Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z14 Bat/Alt Master switch circuit questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtitsworth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Z14 Bat/Alt Master switch circuit questions Reply with quote

Bob,

I’m building a Z-14 (dual bat, dual alt, split bus) with a 100amp primary alt, a 20amp aux alt (SD20), and identical Odyssey style, AGM batteries. Thus, I’ve biased my heavy/normal loads toward the primary side/bus (heated prop, heated seats, etc).

I noted the z-14 drawing has s700-2-10 (three way) bat/alt master switches, which are functionally equivalent to traditional Cessna style split master switches. I understand this is a useful approach for preventing activation of an alternator without an associated battery on-line. However, as shown, it also means that taking a battery off-line dictates that the associated alternator is off-line.

It seems that it would still be “ok” to leave an alternator on-line, with it’s associated battery off-line, as long as the cross-tie and other battery were still on-line. However, this is not possible as shown in a std Z-14.

I’m interested in knowing more regarding these potential scenarios and potential alternative approaches…

<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>What typically happens when a battery fails that might cause someone to want it off-line?
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Shorts a cell, which causes it to drop approx 2 volts (???)
<![if !supportLists]>         i. <![endif]>Would I even know this while the alternator is working???
<![if !supportLists]>       ii. <![endif]>What happens if it (and the associated alt) is left on-line???
<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Battery cable becomes disconnected, or contactor fails, etc - which causes the battery to become off-line
<![if !supportLists]>         i. <![endif]>What happens to the alternator that is now working without an associated battery?
<![if !supportLists]>       ii. <![endif]>How would I know to turn on the cross-tie (assuming it was “normally” off) to tie the lone alternator to the remaining good battery?
<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>Other Failure scenarios???

<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>It seems the wiring alternatives would include:

<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Do nothing (leave z14 as-is) since the potential loss of a battery is low, and even so I could simply either 1) leave the failed battery and associated good alt on-line (with the cross connector) and/or 2) complete an expedited landing with only the aux power system.

<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Include a pullable breaker (or fuse) in series with the battery contactor side of the s700-2-10 master switch to allow the alternator to be on-line with the battery off-line (by pulling that breaker/fuse) and leaving the switch in the both-on position. Of course this essentially overrides the inherent alternator only prevention and implies the user knows the cross-tie must therefore also be on.

<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>Create a more complex “logic-based” circuit with separate bat and alt switches that only energizes the alternator switches when a appropriate battery is also connected (either the associated battery or the other battery and the cross-tie)

<![if !supportLists]>d. <![endif]>Create fully separate bat and alt switches and leave it up to the pilot to get it right (the simplest, but perhaps not the safest).

<![if !supportLists]>e. <![endif]>Other???

Rick

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: