Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: newe Reply with quote

This may start a new thread -- but have Kolbs ever been stolen? On
trailer or at airport?
I'm impressed with the LOJACK system of recovery for cars, should be
good for aircraft too
Russ Kinne

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: newe Reply with quote

At 02:58 PM 12/3/2007, Russ Kinne wrote:

Quote:
This may start a new thread -- but have Kolbs ever been stolen? On
trailer or at airport?
I'm impressed with the LOJACK system of recovery for cars, should be
good for aircraft too

Seems an ultralight or homebuilt would be a dumb thing to steal... it's a
small community (especially these days when everybody's online), and the
aircraft would likely be recognized.

In the big days of drug smuggling in the 1970's, though, almost any plane
with decent cargo capacity in the southern states was fair game.

-Dana
--
It's only premarital sex if you're going to get married.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: newe Reply with quote

Back in the late 60-early 70's aircraft avionics were being stolen. None were recovered until someone realized that the thieves were taking one radio out and putting it into another aircraft with the same make radio. Then they stole the radio from the second aircraft. Tough to trace when you are looking for the wrong serial number.

For years there was a Mitsubshi twin turbo sitting at PA airport-- property of US Gov. Yours to buy cheap--if you could get the residual white powder out of it!! Fast aircraft-- but easy to get behind of with a result of pilot getting bitten hard.

KolbFlyerJim(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: newe Reply with quote

An UltraStar with A decent cargo capacity (laughable)
hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: newe Reply with quote

Jim:

I started flying cross country in my Ultrastar two weeks after I got it flying.

I secured my bag under the fuselage, below the seat, with a bungee type net with hooks. Map recon was done prior to takeoff. Had to remember heading, distance and time, check points, etc. Folded up the map and sat on it. Made a lot of flights from Gantt International Airport, Alabama, to Tallahassee, Florida, and return in late 1984 and 1985. Was very exciting to do these flights back then. Landed at airports, vacant lots next to gas stations, cattle lots, hay fields, and parking lots. There were a lot of forced and precautionary landings for everything from plugged fuel filters, loose spark plug caps, cigarette packs going through the prop, along with muffler bolts and washers. Once did a forced landing on the foot ball field at Sebring Highschool, Sebring, Florida. Right after I landed and shut down, I heard the bell ring for recess. I was soon covered up by curious high school students. Bell rang again, they went back to class, and I took off for Miami. The landing in the football stadium was done without the luxury of brakes.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

[quote] From: KolbFlyerJim(at)aol.com (KolbFlyerJim(at)aol.com)
Subject: Re: newe

An UltraStar with A decent cargo capacity (laughable)
[b]

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: