Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Flight Report Reply with quote

The fog finally lifted a bit Saturday morning. I hooked up the plane and headed for the airport. By the time I was unfolded and ready to go, the ceiling had lifted to a safe level and a nice hole was forming over the airport. I took off and did two touch and goes as the engine hadn't run in over a month. With all in the green, I started climbing into the ever expanding hole.

I finally found the top at 9000ft. It was quite cold but the view was worth it. There was an ocean of clouds in every direction. I could hear some air traffic at Roseburg (65 miles to the North) so there must have been a few other holes, but none close. The bright sun on those perfectly white clouds was breath taking. The top of Mount Shasta (95 miles to the South) was sticking up like an island. I floated around and took pictures for half an hour or so and then retreated to warmer air down below. I had a blast doing steep turns around some small isolated puffs and had to bust through a few of course. Flights like these are what my little Kolb is all about. I flew for one hour and burned just over three gallons of gas. I'll post a few pictures below.....

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

The Hole.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.16 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

The Hole.JPG

Shasta zoom.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.99 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

Shasta zoom.JPG

Looking West.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.2 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

Looking West.JPG

Through the Hole.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.5 KB
 Viewed:  401 Time(s)

Through the Hole.JPG

Underneath.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.46 KB
 Viewed:  374 Time(s)

Underneath.JPG

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight Report Reply with quote

What'a View....
If you frame one of those pictures...
You'll enjoy that flight every time you look at it....
Thanks fer sharing...
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in Brrrr MN

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

biglar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Flight Report Reply with quote

Nice story and great pics, Roger, but it makes me nervous, too. I had a
real bad experience with a "sucker hole" closing behind me when I was a
freshly licensed private pilot in WA, back in '95. Thanks for sharing,
and be careful. Lar. Do not
Archive. (I'll ask it, too - is that still needed ?? Seldom
see anyone use it anymore)

R. Hankins wrote:
Quote:

The fog finally lifted a bit Saturday morning. I hooked up the plane and headed for the airport. By the time I was unfolded and ready to go, the cieling had lifted to a safe level and a nice hole was forming over the airport. I took off and did two touch and goes as the engine hadn't run in over a month. With all in the green, I started climbing into the ever expanding hole.

I finally found the top at 9000ft. It was quite cold but the view was worth it. There was an ocean of clouds in every direction. I could hear some air traffic at Roseburg (65 miles to the North) so there must have been a few other holes, but none close. The bright sun on those perfectly white clouds was breath taking. The top of Mount Shasta (95 miles to the South) was sticking up like an island. I floated around and took pictures for half an hour or so and then retreated to warmer air down below. I had a blast doing steep turns around some small isolated

"Vamoose"
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight Report Reply with quote

Lar:
Good advice. I'm very wary of sucker holes as well. This hole was about 5 miles wide and 10 miles long. It just looks smaller from 9000ft. I took most of my pictures along the edge and in a narrower arm, but I always had lots of open air at my back.

jb92563

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight Report Reply with quote

Those are beautiful pictures.

Takes me back to one particular glider flight training session with an instructor in a 2-33.

The tow pilot took us through a hole in the breaking up low cloud cover at about 2000 AGL a 100' above the cloud deck.

The instructor took over the controls after release and said "do as I say, not as I do" and proceeded to take us through the mountains and valleys of the breaking up cloud cover like a roller coaster ride, with the occasional wing tip slicing through the cloud....he was yelling Yaaaa hooo and other various expressions of joy in the process....

At first I thought he had gone mad....but I soon realized he was just having some good fun and I quickly joined him in his exuberant expressions.

Best flight I ever had in my life!

Thanks for the Pics Roger, put a big smile on my face today...I'll save some of those for a screen background I think.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: