Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

I have flown 3 different Challenger II's and I have flown 4 different models of Kolb's and its just my opinion The KOLB's are superior better flyers and you dont have to worry about the wings or the fusalage flexing like in the Challengers ( I dont like that ) thats why I am sticking to Kolb's

Ellery Building MK3Xtra

do not archive

hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Hi Prop,

Just another note...

The FS II really is a single seat plane in my opinion. The Seat in the back
is very small, no controls and really only suited for a child or small
person.

The Challenger II has room for two normal size adults and dual controls but,
very little extra space beyond that.

The Challenger II has a higher VNE of 100mph and the FS II is 90mph.

I guess its all in what you want to do.

Carlos G
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Hi Propwash,

I have a Firestar II with a 447 and I have about 50hrs in a QC Challenger
II LW with a 503.

The Challenger has flaperons and the FSII does not have flaps. The FS II
seems to be a little qiucker on the response to control inputs but not
sensitive. The rudder feel is the biggest difference between the two planes.
The Challenger seems a little vague at times usually right after reducing
power. The FS II seems very positive through out all speeds when compared
to a Challenger. I find the FS tracks better through turns while the
Challenger seems to need constant attention when making coordinated turns.
The FS II is a tail dragger and may take alittle getting used to when
compared to a Challenger.

You mgiht try practicing keeping the Challenger balanced only on its main
gear along the runway while doing touch and go's. Or practice high speed
taxis down the runway keeping Challenger balanced again on its mains only.
This will help you practice steering with the rudder and give you an idea
what a tail wheel is about. If you can, please do find someone who can give
you some time in a taildragger as this is the best way to prepare.

I hope this helps with your questions regarding the two planes.

Best Regards
Carlos G

---

indyaviator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

I own an fly a Firestar, but I learned to fly in a Challenger II Clip wing. There are pros and cons to both planes as I see them.

1. First off, the Chalenger II is a true two place plane, the Firestar is not.
2. The Chalenger is has a faster cruise speed.
3. The Kolb is structurally more substantial in my opinion. Take a look at the tail section design of the Challenger. If you grab the vertical stabilizer and give a good shake, and you'll see what I mean.
4. The Kolb will handle a rough field a lot better. Challengers have a weak nose gear design.
5. Challengers are known for adverse yaw, however this can be delt with.
6. I am not a fan of belt driven props (Challenger)
7. I am not a fan of inverted 2 strokes ( Challenger)
8. I feel safer in chromoly fuselage (Kolb)
9. The visibility of a kolb cannot be beat without a Bell helicopter.
10. Folding wings are a nice feature (Kolb)
11. Some Challenger pilots have reported bad flight characteristics when the doors are installed.
12. Tail draggers are cool.

Bryan Dever
[quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger
Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Quad City Challenger (2 seat
model) and the Kolb Firestar II - in terms of similiar flight
characteristics. I have a half a dozen hours in the Challenger (long wing
model) and am considering purchasing a FS II.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my Sport Pilot test in a Challenger, and I own a Firestar II. I would
not trade at all. The only thing positive that I can say about the
Challenger is that it is relatively easy to land. Other than that no real
comparison for me, they are just not as much fun to fly.
Larry C
Do not archive

Russ Kinne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

And please, propwash, use the widest runway you can find! You might need it in training.
On Dec 6, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Carlos wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Carlos" <grageda(at)innw.net (grageda(at)innw.net)>
Hi Propwash,
I have a Firestar II with a 447  and  I have about 50hrs in a QC Challenger II LW with a 503.
The Challenger has flaperons  and the FSII does not have flaps. The FS II seems to be a little qiucker on the response to control inputs but not sensitive. The rudder feel is the biggest difference between the two planes. The Challenger seems a little vague at times usually right after reducing power. The FS II seems very positive through out all speeds  when compared to a Challenger. I find the FS tracks better through turns while the Challenger seems to need constant attention when making coordinated turns. The FS II is a tail dragger and may take alittle getting used to when compared to a Challenger.
You mgiht try practicing keeping the Challenger balanced only on its main gear along the runway  while doing touch and go's. Or practice high speed taxis down the runway keeping Challenger balanced again on its mains only. This will help you practice steering with the rudder and give you an idea what a tail wheel is about. If you can, please do find someone who can give you some time in a taildragger as this is the best way to prepare.
I hope this helps with your questions regarding the two planes.
Best Regards
Carlos G
---

beauford173(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Took a "BFR" in a Challenger II a short while ago.... My distinct
impression was that the rudder was only loosely affiliated with the
remainder of the airplane... and that the relationship was somewhat
antagonistic...

Stick with the Kolbs...

Worth what ye paid fer it...
beauford
FF076
Brandon FL
Do not archive...
---

propwash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challe Reply with quote

One of the posters mentioned that I should practice on a wide runnway? Is there any reason for that? Do you need a wider runway than normal with a Kolb? I have heard that when the plane gets up on both mains it has a desire to swerve to the right.

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/6/2007 8:17:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, indyaviator(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
12. Tail draggers are cool.

Bryn,

Very good report.
Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/6/2007 10:39:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lasvegas890(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Do you need a wider runway than normal with a Kolb?

Hi there Propwash,

Don't let the tail dragger handling comments scare you. Homer designed the Kolbs with the main gear located further aft, than say, a Piper Cub, so it doesn't act the same way. The Kolb handles very gently on the ground. I learned to fly my Kolb FireStar by following the instructions in the builders manual. First, I taxied a lot to get the feel of the rudder and tail wheel action. Time spent taxiing also helps to get familiar with the throttle positioning needed to make the plane move, and the seating position in reference to the ground. Then I started doing crow hops.  Just add enough throttle to get it moving and when it comes off the ground, just slightly reduce the throttle and the plane will settle right down onto the ground again. Always treat the throttle gently. You will find that the Kolbs are light on the tail, so you have to have the stick back whenever you add much throttle, lest the prop thrust will push the plane over onto its nose. Won't hurt the plane much if you do; just your pride Smile Do your practicing on a calm day and after you get proficient at crow hops, it's time to go around the pattern. On landing, carry some power (3000~3500 RPM) and keep the airspeed up. When you reach ground level you'll be in the same position as you were when you did the crow hops, so land it the same way as you did then. One other thing, if you are using the original design tail wheel, you will find that the Kolb will not turn very sharp. In order to make a U-turn on the runway, you have to get all the way over to the edge of the runway before starting your turn. This is the only time that you will need that WIDER runway. Worked for me.
Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

I wondered about that too??? He must have been referring to a Challenger.

If the builder didn't get the wheels aligned you might get one that swerves
but this isn't normal. OK, yes if you grab a bunch of throttle at low speeds
depending on the prop rotation it will turn on way or the other but it is
after all a airplane. I also heard the strong advise to get tail wheel
training. Yes Kolbs are tail wheel airplanes but they are the easiest tail
wheel airplanes there are to fly. By all means get training but Kolbs steer
more like a nose dragger.

Its a real good idea to leave a bit of the E-Mail that you are responding to
so we know what you are responding too.

Again worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

A wide runway will give some room to swerve, or get off track, no
matter what the airplane. Just gives you more room, and more time,
to get things back in order.
Far as I can see, Kolbs are as good as, or better than the others.
Many planes tend tp swerve a little when they get light on the wheels
-- that's what the rudder is used for, to correct the swings.
On Dec 6, 2007, at 10:38 PM, propwash wrote:

Quote:

One of the posters mentioned that I should practice on a wide
runnway? Is there any reason for that? Do you need a wider runway
than normal with a Kolb? I have heard that when the plane gets up
on both mains it has a desire to swerve to the right.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=150929#150929

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challe Reply with quote

If you are new to tail wheel planes, landing a Kolb on grass is much easier than on pavement. With grass, if you get a little yaw on landing, the tires slide a bit and it is much more forgiving. If you get a bit sideways on pavement, the wheels grip like crazy and there is a much greater chance of a ground loop.

A tailwheel plane is harder to land, no doubt about it. I also feel more limited in crosswinds than I do in a tricycle gear plane. That being said, the Kolb is a very nice and well designed plane, and its worth the effort to learn to fly a taildragger. Given the structural issues I have read about with Challengers, I would never even fly in one if someone offered me a ride.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Given the structural issues I have read about with Challengers, I would
never even fly in one if someone offered me a ride.>>

Hi ,
I would love to hear about them. I have flown a Challenger for years, built
it myself and it always struck me as very strongly engineered. I certainly
had nothing break and I banged her down pretty hard once or twice.
CVheers

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Then I started doing crow hops. >>

Hi Propwash,

DONT DO IT WHISKY VICTORS WAY>. It worked for him but I reckon he is one lucky Joe. Taxi by all means, get used to the throttle position, even taxy fast enough to get the tail up.

BUT! At that stage GO FOR IT. The last thing you need is messing about with the ground close at just over flying speed. It is a recipe for disaster. You get a puff of wind and suddenly you are a bit higher than you intended and the end of the runway or a hedge is coming up and you close the throttle a bit quick.....Kapoww.

Get 1000ft under you and you have time to sort things out.

Pat

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

My distinct
antagonistic...
Hiya Beauford.

You have a way with words. That was great. I would disagree but I still
laughed.
Certainly the Challenger needs a bootful of rudder to lead into a turn, in
fact she won`t go round without it, but once you appreciate that fact..she`s
OK

Cheers

Pat

beauford173(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Brother Ladd...
I respect your more favorable impression of the Challenger's
characteristics, based as it is upon much more time in the machine than I
have... However, sir... I would ask you if your Challenger time is in the
UK approved variant...? According to the NTSB documentation I have read, in
1994, the Popular Flying Association in the UK felt compelled to ban further
importation and sales of the Challenger until it was redesigned for the UK
with a 25% larger vertical tail and dorsal fin to remedy directional
stability deficiencies which prevented it from meeting UK certification
requirements. This inherent yaw instability was apparently further worsened
when the optional cabin side doors were fitted on the airplane, at which
point its yaw characteristics could become uncontrollable. If you haven't
seen it and you are interested in what the NTSB wrote to the Challenger
factory on the issue, see www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/1996/A96_43_44.pdf

Your comment about needing a "bootful" was true enough...but that wasn't the
troubling part... I have flown planes that required healthy amounts of
rudder... With this ship, further increasing (gently, I thought) the rudder
input to the point which finally began to move the yaw string resulted in a
delayed perception that ever increasing amounts of rudder were continuing to
be fed in... despite my conscious attempt to add no more rudder than that
needed to begin the yaw correction process... It gave me the impression of
having divergent yaw stability...and I found it uncomfortable.

Now, Patrick, I am the first to admit that for all intents and purposes, I
am dead from the waist down... (I have been married 43 years)...and
kinesthetic inputs to my butt by airplanes are probably not as readily
recognized as they once were, but I had more trouble reading what this
little airplane was telling me through the rudder than any other machine I
can recall... I walked away from it disgusted with myself that I had not
done a better job of it, despite the check ride instructor's thumbs-up...

Most of all, it made me appreciate the Kolb for its lack of significant
vices... generally speaking, what one inputs is what one gets... and as long
as it has flying speed and is not wrapped up in an accelerated state, I am
convinced it will offer few surprises...even to a geezer like me...

Worth what ye paid fer it.
Do Not Archive

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

Hiya Beauford.

. I would disagree cerrtainly the Challenger needs a bootful of rudder to
lead into a turn, in
fact she won`t go round without it, but once you appreciate that fact..she`s
OK

Cheers

Pat

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

> Brother Ladd...
Quote:
I respect your more favorable impression of the Challenger's
characteristics, based as it is upon much more time in the machine than I
have... > beauford

Beauford:

Thanks for your input on this thread.

I have never flown a Challenger, so I can not comment on how one flies, what
to do, and/or what not to do when flying one.

About the only thing I know about a Challenger is how to recognize a
Challenger pilot that has recently had a hard landing on the pointed end of
the airplane. Usually, they will be wearing a cast from the tips of their
toes to their waist. This is the result of wiping off the nose and nose
gear, leaving the pilots feet and legs to accomplish the remainder of the
crashing. I understand it is not too difficult to accomplish the wiping off
part since the nose gear is attached to an aluminum cross tube with two hose
clamps.

I must add, I am quite impressed with some of the comments the Kolb List has
been receiving on this thread. It always amazes me for folks with little or
no experience flying a Kolb to attempt to teach a new Kolb pilot how to fly
one for the first time over the internet. Glad I did not have access to the
computer back in 1984, when I completed my Ultrastar and flew it. I may
have used some of this unique computer based flying advice.

Folks on the receiving end of some of this advice would probably be
surprised to know some of their advisors have zero to very little actual
pilot in command time in a Kolb aircraft.

Despite the cold temps and lumpy air, I climbed aboard my mkIII and
committed aviation for the first time since my return flight from the Kolb
Flyin the end of Sep. All I can say it, it sure felt good to be in the air
in a real airplane once again.

Take care,

john h

Titus, Alabama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

UK approved variant...? >>

Hi ,
You are quite right. the wing loading did not meet the spec. of an ultrlight
at that time. A new wing length was introduced a little shorter than your
long wing version.
A dorsal extension to the tailplane was added after I had flown mine for
some time. I really couldn`t detect much difference.

I never flew the Challenger with doors. I opted for the open cockpit version

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The Challenger Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Flight characteristics of the Kolb FSII & The
Challenger
Quote:

My distinct
antagonistic...

Hiya Beauford.

You have a way with words. That was great. I would disagree but I still
laughed.

Hi Pat,
Beauford almost always makes me laugh, but I thought the description was
pretty accurate. The one that I took my check ride in had a disturbing
tendency to try its best to be a canard type plane and the only way once it
progressed so far to get it back in line was cross control the critter. (The
instructor had told me not to chase the rudder. Apparently that is a common
occurrence.) Once I flew it enough to get the hang of it every thing of
course was ok, but it wasn't what I would call fun, or make me want to do it
a lot.
Larry C

do not archive or have we given up on that. I seem to see it very rarely
anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: