Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Compressor Repair Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlump51(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Repair Help Reply with quote

I purchased a 5hp, 26 gallon air compressor from Harbor Freight. It worked well for a year, but now will barely turnover and will not develop full rpm and, therefore, will not compress air. A friend of mine tells me the compressor is trying to start using "run" current. I've checked the circuit breaker and the centrifugal clutch switch that triggers the start vs. run circuit. They both check out fine. The oil level is correct and the compressor cylinder appears fine. I have removed the start capacitor, but haven't had any luck finding a replacement.

Three questions:

Has anyone else solved a similar problem and, if so, how?

Does anyone know where I can get an air compressor start capacitor?

If I have to change the entire motor, is there a cheap (cheaper than buying another compressor) place to buy one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
rv6lynch(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Air Compressor Repair Help Reply with quote

Ted.

Give me a call at 573 893 2291 at around 9am cst. I can help you trouble
shoot the compressor.

Bob Lynch
Jeff City, Mo.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Repair Help Reply with quote

Ted Lumpkin wrote:

Quote:

I purchased a 5hp, 26 gallon air compressor from Harbor Freight. It worked well for a year, but now will barely turnover and will not develop full rpm and, therefore, will not compress air. A friend of mine tells me the compressor is trying to start using "run" current. I've checked the circuit breaker and the centrifugal clutch switch that triggers the start vs. run circuit. They both check out fine. The oil level is correct and the compressor cylinder appears fine. I have removed the start capacitor, but haven't had any luck finding a replacement.

Three questions:

Has anyone else solved a similar problem and, if so, how?

Does anyone know where I can get an air compressor start capacitor?

If I have to change the entire motor, is there a cheap (cheaper than buying another compressor) place to buy one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted

Most electronic supply houses & just about any heating & air
conditioning supply house should have a replacement that will work. Take
the old one with you & find one with equal or higher voltage rating &
uFD rating that's somewhere close to the value on your old one. If you
go to an electronics house, be sure they understand that it's for AC
operation, not DC.

I think that HF sells motors, too.

Charlie

brett.morawski(at)buckeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Repair Help Reply with quote

Every HF electric tool I've ever bought has come with spare brushes. No
other tool company I've ever bought from has needed to include extra
brushes, so I've always assumed HF motors are junk. I don't know jack about
electric motors or capacitors, but if its from HF I'd check those brushes.

--

perfeng(at)3rivers.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Repair Help Reply with quote

Ted,
Your friend is exactly right. Without doing a load test or other
diagnostics, plain and simple they use very cheap motors in the "off-shore"
products Harbor Freight sells, especially the motors. For about $100-$200
you can get a well suited Dayton motor from Graingers. Bottom line...you
get what you pay for!

Jim Duckett, N708JD - RV-7A

DO NOT ARCHIVE
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: