the other way. Let go (and disconnect) when it’s in the middle (neutral).
  4. etc

The RAC system’s safety is in it’s inherent simplicity.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of richard(at)talbots.net.au
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 3:19 PM

G’day Everyone,

….I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft without any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away and cannot be manually returned to an in trim position….
[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

At 07:18 AM 11/7/2007 +1100, you wrote:

Quote:
G day Everyone,

First let me start this discussion with how I would install manual trim
systems in my RV 7 next time. The servos, wiring, relays, stick grips and
other associated issues are just not worth the trouble and cost
IMO. However, I have the things now so I am going to finish putting them in.

I am fairly unhappy having an electric trim system in my aircraft without
any manual system as I believe it is at risk of running away and cannot be
manually returned to an in trim position. My expectation is that it may
be possible to catch it in the act and disable the trim system before it
manages to get itself to full travel. I believe this is virtually a
requirement in the certified world, and I have lost count of the number of
aircraft I have flown over the years with electric trim disabled. I want
the disconnect on the stick as I feel it may be difficult to find in a
hurry if it is elsewhere.

In order to alleviate this issue I propose to fit a trim disconnect switch
to my Ray Allen G207 switch. To date I have the four momentary push
buttons for trim, another button for PTT, another for AP disconnect and a
spare momentary switch. I propose to use this for the Trim Disconnect.

The momentary switch is not ideal, as I guess I am going to need to use it
to trigger a CB to pop or similar. This adds expense for the cct breaker
and the wires running to my stick grip are pretty small (around 24 AWG or
smaller) so I am not sure it will work.
My other option is to replace the momentary switch with a miniature toggle
from Ray Allen rated at 2A. I could use this to switch the power supply
to both motors. I can see this adds failure points.
Has anyone satisfactorily done this previously? What is recommended in
this area?

See:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Flight/Trim/AP_Disconnect_B.pdf

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------
( "Problems are the price of progress. )
( Don't bring me anything but trouble. )
( Good news weakens me." )
( -Charles F. Kettering- )

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Runaway trim....I agree with those who point out that the aircraft's maximum trim should still be flyable. But the problem still needs fixing.

I would also like to point out that one should use environmentally-sealed switches for stick-grip trim switches. A sweaty hand on non-sealed switches leads to early failure.

I have worked on a system that used the "watchdog" idea from computers where the trim system has to get a periodic signal from the controller, otherwise the trim actuator resets to some "safe" position. This is trivial to do.

I have also sold plenty of my "True Servo Conversion for MAC/RAC". These seem to be a great way to make the MAC/RAC trim box work like the Cessna trim wheel.

But recently I have doubted the utility of the elevator trim at all. Why bother?

Well...so the pilot won't have to push on the stick constantly. This leads to fatigue. So how about putting a strain gauge on the elevator cable (perhaps near the trim box) and auto-trimming the elevator to remove the force on the stick? Easy to do, and one more pilot distraction eliminated. Anybody want a patent?

"When the Oakies left Oklahoma and moved to California,
it raised the I.Q. of both states."
--Will Rogers

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

And if you have a fast airplane like an RV or Glassair and the stick forces get too high then simply slow down.

I certainly would not bother with another switch.

Frank
RV 7a

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert McCallum
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:06 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: TRIM Disconnect Switch

Trim runaway should hopefully be of minor concern for several reasons.

1; The likelihood of it happening is very low. (probably not worth worrying about)

[b][b]
[/b][/b] [quote][b]

marcausman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

The electric trim on my RV-7 is run by the Vertical Power system. The trim motors are controlled with solid-state switches - no mechanical relays. It provides runaway trim protection (stops the motor) by simply holding down the opposite trim switch, then after 3 seconds it disconnects the trim switches. You can then use the backup switches on the display to return the trim back to a neutral position. There is also a visual indicator when the trim is running, and soon audio as well. And it's all simpler to wire than a conventional system with mechanical relays. Of course it's part of a broader system - you can't buy just the trim alone - but the whole point is to make overall wiring a lot simpler.

DanFM01(at)butter.toast.n

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Quote:
From my reading of aviation magazines, I gather the BIG airplanes often
come with auto-trim systems. It's a good idea but probably already patented

or covered by "prior art".

---

Melvinke(at)coho.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

The Tru-Trak autopilots already offer such an auto-trim function. Works
magnificently.
Kenneth Melvin
RV9A

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Quote:

But recently I have doubted the utility of the elevator trim at all. Why
bother?

Well...so the pilot won't have to push on the stick constantly. This leads
to fatigue. So how about putting a strain gauge on the elevator cable
(perhaps near the trim box) and auto-trimming the elevator to remove the
force on the stick? Easy to do, and one more pilot distraction eliminated.
Anybody want a patent?

Demonstrated this for Lear about 30 years ago.
They had a flight test aircraft fitted with
a pilot pitch effort strain gage. We closed the
loop on stick force and used the servoed trim
system I'd already certified. The pilot held an
AUTO TRIM button on the stick. He would hand-fly
to desired pitch condition and the trim system would
be constantly driving to take force out of the
stick. Worked great, marketing couldn't see enough
demand to justify developing it into a product.

But that was on Lears and 30 years ago, we're working
a whole new market now.

Bob . . .

list(at)toddheffley.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

Way off topic here..

Any time I hear the "patent" word in the midst of real innovators I cringe.

PLEASE look at

"Case Against Patents" on Don Lancaster's WWW.tinaja.com

Then if you want to know how real innovators make money from ideas,
read "Riskdown" on the same site.

todd

Do not archive

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: TRIM Disconnect Switch Reply with quote

At 10:09 PM 11/11/2007 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:

Way off topic here..

Any time I hear the "patent" word in the midst of real innovators I cringe.

PLEASE look at

"Case Against Patents" on Don Lancaster's WWW.tinaja.com

Then if you want to know how real innovators make money from ideas,
read "Riskdown" on the same site.

Agreed. I've had numerous clients bring up the
topic of seeking formalized "protections" of one
kind or another, including patents. I refer them
to the biographies of individuals like Edwin
Armstrong . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Howard_Armstrong

who had a "great idea" but not the resources to
exploit it . . . in particular a high-demand
marketplace. His patent battles ultimately consumed
both his material and spiritual existence.

I always tell my customers that the best way
to "protect their investment" is to vigorously
and skillfully exploit it while working diligently
to be the first to obsolete the present incarnation
of the idea before competition does it for them.

Nowhere has this philosophy been more successfully
practiced than in the computer accessories business.
Had a client in KC seek my help some years ago
on a product that would be manufactured for a total
of perhaps 18 months but 9-12 months more typical.
Many of their products ran their market life
in two or three batches of production only to be
replaced by the next greatest thing.

Return on investment peaks when the agile
supplier of goods figures out how to optimize
their product in ways most attractive to
consumers. These folks are always successful
and probably much more successful than those
who spend $time$ arguing the finer points
of their patents before a jury educated in
American public schools.

There is probably no feature of an RV that
is worthy of patenting or even copyrighting
but Mr. V has demonstrated his ability
to offer an attractive product that is constantly
evolving into the next greatest thing.

Bob . . .

( "Problems are the price of progress. )
( Don't bring me anything but trouble. )
( Good news weakens me." )
( -Charles F. Kettering- )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: